Just saw Texas AD evaluating the entire FB program after today's loss | The Boneyard

Just saw Texas AD evaluating the entire FB program after today's loss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Don't think Charlie Strong gonna make it past this season. He wanted the big gig and now he is facing the pressure. Why can't Benedict make similar statement to give us some hope? Why do we accept this medicore performance week after week?

It looks like Herman will be at Texas next season. Sucks for Houston but that's life of a G5. My only wish is someone dumb enough and hire Diaco away this offseason.

Reaction Score
Don't think Charlie Strong gonna make it past this season. He wanted the big gig and now he is facing the pressure. Why can't Benedict make similar statement to give us some hope? Why do we accept this medicore performance week after week?

It looks like Herman will be at Texas next season. Sucks for Houston but that's life of a G5. My only wish is someone dumb enough and hire Diaco away this offseason.
Maybe ND would take him back as a DC since he seems to excel at that. Apparently he is not cut out to be HC. He has just been a crazy guy who extends the careers of his some of his mentors who have not moved on with the times.

Reaction Score
Because we are not...nor will we ever be Texas

you mean we don't have tens of millions to hire and fire coaches at will, and then hire basically any coach we want because we're a blue blood in the best recruiting state in the country? darn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Because we are not...nor will we ever be Texas
Football, baseball and softball maybe/probably
Everything else - Texas is no UConn
Texas had the $ to get its own network
Do you honestly think the Texas men bb job is a more favorable than UConn's?
Texas is not that big of a deal in my opinion

Reaction Score
001.jpg

Reaction Score

Well your opinion is wrong but ok

Reaction Score
It really isn't that big of a deal in the sense that UT basketball hasn't been that good. (meaning, not great). Their buying power is tremendous though. That makes working there a tremendous opportunity in that compensation and facilities will have no limit if need be.

Reaction Score
I get it. We are not Texas. However, year 3 it is not unreasonable to expect a competent coaching staff with a team that has a chance to win in the AAC. We are not losing to Michigan here. We are losing to the fruits with their first year coach.

Our Ad needs to make a statement. It is not too much to ask him to make a statement that he evaluating the entire football operation like Texas Ad just did.

Reaction Score
There was a time when no one would have thought it possible UConn could be a national basketball power. Why we think so small never ceases to amaze me. We can recruit across the country if we are in the right conference and can emerge as a competitive national program with the right staff and commitment. All things are possible except when we say they aren't .

Reaction Score
There was a time when no one would have thought it possible UConn could be a national basketball power. Why we think so small never ceases to amaze me. We can recruit across the country if we are in the right conference and can emerge as a competitive national program with the right staff and commitment. All things are possible except when we say they aren't .

Football is a different monster. The rosters are so much bigger and depth is much more important. I don't think we're capable of achieving the same success we have had in basketball, but I do think we should be able to regularly compete for conference championships in a league like the AAC. Currently we should be winning 8-9 games/year on average. If we were in a power conference I think 7-8 win seasons with occasional chances to compete for a conference championship is our ceiling, and I would be very happy with that.

Reaction Score
you mean we don't have tens of millions to hire and fire coaches at will, and then hire basically any coach we want because we're a blue blood in the best recruiting state in the country? darn.
yes

Reaction Score

you made my point.....thank you

Reaction Score

The same unrealistic expectations that has made soooooo many people disappointed this season.

Reaction Score
Dude, you have a sort memory. We had a national level competitive football program that was on the move.

you mean the team that went 8-4 and got crushed in the Fiesta Bowl?

if the crazy fumble vs WVU or the crazy long field goal vs. USF didn't happen....where would your expectations be?

I really don't mean to be a d***he, just trying to say hey, we've had some bad luck with coaching and players transferring, maybe it's time to realign what we expect and give some long rope for this coaching staff to hang themselves (couple years) and see what they can do after having a full go at it.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Football is a different monster. The rosters are so much bigger and depth is much more important. I don't think we're capable of achieving the same success we have had in basketball, but I do think we should be able to regularly compete for conference championships in a league like the AAC. Currently we should be winning 8-9 games/year on average. If we were in a power conference I think 7-8 win seasons with occasional chances to compete for a conference championship is our ceiling, and I would be very happy with that.

People forget also forget that we had over half a century of playing basketball at the highest level as a (varying on the era) competitive regional program. The university's football program has been FBS for fewer years than all of the posters here have been alive. It is possible to step up and change the stature of a program, but in the case of the basketball team it took many years. Who knows, maybe football will make the same leap, but I guarantee nobody here would have the patience for it. Winning 7-9 yearly (depending on which conference we end up in long-term), going to bowl games, getting top local players and continuing to send a good number to the league should be fine for now.

Reaction Score
Why do people still use the Calhoun/Geno rise in basketball as justification we can become a national power in football? It's apples and gorillas. To even have a shot at success in football these days you need to be a member of the club, we can't even get an invite. UConn will eventually find a coaching staff that will be able to compete in the AAC and get a few bowl invites here and there. That's the reality.

Reaction Score
People forget also forget that we had over half a century of playing basketball at the highest level as a (varying on the era) competitive regional program. The university's football program has been FBS for fewer years than all of the posters here have been alive. It is possible to step up and change the stature of a program, but in the case of the basketball team it took many years. Who knows, maybe football will make the same leap, but I guarantee nobody here would have the patience for it. Winning 7-9 yearly (depending on which conference we end up in long-term), going to bowl games, getting top local players and continuing to send a good number to the league should be fine for now.

Agreed. If we ever find stability in a power conference I think the standard should/could be 7-8 win seasons with the occasional (maybe once every recruiting cycle/5 years) top 25 finish and chance at a conference championship. I think that's our obtainable ceiling one day.

Reaction Score
FWIW:

Charlie Strong's job at Texas safe through season, source says

Geoff Ketchum ‏@gkketch 5m 5 minutes ago
Multiple sources have told Orangebloods tonight that Charlie Strong will take over full control and play-calling duties from Vance Bedford.

Geoff Ketchum ‏@gkketch 6m 6 minutes ago
It remains to be seen how the situation will be presented, but the expectation moving forward is that Strong will serve as the acting DC.

Edit add: Reports: Charlie Strong will take over defense from Vance Bedford

Reaction Score
Texas does not want to miss out on the Tom Herman sweepstake. Strong is gone. Strong might be a good fit here, but I doubt we be smart enough to fire Diaco and hire him or another coach. All I know is Diaco must go on 1/2/17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom