July 2021 Recruiting Thread | Page 20 | The Boneyard

July 2021 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can watch Madison Booker and Kiki Rice in separate games from Sunday here. Booker's game starts around 20:00 and she's #35 in blue. Rice's Fairfax game starts around 4:57:00 and Rice is #7 in maroon.

First time I've seen Rice in a full game. Smart, fast, and physical PG who sees the floor well and is a good passer. Didn't shoot a lot but looked to be about an average shooter. I think she's good enough to play at UConn but wonder if she'd be willing to wait a year or two to get more than light minutes. I could see her getting solid PT right off at either Duke or Arizona, two of her finalists.

Reaction Score
First time I've seen Rice in a full game. Smart, fast, and physical PG who sees the floor well and is a good passer. Didn't shoot a lot but looked to be about an average shooter. I think she's good enough to play at UConn but wonder if she'd be willing to wait a year or two to get more than light minutes. I could see her getting solid PT right off at either Duke or Arizona, two of her finalists.
My gut feeling is that we get Rice. I hope I’m right lol

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
This was an absolutely sick highlight package for Toomey and she picked a great time to do it in front of CD. It was all there: rebounding in traffic, finishing through contact at the basket, kick out from the double team, turn around fade from the baseline, catch and shoot deep ball, rhythm dribble to get separation at the top of the before splashing the deep ball.
I with you @Mdoggie UCONN should offer. I'm predicting Toomey makes a run at #1 overall in the class before it's all said and done.
I was thinking the same thing when I put her in my basket on the 22-23 POI and recruits thread, I continue to be impressed. The young lady seems to have caught fire while maturing at just the right time.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I like speed and defense. If I have to choose between the two for the next few years, I’d choose defense. We have enough players that can score, and more on the way. We need a “lock-down“ defender, a stopper that can make the top scorer on an opponent’s team disappear. That makes for a balanced team.

It would keep the “Chelsea Dungees“ of WCBB from beating us. Dungee scored 38 to help Arkansas beat us 90-87.

Dungee was averaging 22 ppg at the time. If UConn could have held her to her average, they would have won by 13. Unfortunately no one was able to put her in check, thus she scored at will.
I agree no one was able to guard her that day be it UCONN or another team. Some days it's just your day. She was riding a wave, her college career game, it came against us unfortunately, we have shown better defense at times, but the entire Ark team also seemed to be riding that wave. For Dungee while she had speed to burn that game it was more her throw anything in the air and it went in that was the difference in the game. As they said in the movie The Kingdom of Heaven "God Willed It."

Reaction Score
Thank you Milford. You understood the thought I was trying to make. How quickly some of these folks forget. Kiah Stokes was never an offensive threat, yet Geno played her regularly. Kiah was a force on defense, and did things no one else on the roster could do. She helped us win a lot of games. The team seldom suffered with her on the floor.

If some of our fellow yarders aren’t big on players being able to play defense, it‘s their prerogative. I was not talking about a Kiah Stokes type player, but a player that would and could play defense better than most, as well as be an offensive threat.

A Gabby Williams or a Kia Nurse for example. Both could keep their man in front of them. They would sometimes be assigned to guard the opponent’s leading scorer. They were also very potent on the other end of the court as well.

I’ll say it again….if I have a choice between 3 players, with equal offensive skills, I want the one that plays the best defense. If you want/expect to win games and go deep into the tournament, you’ve got to be able to make some stops along the way. Former Laker head coach and current Miami Heat general manager Pat Riley said on more than one occasion “no rebounds, no rings.”

I remember some of the negative comments posted here after the two losses. I don’t remember reading any that suggested “that’s the way it goes sometimes.“ There is not a lot of effective defense played in a game you give up 90 points, or a game you lose by double digits.

I’m like former NFL Chicago Bears linebacker and later head coach Mike Singletary who said “I want winners.” Winners play defense!! Not some of the time, or most of the time, but ALL THE TIME.
Stokes was one of the best natural shot blockers I've ever seen, that's male or female......

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I think having 5 scoring options keeps the defense honest and prevents double-teaming, but maybe the best lineup I've seen--as measured by many scoring runs--was Stef, Stewie, Kiah, Moriah, and Kaleena. We went on scoring runs because Kiah stopped inside scoring by blocking or altering shots and/or grabbing nearly every defensive rebound. Kiah was not much of a scoring threat, but she was great on the defensive end.

Ah, the sweet memories.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Morgan Valley now following 2024 Mackenly Randolph:

She makes it look easy. Can she do this at the “elite” college level? If she can, she’ll be an All-American her freshman year hitting midrange jumpers, layups and put-backs. If our players could do that, we’d be a real tough out. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sometimes the memories don't match reality. I rewatched the 2004 title game and was amazed at the defensive lapses and stagnant offense. Taurasi may be the goat but in that game she looked like a poor copy of Bueckers, and I'm comparing a senior Taurasi to a freshman Bueckers. Twice Taurasi drove blindly into the lane only to have the ball stripped trying to take it to the hoop instead of pulling up for a nice mid-range shot. On the plus side Barbara Turner was a monster under the glass.
Not trying to rewrite history but those great teams of the past had flaws and they played sloppy at times. Just like today.

Reaction Score
I agree no one was able to guard her that day be it UCONN or another team. Some days it's just your day. She was riding a wave, her college career game, it came against us unfortunately, we have shown better defense at times, but the entire Ark team also seemed to be riding that wave. For Dungee while she had speed to burn that game it was more her throw anything in the air and it went in that was the difference in the game. As they said in the movie The Kingdom of Heaven "God Willed It."
Carnac phrased it well when referring to the "Dungees," plural. While UConn had a tenacious, high energy team last year that played the lanes well, we had difficulty in several games keeping up with Dungee and others with super quick offensive skills. Would be great to have Huskies with the defensive skills to slow down these types of guards.

Reaction Score
Sometimes the memories don't match reality. I rewatched the 2004 title game and was amazed at the defensive lapses and stagnant offense. Taurasi may be the goat but in that game she looked like a poor copy of Bueckers, and I'm comparing a senior Taurasi to a freshman Bueckers. Twice Taurasi drove blindly into the lane only to have the ball stripped trying to take it to the hoop instead of pulling up for a nice mid-range shot. On the plus side Barbara Turner was a monster under the glass.
Not trying to rewrite history but those great teams of the past had flaws and they played sloppy at times. Just like today.

I tend to think that is definitely true about memories - but it's also in the opposite way as well. I think there is at times a loss of perspective / reality that the other teams are tough too. For their 11 titles it was rarely easy. So I think there's more complaining now.

As far as 2003-2004 and 2004-2005 teams i think we'd see more standing around because they didn't want to run much. As a result, if you want to play at a slower pace because you don't have that much scoring capabilities - then you aren't going to jump into your offensive sets as fast with the intent to get a quick shot.

And as far as Turner - the beauty of her was that she was capable of playing great - but she also was capable of some duds. For example- the game prior vs Minnesota, she scored 7 points and got 4 rebounds. And she had 2 assists but had 5 turnovers. More than 2.5 more than anyone else.

And DT actually had a strong game in terms of efficiency in the finals while leading her team in scoring. She was 3-4 from 2 (Efficiency FG% of 75%) and 3-7 from 3 (Efficiency FG% of 64.29%). Total EFG% of 68.18 (Her True Shooting % was 66.67%). Pretty good considering UCONN is allowing the defenses to get set and key in on her. And these %'s are similar to a very dominant low post player.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Ciera Toomey has always been impressed with Geno Auriemma’s University of Connecticut teams.

Now, the feeling is obviously mutual.

Auriemma offered Toomey a full basketball scholarship to join the most successful program in women’s college basketball during a FaceTime call Tuesday.

“My Mom (Carrie) has always put basketball on TV for us,” Ciera said. “As my sister (Victoria) and I got older and were watching, I realized the team that was always winning was UConn.”

“I kind of grew up just watching their style of basketball and the great players that came through their program,” Toomey said.

Her initial reaction Tuesday was that the Storrs, Conn. campus will be added to the places she will need to get a look at as the next steps in the recruiting process unfold.

“I definitely think I’ll try to make a visit up there to see the facilities and see the school,” she said.

Reaction Score
And as far as Turner - the beauty of her was that she was capable of playing great - but she also was capable of some duds. For example- the game prior vs Minnesota, she scored 7 points and got 4 rebounds. And she had 2 assists but had 5 turnovers. More than 2.5 more than anyone else.
I always pictured Turner using strength to rebound and she was strong but her rebounding was because she was quick to the ball. Looked like Gabby just beating everyone to the ball. Griffin and McClean have that same talent. And also can run hot and cold.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

As someone who plays 150 rounds of golf a year, it pleases me that she is a good golfer. Not like Paige, she finished fourth in the state tourney. I don’t know what position she plays if she chooses UCon but it doesn’t matter, she is really good.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
For Victor and other avid golfers:

Go to the thread that has the title [Paige a 2 sport star].
Go to page 2 of that thread and there is a lengthy video of Ciera's golf skills...with her Dad [her high school golf coach]
discussing her love of golf.

Pretty late in the video there is a tape of her full golf swing..looking at her from the side.
Athletic? Just a bit...to understate just a tad.

150 rounds a year, Victor? Impressive...especially living in Ohio. Ever play at Clearview Golf Course near Canton?
An historically significant tract...built and owned by Bill Powell...I think the first African American to do that.
Daughter Renee is pro at the course...still family owned...I think...and she is an important minority figure in the growth of the game.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

Go to page 2 of that thread and there is a lengthy video of Ciera's golf skills...with her Dad [her high school golf coach]

Pretty late in the video there is a tape of her full golf swing..looking at her from the side.

150 rounds a year, Victor? Impressive...especially living in Ohio. Ever play at Clearview Golf Course near Canton?
An historically significant tract...built and owned by Bill Powell...I think the first African American to do that.
Daughter Renee is pro at the course...still family owned...I think...and she is an important minority figure in the growth of the game.
I have not but I am familiar with the story. The run an ad on the LPGA events about the Powells. Really impressive. Thanks for heads up on the link. I missed it.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

Just watched the video. If she spent more time on it, she could be a good college player. On a side note, the greens looked ok but the rest of course had goat ranch tendencies.:)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New video report on Cierra Toomey:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads