July, camps are over, 247 has Akron, UMass and Georgia State out-recruiting UConn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

July, camps are over, 247 has Akron, UMass and Georgia State out-recruiting UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm an Akron alum. I think this is where I'm supposed to chime in and defend the Zip honor after being called a "schlub" program....but I just can't. That might be the best descriptor they could warrant getting.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This entire thread cracks me up. It really does.

Some of the same people who post about the fact that Pasqualoni's recruiting is not necessarily better than Edsall's because stars mean nothing are now saying we are getting out-recruited and basing this on information provided by those very same services. What high comedy! So the services are only right when they support the narrative. Fantastic.

For my part, if the services still say at the end of the recruiting year that we got out recruited by the Zips and the Ragin' Cajuns, then we can talk some more about it. I'm not going to rate PP's recruiting as a body of work until that time, and perhaps even later...

Reaction Score
Already supplied,

http://m.si.com/1474685/analyzing-the-rankings/

No doubt there are anomalies, but as they say, the trend is your friend.

Recruiting is not over rated, but the ranking of recruits by self proclaimed expert, IS.

Show me a ranking of the experts for each class, four years later. It should be good for a laugh.

Bottom line: The difference between the 30th and 109th class is purely subjective. If any given expert/network's rankings translated to a pattern of wins and losses, we'd be seeing it on their front page, and with every ad encouraging you to pay for their opinion.

Reaction Score
Being right less than half the time isn't exactly a positive trend. A coin toss would do better.

Yeah I was baffled that the evidence seemed to be, "Our system failed slightly more than the Associated Press."

Reaction Score
Quick read - not so much for the validity/accuracy of the sites but more so for a couple of points it raises (nothing really earthshattering).

http://news.ku.edu/2013/03/28/study-examines-football-coaches-use-recruiting-sites (still looking for full paper)
  • The top prospects are assigned a five-star rating. The majority of college talent lands in the two- and three-star range. The nation’s top programs routinely claim the five- and four-star recruits.
  • Two separate coaches related anecdotes of players they were recruiting whose ratings rose or dropped simply based on what schools were talking to them. One was rated a four star, then committed to Northern Iowa and dropped to a two star almost overnight. Another was rated a two star and committed to New Mexico for months, but Texas expressed an interest and suddenly the player was rated four stars.
  • “Overall, Rivals.com and Scout.com steer the agenda of recruiting in a multimillion dollar collegiate sport.”
These sites also rated Dwayne 3*, Trevardo 2*, BWW 2*, Sio 2*, and RG 2*

Inexact science @ best.

Reaction Score
There's 2 blog entries by Mathlete on MGoBlog (a Michigan site) that speaks to how accurate recruiting rankings are. The datasets are from the recruiting classes from 2002-2006 (Rivals data) and the NFL draft from 2005-2011.

http://mgoblog.com/diaries/5-stars-first-rounders-predictably-uncertain-path-recruit-pro
http://mgoblog.com/diaries/what’s-5-star-really-worth-predicting-future-team-success-recruiting-rankings

The highlights:
  • Recruiting services tend to be more accurate for defensive players than on offense
  • Probability of being drafted by star rating
    • 5* - 48%
    • 4* - 21%
    • 3* - 10*
  • Some conferences are more impacted by recruiting services than others due to the prevalent style of play in that conference.
    • The conferences least impacted by recruiting ratings:
      • Pac-12
      • Big East

Reaction Score
Already supplied,

http://m.si.com/1474685/analyzing-the-rankings/

No doubt there are anomalies, but as they say, the trend is your friend.

Link is relevant only for the top of the rankings, practically by their own admission. I'm not sure anyone debates that the teams that rack up 4 and 5 star recruits win more consistently. After that, it's a total crap shoot.

As for this year's class so far -- it isn't good. We were behind on commits last year at this time as well, but one just gets the feel that the combination of 2 straight losing seasons, the conference realignment debacle, and a coach who may not be able to connect with recruits is starting to become a drag on recruiting.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I just want to know when we get the crystal trophy for leading the recruiting rankings in early July.

Instead of the Sears Trophy, It's the TJ Maxx Bowl and is made from Pirex instead.

Reaction Score
Instead of the Sears Trophy, It's the TJ Maxx Bowl and is made from Pirex instead.

Bad news....the trophy will be late. the factory wasn't aware of the new logo. In the process of repainting the new logo, they ran out of lead paint. Backorders blow!

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Check my chart in the rain dance thread....the sites won't have the info till the prep school kids hit prep school or report it officially. My beef is our staff should have them report this info because its good exposure for uconn to have players listed on these sites. U all know the deal...

You know that is a violation of NCAA policy right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom