Just got back from the XL, sat behind Breanna Stewart, Sue B., Maya and Kalana G. | The Boneyard

Just got back from the XL, sat behind Breanna Stewart, Sue B., Maya and Kalana G.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
No, it doesn't get much better than that. Maya's mom was there too. Wow! Bria Hartley she is the glue for this team...she penetrates, makes big shots, plays great defense, makes driving lay-ups. Yes, our freshman KML was exceptional...I mean does it get any better than 50 points in two games for a freshman, 25 points in her first big college game, 8 rebounds against the trees of Stanford...Nope it doesn't.

I was really worried when I saw how badly we were shooting, but the crowd was awesome they kept the spirit alive in the gym and our girls responded. It was a tough, physical game...I knew it was going to be when they introduced Stanford's starting line-up 6'4", 6'3", 6'2", 6'1", 5'8"...then they introduced UConn: 6'5", 5'7", 5'9" 5'8", 5'10"... I was thinking what is wrong with this picture...but the opening sequence and UConn defense was suffocating...they were blocking all kinds of shots and stealing the basketball. Stanford didn't trust their young guards to bring the ball up so the "O" sisters took the honors...credit Tara for recognizing the potential disaster that awaited her young, inexperienced guards. But, Stanford is a well coached, physical team and it was a virtual war out there for sure.

A lot of people will talk about Tiffany not having a good game and for sure her offensive output was horrendous, she was out of control on the offensive end and it looked like she was forcing things. However, when it is all said and done...who can complain about 13 rebounds, 9 points, 6 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and only 1 turnover. Hey, she may not have had her best game with regards to scoring but she did an awful lot in the other categories. While we are on the subject, how about the fact that the team as a whole only had 7 turnovers...unbelievable stat!

This game was a team effort and make no mistake it is a big win... Even though it is early it is still a big win over the number 3 ranked team in the country. Stanford is going to win a lot of games this year and this win will stand out at the end of the year. Of course, being that it was a home game for UConn and that it was early it won't hurt Stanford too much at the end of the year.

N. Ogumike was incredible...her getting her 2nd foul at the 10 minute mark of the first half was big for UConn. She really asserted herself well in the 2nd half and it was easy to see why she is an All American. The defense on C. Ogumike by Faris was incredible...the team defense was incredible...

I was a little disappointed with UConn only scoring 68 points but realistically, it was the first big game of the season, Stanford did play big and physical, we did miss a lot of shots that we would normally make, plus we missed 10 foul shouts out of 21 (52 percent). We only shot 7 for 31 from three point...if we make 5 more threes and half of the foul shots we missed...we score 88 points and that is what I would call characteristically UConn. So we can take a lot from the game...we got a big win and I don't think we shoot this poorly again for the rest of the year.

It was also great seeing all the boneyarders up at the game. I went with the always entertaining Tony C. We prepared for the Palo Alto Cardinal by eating some Peking Duck at the Asian Bistro before the game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Oh yeah...one more great stat in this game...we out-rebounded the giants of Stanford 46 to 45 and we got 18 offensive rebounds to their 12. Now that is impressive!

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Great analysis...thanks. Now what about Breanna, Sue, Maya and Kalana's reactions to the game and their interactions???

I was surprised by the low scoring, but the opening 5-10 minutes was like a championship boxing match wherein both fighters respected each others lethality, causing both to jab and probe for an extended period.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Sue is quite reserved...not showing too much emotion, Kalana is always animated, she seems to have a boyfriend and they were talking and laughing a lot but she was up and cheering when UConn made the big shots. With Maya it was like she is still on the team...she was into the game big time and really cheered a lot when Tiff and Caroline scored...Maya is very social with the folks sitting around her. Maya's mom seems like she knows everybody... Breanna also was quite reserved she was on her feet and clapping with the crowd, she may have had her coach with her at the game...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
CFerr thanks for posting your view of things.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Sue is quite reserved...not showing too much emotion, Kalana is always animated, she seems to have a boyfriend and they were talking and laughing a lot but she was up and cheering when UConn made the big shots. With Maya it was like she is still on the team...she was into the game big time and really cheered a lot when Tiff and Caroline scored...Maya is very social with the folks sitting around her. Maya's mom seems like she knows everybody... Breanna also was quite reserved she was on her feet and clapping with the crowd, she may have had her coach with her at the game...

Great courtside info ! Appreciate the reporting... :cool:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I saw you and TonyC at one point from across the way. :)

I echo your comments regarding Breanna. I had a good view of her, and she doesn't show a lot on her face. But add her to what's already on campus, and watch out.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I saw you and TonyC at one point from across the way. :)

I echo your comments regarding Breanna. I had a good view of her, and she doesn't show a lot on her face. But add her to what's already on campus, and watch out.
She is Kellyesque.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Well I got home last night and found CL&P while fixing the wires knocked out our ATT cable so no phone, internet or tv needless to say the game was never recorded. CL&P said they couldnt put the wires back because it wasnt CL&Ps it was ATT so today ATT came out and repaired it.

Charile great analysis. Gotta tell you guys. If we shoot better from the line and make a couple of those layups we win by 20+. Kinda gives you an idea how good this team is with only one senior and with next years 3 Headed Monster class coming in. TAM will be a very tuff game but UConn will have to shoot better againest Baylor then they did tonight. Baylor is a really good team and after watching last night we have to make those layups and foul shots. We will be a much better team as the season moves forward .

Bria Hartley hit the big shots when we need them. Miss Clutch. She can create and score inside and out. KML is amazin. Could she be a 1st team AA if she continues to put up numbes similiar to what she did the past 2 games?

I will add Tara is a really really good coach. Handleing the press with the O sisters was a good move. BTW who is Camp? What a great game she had. I kinda think last night alot of fans realize how good UConn is. The fact that she shot so poorly from the line and the field and still found a way to win ... well thats what champions are made of . Give alot of credit to Bria and KML they have guts and are fearless.

This weekend will be more or less a chance to develop our team and work on some things getting ready for the second half of the season and TAM.

TAM will be a test. Bone in the middle at 6'5 and TAM always plays great defense. Dont overlook this game. IMO they are a top 5 team along with Baylor UConn Stanford and ND.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Oh yeah...one more great stat in this game...we out-rebounded the giants of Stanford 46 to 45 and we got 18 offensive rebounds to their 12. Now that is impressive!

One more. Seven turnovers.

Seven.

Against a team of that caliber.

Very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads