Just got back from Italy... | The Boneyard

Just got back from Italy...

tv

Reaction Score
...and during our time in Tuscany, spotted this by the hotel's pool. We are everywhere. :)

Wife and I spoke with this couple, who are both UConn alumni. Go Huskies!

Even better, someone else on-site was wearing a Syracuse shirt. We took the high road.

Tuscany Huskies.jpg

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Syracuse is a city on Sicily.
Been there. Actually with a group and it was my birthday. We were visiting a cave that was an ancient Greek limestone quarry when the group started singing happy birthday to me. Huge echo that could probably be heard in Athens.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
...and during our time in Tuscany, spotted this by the hotel's pool. We are everywhere. :)

Even better, someone else on-site was wearing a Syracuse shirt. We took the high road.

View attachment 101074
This reminded me. My wife RIP and I were on a trip to California years ago and were staying at a hotel not far from Hearst Castle. We had gone to the pool where there was a group of people speaking a language I didn’t know. We got in the hot tub where when of the men joined us and i asked where they were from and in broken English he said Israel. (I’m Jewish but their Hebrew was way too fast for my limited vocabulary). So i thought how can i connect. So i said “ basketball” and he smiled and he repeated “basketball”. So i gave it a shot and said “Doron Sheffer” and he got the biggest smile and said very loud “DORON SHEFFER”. UConn rules.

Reaction Score
I am going on a 2 week drive of the southeastern states beginning next week. I will be very happy to remind people who just won back to back championships

Reaction Score

View attachment 101074
Me too, Ran into some fellow Huskies and one guy that told me Gonzaga was going to get us this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: tv
Reaction Score
I've met people who point out my UConn gear all over the world. Traded a few t-shirts and sweatshirts to locals for their soccer teams gear a couple times.

One of my favorite parts about sports is how it can bring random people together. I've got a t-shirt from the tazanian soccer team, and (I hope) some kid still has my 2011 championship t-shirt.

Reaction Score
Is this near San Gimignano? If so, I believe I stayed at this hotel :)

Baltic

Baltic
Reaction Score
Noice! I’ll be rep’ing UConn in London to Venice to Rome to Sorrento here shortly.

Still need to do logistics to get to each destination and a flight home
Did the Southern Italy trip earlier this Spring. We took high speed train from Rome to Naples, quick cab or Uber to the Ferry Terminal and high speed ferry to Sorrento. Logistically pretty easy without any hassles. When you get to Ferry Dock in Sorrento I would highly recommend taking a taxi to your accommodations, it is a very steep hill up to the city. Quick recommendation for a restaurant in Sorrento- Il Convivo, a little off the beaten path but great local atmosphere, food and reasonable prices.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
A few years back at Fiumicino (Rome's airport) while wearing a polo shirt ith a small UConn logo I heard a shout from ~50 yards away "Go UConn!". It ended up being a guy originally from Bologna who had lived in NYC for about eight years, starting around 2003.

On a different trip had a conversation in Venice with a couple who figured out right away that I was an American. They were both teachers at Northern Iowa and when I told them I was from Connecticut (wasn't wearing any UConn bling at that time) they started raving about our basketball programs.

I also have a picture of yours truly in front of the Coliseum wearing a UConn football jersey. Our school is well represented in Italy.

Reaction Score
Denmark and Norway in two weeks complete with several t-shirts and polos of the last several championships.
Antarctica next January. Not sure if it'll be t-shirt weather but maybe long sleeves..........

tv

Reaction Score
A few years back at Fiumicino (Rome's airport) while wearing a polo shirt ith a small UConn logo I heard a shout from ~50 yards away "Go UConn!". It ended up being a guy originally from Bologna who had lived in NYC for about eight years, starting around 2003.

On a different trip had a conversation in Venice with a couple who figured out right away that I was an American. They were both teachers at Northern Iowa and when I told them I was from Connecticut (wasn't wearing any UConn bling at that time) they started raving about our basketball programs.

I also have a picture of yours truly in front of the Coliseum wearing a UConn football jersey. Our school is well represented in Italy.
Also, while at a pizza restaurant just outside the Vatican, also caught a UConn Huskies hat...had to give out a "Go Huskies!" which brought the gentleman a big smile.

Reaction Score
I just got back from Italy on Monday night and while eating lunch in Bologna the guy who sits down next to us was an Italian who graduated from Uconn in the 1990's Not a huge basketball fan but he did like Kara Wolters for some reason.

Reaction Score
I just got back from Italy on Monday night and while eating lunch in Bologna the guy who sits down next to us was an Italian who graduated from Uconn in the 1990's Not a huge basketball fan but he did like Kara Wolters for some reason.
That's so incredibly weird.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Ran into a UConn fan at a winery in Saint-Émilion, France last fall.

Sounds impressive, but it was just a guy from Simsbury on vacation, so not sure it if that counts.

Reaction Score

View attachment 101074
Thats awesome. We just got back from a month in Tuscany and for a second I thought it was me and my wife.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Some small talk from a couple of UNC fans when in outer banks a few weeks ago. Very respectful, then again, who's going to talk $#!t right now

My next chance to show off will be on a cruise next month, can't wait

Reaction Score
Denmark and Norway in two weeks complete with several t-shirts and polos of the last several championships.
Antarctica next January. Not sure if it'll be t-shirt weather but maybe long sleeves..........
I had an uncle who spent a summer ( theirs)in Antarctica when he worked for P&W many years ago .He said it was an amazing experience but wouldn’t do it again .
As someone who escaped the CT winters and thinks AZ ‘s January are too cold it would be my worst.nightmare .

Reaction Score
Was in Italy for a bit in early May. Saw a Lady in Milan with a Huskies shirt on - we are everywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom