July, camps are over, 247 has Akron, UMass and Georgia State out-recruiting UConn | The Boneyard

July, camps are over, 247 has Akron, UMass and Georgia State out-recruiting UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Currently, UConn ranked 109 in 247's composite rankings.

The last camp ended last Thursday.

Recruiting coordinator gone.

Year 3 of a head coach has to see the head coach killing it, absolutely killing it, on the recruiting trail. That isn't happening.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see how things start to get figured out once pre-season camp starts in 4 weeks... Seems like the time kids make the ol' switcharoo from our program.. Once that depth chart starts falling into place we start losing a few guys...I can see it happening again in August... I'd be shocked if it doesn't happen.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Check my chart in the rain dance thread....the sites won't have the info till the prep school kids hit prep school or report it officially. My beef is our staff should have them report this info because its good exposure for uconn to have players listed on these sites. U all know the deal...

Reaction Score
Yeah thats what I figured. We are about 70% done with our recruiting for the year and July just began! But people are still b*tching because of what they see and read on recruiting sites and how we compare to other teams......I'd say unbelievable but I saw this coming......

Reaction Score
Fwiw we have a couple jems at dean college getting polished up right now in silva and Bryan that will count for this next year. Also Fuchs will count for next year after prep school as well as a db. So we are actually in very good shape for 2014 already

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I woke up this morning, took stock of my miserable lot in life, and thought who can I blame, what can I complain about ..... oh, I know, I'll go to the Boneyard and b*tch about something. Happy 4th.

You are slow to understand the true meaning of life. Welcome.

Reaction Score
You are slow to understand the true meaning of life. Welcome.

Understand completely. As we hit 2d half of the year, we need folks to tell the frigging whiners that took over this board to STFU. You don't like the President, the AD, the team, the coach, the recruits, the conference, etc. but you're still a fan - OK! Here's an idea, go cheer for someone else. Go pollute another board; just go away.

Reaction Score
You know what? You're absolutely right. Way too much negativity in my post. It's silly to worry that UConn is being out recruited by Akron, UMass, Texas San Antonio, Louisiana Lafayette AND Louisiana Monroe, Western Kentucky, Ohio, Toledo and that FBS powerhouse, Appalachian State, pretty much the remainder of the MAC, sunbelt, and whoever's left in america that play football.

After all, recruiting is sooo overrated in college football.

Understand completely. As we hit 2d half of the year, we need folks to tell the frigging whiners that took over this board to STFU. You don't like the President, the AD, the team, the coach, the recruits, the conference, etc. but you're still a fan - OK! Here's an idea, go cheer for someone else. Go pollute another board; just go away.

Reaction Score
You know what? You're absolutely right. Way too much negativity in my post. It's silly to worry that UConn is being out recruited by Akron, UMass, Texas San Antonio, Louisiana Lafayette AND Louisiana Monroe, Western Kentucky, Ohio, Toledo and that FBS powerhouse, Appalachian State, pretty much the remainder of the MAC, sunbelt, and whoever's left in america that play football.

Recruiting isn't overrated, star rating is. I could care less who outrecruits UCONN before any of those kids step foot on the field. I judge classes after they have, you know, actually played a few seasons?

Reaction Score
While PP may have down the fundamentals of what it takes to be an NFL player, the problem is recruits find him dull. Our offense speaks for itself, no?

Reaction Score
... And you know this for fact how Butch?
A friend of mine who is very, very well connected in CFB. Especially in Florida. He even writes for a mainstream publication there about CFB.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine who is very, very well connected in CFB. Especially in Florida. He even writes for a mainstream publication there about CFB.

Which publication?

Is this the same guy who you say says that kids in Florida "don't like PP and crew"?

The bigger problem is that recruits are more concerned about the AAC than PP doing the happy dance.

Reaction Score
Which publication?

Is this the same guy who you say says that kids in Florida "don't like PP and crew"?

The bigger problem is that recruits are more concerned about the AAC than PP doing the happy dance.
I won't say which publication. And yes, the same man.

I understand what you are saying about the AAC. The only way to correct that perception is winning.

Reaction Score

Dude, have you been living under a rock for the last month or two.......Who states that UCONN is being out-recruited by Akron Umass........and so on... Who? Rivals? Scout? 247?? Hah. You gotta know you're program better.

You realize these sites you're reading so much up on and taking stock in don't have 1/3 of the players on their lists that we actually have committed (or previously were and are expectant to again) for next year. And of the 3 guys that they have committed (Noye, Carrezola, Marchi) 2 of them aren't even rated yet on most sites. So honestly who cares where they rank us?

As well, Our overall intake is going to be small next year compared to all other schools.

This is a list along with the available spots that we are most likely trying to fill....Not many left to fill huh? If your going to create obnoxious redundant posts hating on the staff and its recruitment then at least do your HW......11 guys essentially committed, I'd say not so bad.

QB- Logan Marchi (St. Paul HS, CT). Temple*
OL- Chaz Wright (PREP) (). NCst*
OL- Rennick Bryan (Dean JuCo- MA(Hillhouse, CT)). Temple*
DL- Mike Boland (PREP).
DE/TE- Luke Carrezola (Neshaminy, PA). Temple*
LB- Jason Sylva (Dean JuCo- MA(Tabor, MA)) BC*
LB- Chris Britton (PREP). Pitt*
DB- Jalen Branford (FUMA-VA(Reading, PA))
DB- Jamar Summers (PREP)
WR-
TE- Jordan Fuchs (PREP-Milford Acd- NY(CTK, NYC)) Rutgers*, Ist*
RB-
RB/WR/ATH(WC)- Justin Noye. Rutgers*, Temple*
ATH/OL-
ATH/K/LB/P-

Reaction Score
No rock living for me. I understand the preps and jucos. But I think it's better to have a discussion without name calling. I understand the knee jerk reaction to constant negativity, but it's sophomoric to just say rah rah and bury one's head in the sand.

In any event,

247 is a composite ranking. So if they're unranked by one of the services when commited, a uconn verbal will get them two stars. Rightly or wrongly, that's the way the game is played.

But a big point: the rising senior 2014 class will see a minimum of 15 commits. Notwithstanding grayshirts or the juco guys that come. Just the rising senior commits. You can't run an fbs program on fewer than 15 rising senior recruits. In fact, you'll only find 3 or 4 bcs school's in the last five years having offered fewer than 15 rising senior recruits since. And they all have a story, eg, usc reggie bush scholly restrictions, clemson 2009 (dabo swinney's dandy dozen/bowden's october departure). That's a total of about five recruiting classes out of 350.

But still a bigger point: the services in the rankings don't include all greyshirts. For example, bradley bozeman a 4* ol for alabama will enroll in january 2014. He's not listed by rivals but is by scout. Every bcs school has greyshirts that don't show up in their expected class enrollment year. Notorious greyshirt programs like tennessee (see tino thomas) usually have the greyshirts show up in their original senior class.

So it is a canard to suggest since fuchs, summers, boland, britton are greyshirting UConn's class of 2014 is better than it appears as EACH school can make the same claim. Importantly, what happens to uconn's 2013 ranking by the services if you take out the greyshirts( which the services DO NOT)? UConn would probably lose 8-10 slots and slide to 70-75 or so under this hypothetical/not done scenario for the 2013 class.

Reaction Score
No rock living for me. I understand the preps and jucos. But I think it's better to have a discussion without name calling. I understand the knee jerk reaction to constant negativity, but it's sophomoric to just say rah rah and bury one's head in the sand.

In any event,

247 is a composite ranking. So if they're unranked by one of the services when commited, a uconn verbal will get them two stars. Rightly or wrongly, that's the way the game is played.

But a big point: the rising senior 2014 class will see a minimum of 15 commits. Notwithstanding grayshirts or the juco guys that come. Just the rising senior commits. You can't run an fbs program on fewer than 15 rising senior recruits. In fact, you'll only find 3 or 4 bcs school's in the last five years having offered fewer than 15 rising senior recruits since. And they all have a story, eg, usc reggie bush scholly restrictions, clemson 2009 (dabo swinney's dandy dozen/bowden's october departure). That's a total of about five recruiting classes out of 350.

But still a bigger point: the services in the rankings don't include all greyshirts. For example, bradley bozeman a 4* ol for alabama will enroll in january 2014. He's not listed by rivals but is by scout. Every bcs school has greyshirts that don't show up in their expected class enrollment year. Notorious greyshirt programs like tennessee (see tino thomas) usually have the greyshirts show up in their original senior class.

So it is a canard to suggest since fuchs, summers, boland, britton are greyshirting UConn's class of 2014 is better than it appears as EACH school can make the same claim. Importantly, what happens to uconn's 2013 ranking by the services if you take out the greyshirts( which the services DO NOT)? UConn would probably lose 8-10 slots and slide to 70-75 or so under this hypothetical/not done scenario for the 2013 class.

I don't mean to name call or get too personal. This time of year is a chance for every hardcore fan to be optimistic for the near future. We have many obstacles to overcome but I've seen 1 too many of these posts regarding how crappy our recruiting class appears to be. And in this case at least the perception and the truth are vastly different. Many people don't realize or factor in the surplus in kids we have wrapped on schollys, the kids we have greyshirted or harbored @ JC's, the fact that many of our 4th year Juniors are a big part of our team and most likely coming back for their 5th years.

Coach PP is what he is, I'm not trying to debate here about anything but his recruiting right now but with that said his recruiting is just fine. I would characterize it as great but its certainly not bad. Amidst a very trying time with CR we are getting quality guys for a program like us. Last years haul was one of the best we have ever had. I say all that knowing we won't be pull in 4 and 5 star fish until we rid ourselves of the AAC and start winning. To your point though, the answer is the 2013 class still looks darn good without the likes of the 5 guys who were greyshirted (Wright, Boland, Britton, Summers, and Fuchs)...

Another thing that isn't factored into you're argument there is that PP has done a very good job getting guys transferring from other big time programs (ie. Phillips, Whitmer, Mateas, Stewart, Donahue...(Knappe didn't transfer but I don't think he was part of the recruiting sites) These guys take up roster spots yet don't count toward our recruiting rankings. So our classes shrink by a little. Going forward there's no reason to not believe that PP can pick up some transfers and JC guys along the way for this small class when he has open spots available to do so.

And lets not go the root of comparing UCONN to Alabama. Or some other big time program that brings in 25 kids each year because they send 5-6 kids to the pro's early or doesn't re-up scholarships for some of the upperclassman who aren't making the 2 deep.

When it comes down to it there's no reason to be worrying in early July about recruiting rankings and where we compare to the likes of Akron or some other shlep team that may have lots of schollys to hand out and have gotten lucky early on in getting commitments from local guys. Coach PP has many other areas to be critiqued first but lets maintain positivity until the season starts at the very least. Please I beg you and all others. This class will be good not large but good in quality. Kids with experience coming from PREP and JUCO. And the class will fill all of our "needs" (i had "holes" first figured I should change it)....Instant impact guys are personally what I want anyways for a big promise 2014 year with experience all over the field.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Recruiting is not over rated, but the ranking of recruits by self proclaimed expert, IS.

Show me a ranking of the experts for each class, four years later. It should be good for a laugh.

Bottom line: The difference between the 30th and 109th class is purely subjective. If any given expert/network's rankings translated to a pattern of wins and losses, we'd be seeing it on their front page, and with every ad encouraging you to pay for their opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom