JUDGE DID IT! (Merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

JUDGE DID IT! (Merged thread)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Film myself cutting it up into tiny tiny little pieces and then burn it. Then post the video online. I do hate the Yankees. :D

No, really I'd just give it back. No sentimental value to me.
I was gonna say the same thing sans the cutting up part.

But I’m with others. I’m not far from retirement, so a little insurance against inflation would work for me. As with striking the lottery, if it went to auction, I’d set something up to legally share it with my siblings.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Aaron Judge gives 61st home run ball to his mother.

Aaron was abandoned after he was born, and the "parents" in his mouth are actually his adoptive parents. When Aaron was 10 years old, he asked "parents" why he didn't look like them before he knew his real life experience.

Normally I “tip my turban” in certain cases or instances. In this case, I’m taking my turban off and giving a huge nod to his parents. Taking in and raising an adopted child is not easy.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was gonna say the same thing sans the cutting up part.

But I’m with others. I’m not far from retirement, so a little insurance against inflation would work for me. As with striking the lottery, if it went to auction, I’d set something up to legally share it with my siblings.
I would definitely change some lives. I’d share it with my family. Why not? You can’t take it with you. :)

Reaction Score
The kid that caught the ball is going to sell it. Boston News reported this morning that he was offered $2 million by one of the auction houses. He works in finance. His wife, a former reality TV actor (Notice I didn't call her a "star.") has been tweeting about the ball.

Sure the right think is to give it to Judge, but that much money easily changes minds.

I also think that Judge's 61 ball is worth way more than Bond's 74 ball

Reaction Score
I'm originally from Boston, But I have been an Aaron Judge admirer from his beginnings. I can't think of another player who has had a better season prior to becoming a free agent.

His is going to sign a multi-year contract north of $30 million. His annual salary is going to be more than any 20 Yankees CAREER EARNINGS (not adjusted for inflation) you want to pick from, that played prior to 1970. Adjusting for inflation will probably bring it to the top 7 or 8, but it is still staggering to think about.

Ruth career earnings: 900,000
Mantle 1.2 million
Joe D 800,00
Gehrig 400,00

Carnac

Reaction Score

The kid that caught the ball is going to sell it. Boston News reported this morning that he was offered $2 million by one of the auction houses. He works in finance. His wife, a former reality TV actor (Notice I didn't call her a "star.") has been tweeting about the ball.

Sure the right think is to give it to Judge, but that much money easily changes minds.

I also think that Judge's 61 ball is worth way more than Bond's 74 ball
I was taught: when fate smiles at you, smile back. :D Unfortunately, my current rate of cash flow does not permit me the luxury of simply turning my back on the 2 million dollars already offered. I'm taking the 2 million dollars. :cool:

sun

Reaction Score
The case that led to allowing baseball fans to keep balls hit into the stands.

Even in the case of Barry Bonds record breaking HR ball, the 2 fans were awarded joint ownership rights to the proceeds after the fan who actually caught the ball was attacked by a mob.

Reaction Score
The case that led to allowing baseball fans to keep balls hit into the stands.

Even in the case of Barry Bonds record breaking HR ball, the 2 fans were awarded joint ownership rights to the proceeds after the fan who actually caught the ball was attacked by a mob.

The foul ball story is a great story. Times have changed significantly in 100 years. The Judge's quote: “Such an act on the part of a boy is merely proof that he is following his most natural impulses.” And he added, “it is a thing I would do myself.” I think most older Americans (BY'ers) would think that way. Unfortunately, modern day greed has muddied the waters.

As far as the Barry Bonds story, I didn't read it. I call BS on everything Bobby Bonds

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As a Yankee fan I would love to hand the ball to Judge for a picture with him. But the owner of Memory Lane Inc., a sports memorabilia company in CA had previously made a public offer of $2 million prior to HR #62, and he reaffirmed that offer today.

I am reminded of the story of Sal Durante, a young NYC truck driver who caught Roger Maris’s 61st HR. After the game Durante met Maris and attempted to give him the baseball. Maris told him to keep it and sell it because Durante might be able to make some money off it. Durante got married, sold the ball for $5,000, used the money for a down payment on a house and raised a family. His kids are diehard Yankee fans who’ve been at a number of recent games, probably hoping that lightning would strike twice.

Carnac

Reaction Score
In terms of having the most value to his team, a certain Angel's player might have an argument.
No argument there. EVERY TEAM has a MVP. Any other year Shohei Ohtani would win the MVP award hands down. There are some fans and MLB writers that will agree with you. We saw two "anomaly" type performances from these two players that were unbelievable, and probably won't every be duplicated again. If I had a vote, I voting for Aaron Judge.

He did something that has NEVER EVER been done in the "American League." HE set a new record that will no doubt be broken, but not anytime soon. He broke a homerun record that lasted 61 years. I doubt it will be broken in his lifetime. There are several MLB records in the Hallowed Hall of "Records that will NEVER be broken." IMO, this is not one of them. We'll see. It was fun to watch. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No argument there. EVERY TEAM has a MVP. Any other year Shohei Ohtani would win the MVP award hands down. There are some fans and MLB writers that will agree with you. We saw two "anomaly" type performances from these two players that were unbelievable, and probably won't every be duplicated again. If I had a vote, I voting for Aaron Judge.

He did something that has NEVER EVER been done in the "American League." HE set a new record that will no doubt be broken, but not anytime soon. He broke a homerun record that lasted 61 years. I doubt it will be broken in his lifetime. There are several MLB records in the Hallowed Hall of "Records that will NEVER be broken." IMO, this is not one of them. We'll see. It was fun to watch. :)
People should really take a moment and look at Ohtani's numbers this year. I was not remotely aware of what he accomplished. He ranked in the top ten in most of the hitting and pitching stats. Consider the 6 game streak in June,July where he went 6-0, gave up a total of 2 earned runs in those games, struck out 58, and , and, hit 8 home runs! He threw the most 100+ fastballs among MLB starters, and was also the fastest runner home to first , on average, in MLB. He won't be the MVP, but he is the best baseball player on the planet.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
People should really take a moment and look at Ohtani's numbers this year. I was not remotely aware of what he accomplished. He ranked in the top ten in most of the hitting and pitching stats. Consider the 6 game streak in June,July where he went 6-0, gave up a total of 2 earned runs in those games, struck out 58, and , and, hit 8 home runs! He threw the most 100+ fastballs among MLB starters, and was also the fastest runner home to first , on average, in MLB. He won't be the MVP, but he is the best baseball player on the planet.
Agree with your take on Ohtani, and as I said in an earlier post, if Ohtani wins the MVP over Judge, after one of the greatest years ever by a position player, MLB has a Shohei Ohtani problem. They might as well just hand him the MVP every season for the next 10-15 years.

sun

Reaction Score
Agree with your take on Ohtani, and as I said in an earlier post, if Ohtani wins the MVP over Judge, after one of the greatest years ever by a position player, MLB has a Shohei Ohtani problem. They might as well just hand him the MVP every season for the next 10-15 years.
In 1979, the National League had its first & ever Co-MVP award winners.
It shows that no one needs to win over anyone else since two players can win it at the same time.
Of course the votes need to end up being a tie.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ohtani problem? Wow!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ohtani problem? Wow!
Here’s what I mean. Throughout baseball’s history, the MVP award has been given to great position players or great pitchers. A few years back there was some question in the AL about whether a DH could win the MVP, as they didn’t play defense. Ultimately, neither Edgar Martinez nor David Ortiz, two great DH’s , did not win
MVP’s.

Along comes Ohtani, a great player and a true unicorn. He is a DH who pitches every 5-6 days, and he’s really, really good at both. As I pointed out previously, when he won the MVP award last season, Ohtani was not the best position player in the AL (Vlad Guerrero Jr) nor the best pitcher (Robby Ray). He’s had a better year this season. But he’s still not the best position player (Judge) or the best pitcher (Verlander).

Baseball’s “Ohtani problem” is simply how do you evaluate a really good player that is the only player in the game that does what he does vs every other player in MLB? There are gold glove awards for defense, silver slugger awards for hitting, Cy Young award for pitchers, etc. There is no award for pitchers who hit really well or hitters who pitch really well. So that leaves the MVP award.

Ohtani is the only player in the history of baseball who won an MVP for both hitting and pitching. Ruth’s one MVP was in 1928, years after he stopped pitching. Ohtani is 28. If he stays healthy he could win another 5-10 MVP awards.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In 1930, Yankees executives gave Ruth a raise to $80,000 per year. That gave him a higher annual pay than President Hoover. When told this, Ruth said, “I know, but I had a better year than Hoover.” :D

Reaction Score
I'm originally from Boston, But I have been an Aaron Judge admirer from his beginnings. I can't think of another player who has had a better season prior to becoming a free agent.

His is going to sign a multi-year contract north of $30 million. His annual salary is going to be more than any 20 Yankees CAREER EARNINGS (not adjusted for inflation) you want to pick from, that played prior to 1970. Adjusting for inflation will probably bring it to the top 7 or 8, but it is still staggering to think about.

Ruth career earnings: 900,000
Mantle 1.2 million
Joe D 800,00
Gehrig 400,00

I remember when Mantle became the first 100K/year MLB player. Everyone said it was way too much for a player to earn. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Here’s what I mean. Throughout baseball’s history, the MVP award has been given to great position players or great pitchers. A few years back there was some question in the AL about whether a DH could win the MVP, as they didn’t play defense. Ultimately, neither Edgar Martinez nor David Ortiz, two great DH’s , did not win
MVP’s.

Along comes Ohtani, a great player and a true unicorn. He is a DH who pitches every 5-6 days, and he’s really, really good at both. As I pointed out previously, when he won the MVP award last season, Ohtani was not the best position player in the AL (Vlad Guerrero Jr) nor the best pitcher (Robby Ray). He’s had a better year this season. But he’s still not the best position player (Judge) or the best pitcher (Verlander).

Baseball’s “Ohtani problem” is simply how do you evaluate a really good player that is the only player in the game that does what he does vs every other player in MLB? There are gold glove awards for defense, silver slugger awards for hitting, Cy Young award for pitchers, etc. There is no award for pitchers who hit really well or hitters who pitch really well. So that leaves the MVP award.

Ohtani is the only player in the history of baseball who won an MVP for both hitting and pitching. Ruth’s one MVP was in 1928, years after he stopped pitching. Ohtani is 28. If he stays healthy he could win another 5-10 MVP awards.
5-10 MVP awards seems a bit much given his age. Pitchers peak at age 29 and hitters by 31. He won't be the pitcher he is today in just a couple of years, and won't be the same hitter in 4-5 years.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
5-10 MVP awards seems a bit much given his age. Pitchers peak at age 29 and hitters by 31. He won't be the pitcher he is today in just a couple of years, and won't be the same hitter in 4-5 years.
If you discount Bonds who won an MVP at age 40 and Clemons who won a Cy Young at 42, both of whom were on steroids, Willie Stargell won an MVP at 39 and Gaylord Perry won a Cy Young at 40. Justin Verlander is also poised to win a Cy Young this year at age 39. So long as Ohtani stays healthy, 5-10 MVP’s is realistic imo.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m just one person. I’ve always believed that Bonds, McGuire and Sosa juiced, therefore I’ve NEVER recognized their home run records. In my mind, the home run records belong to Henry Aaron and Aaron Judge. I’m not a big MLB fan anymore, so who is recognized as the true home run leader does not keep me up at night. My interest now is in WCBB, the WNBA, the NFL and college football.

Living on the west coast, I was never a Yankee fan or an American League fan, but I was rooting for and pulling for Judge as much as anyone. I was also pulling for Albert Pujols to break the 700 career home run threshold.

I was very happy to see both players have a happy story book ending their their respective seasons. I was part of the ”Judge watch“ the last two weeks of the season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you discount Bonds who won an MVP at age 40 and Clemons who won a Cy Young at 42, both of whom were on steroids, Willie Stargell won an MVP at 39 and Gaylord Perry won a Cy Young at 40. Justin Verlander is also poised to win a Cy Young this year at age 39. So long as Ohtani stays healthy, 5-10 MVP’s is realistic imo.
Bonds won seven MVP awards in two batches: three of them from ages 25-28, and then four more from ages 36-39 likely helped by PEDs. After Bonds, there are ten players who won thee MVP awards: Berra, DiMaggio, Mantle, Foxx, Campanella, Musial, Pujols, A-Rod, Schmidt, and Trout. I think Ohtani getting even five will be very difficult. Ohtani's pitching is what puts him over the top now, but when that starts to decline in 2-3 years (assuming they continue to let him pitch), he'll be more or less on a level playing field competing with the handful of top hitters in the game (some who are on teams that go to the playoffs) until those skills begin to decline 4-5 years from now. Source: MLB Most Valuable Player MVP Award Winners | Baseball-Reference.com

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bonds won seven MVP awards in two batches: three of them from ages 25-28, and then four more from ages 36-39 likely helped by PEDs. After Bonds, there are ten players who won thee MVP awards: Berra, DiMaggio, Mantle, Foxx, Campanella, Musial, Pujols, A-Rod, Schmidt, and Trout. I think Ohtani getting even five will be very difficult. Ohtani's pitching is what puts him over the top now, but when that starts to decline in 2-3 years (assuming they continue to let him pitch), he'll be more or less on a level playing field competing with the handful of top hitters in the game (some who are on teams that go to the playoffs) until those skills begin to decline 4-5 years from now. Source: MLB Most Valuable Player MVP Award Winners | Baseball-Reference.com
Not sure why you would think Ohtani’s pitching would start to decline in 2-3 years, at age 30-31. Verlander, Scherzer and a whole lot of Big League pitchers are still going strong well into their mid to late 30’s.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Not sure why you would think Ohtani’s pitching would start to decline in 2-3 years, at age 30-31. Verlander, Scherzer and a whole lot of Big League pitchers are still going strong well into their mid to late 30’s.
One of my all-time favorites, the express - Nolan Ryan was still throwing smoke at batters well into his 40’s. He had the respect of every batter he faced. Similar to the Dodgers Sandy Koufax and the Cardinals Bob Gibson.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom