JUCO Emmanuel Ugboh | Page 3 | The Boneyard

JUCO Emmanuel Ugboh

Status
Not open for further replies.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Based on the twitter /recruitment reposts in this thread, this guy is somewhere between 6'10" 240 and 7'0" 260, which means he is actually like 6'9" 235. Let's keep this scholarship open for someone else.

Reaction Score
It is great knowing we have a JUCO coach here that can evaluate talent on the level you can. 11 of the top 50 on this list have committed to high majors. 13 have committed to good schools for a JUCO. Maybe you can tell us about the obvious omissions to the Top 100 list that next year at this time we all will be shaking our heads going "oh my they really missed that one!!"? You know give us that diamond in the rough JUCO player this list missed. If this list is SO bad we all can learn from you. Hope I can!

I mean hopefully Nate Oats knows what he is doing when recruiting JUCO kids to Buffalo since he only landed the #8/#27 prospects for 2019 on this horrible list. Maybe Oats doesn't considering this years team is only ranked #24 in KenPom with McRae #58 (jucorecruiting.com), Harris #2 (jucorecruiting.com), and Caruthers if he didn't sit out his Soph year @ Indian Hills would have been ranked Top 50.

This is what makes the BY so great. Another opportunity to learn from the best. A coach from a Top 25 JUCO team. Thanks in advance Burns. Please don't be a stranger. Your expertise makes it worth checking in more often. Thank you Sir Burnsbro. ;)

Buffalo does a great job with Juco. They were all over our kid Alondes Williams who signed with Oklahoma.

Simple example we played highland Friday which features two top 60 kids. Deang Deang and Luka Barisic both good players. But Vonnie Patterson of John a Logan is better then both and not on the list. Vonnie may have just got a West Virginia offer. I believe Sean Miller Moore of Moberly committed to Buffalo then backed off. He’s 90 something on the list. Significantly better then many in front of him. Bunch of examples like that. And that’s just using Midwest Juco. I dont Really see the Florida schools or Texas schools.

Reaction Score
Yeah I’d much rather wait for the transfer game to get going. Big fan of Hurley and co. On the recruiting trail, but this seems panicky to me.

Hopefully it was a contingent offer, like hey we are offering you but you can't accept it yet till we get a better idea of numbers.

Reaction Score
Doesn't look all the athletic, in some game footage he seems to get his points against significantly smaller defenders who just can't match up size wise. He also looks more suited for a zone defense, not Hurley's hard nose man to man, where he just doesn't seem quick or coordinated enough to switch on defenders. He seems like a plan C to me. More importantly he would likely block a 2020 Center from coming here.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Doesn't look all the athletic, in some game footage he seems to get his points against significantly smaller defenders who just can't match up size wise. He also looks more suited for a zone defense, not Hurley's hard nose man to man, where he just doesn't seem quick or coordinated enough to switch on defenders. He seems like a plan C to me. More importantly he would likely block a 2020 Center from coming here.

That isn't how recruiting works. If you suck for a good coach you will get recruited over.

Reaction Score
That isn't how recruiting works. If you suck for a good coach you will get recruited over.
Well yeah but we don't have an infinite # of scholarships, a 3rd string center would be dead weight

pj

Reaction Score
Well yeah but we don't have an infinite # of scholarships, a 3rd string center would be dead weight

The classic 13- man roster is 5 guards, 5 forwards, and 3 centers. Basketball has shifted toward smaller perimeter-based lineups, but given the slow pace of big man development, it's not unreasonable to have 3 centers in order to play 2, with one developing for the future and getting spot minutes in cases of foul trouble.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not really a rebuild type piece imo. I get were short at center but I’d rather snag a guy who will be a big time contributor 3 years down the road when we’re hopefully getting deep in the tourney. I don’t know who that is it would’ve been Qudus or Kofi, but I’d much rather Tre Mitchell than this guy because of the long term impact.

Reaction Score
The classic 13- man roster is 5 guards, 5 forwards, and 3 centers. Basketball has shifted toward smaller perimeter-based lineups, but given the slow pace of big man development, it's not unreasonably to have 3 centers in order to play 2, with one developing for the future and getting spot minutes in cases of foul trouble.

Right, unless you’re Georgetown and you have 5 centers, 5 forwards and 3 guards. I agree being 3 deep at center (1 starter with 1 backup and another one developing) makes sense. Some of these Big East programs have gotten greedy and taken all the centers available. Why can’t we have nice things too?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Right, unless you’re Georgetown and you have 5 centers, 5 forwards and 3 guards. I agree being 3 deep at center (1 starter with 1 backup and another one developing) makes sense. Some of these Big East programs have gotten greedy and taken all the centers available. Why can’t we have nice things too?
We do. They play guard.

Reaction Score
He needs to learn NOT to put the ball om the floor. He could learn from Carlton. But lefties have an advantage because defenders face fewer of them.

He moves well. Not much polish. Can' teach size. We need 6-11 very badly.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
View attachment 39849 some stiff competition.

List is old and he has offers from Rutgers, and Ole Miss as well. Ole Miss is 18-8 something we wish UConn was at the very least.
UConn could use a big body and he has some talent

Emmanuel Ugboh (Elite Prep, 6’10″, C) – Was one of the top players overall in attendance today and top big in my opinion. Solid big man who takes up space inside. Solid athlete who had numerous 2 hand rim-rattling finishes on the day. Can score with his back to the basket but needs to continue to improve in this area. Footwork is a little raw but he does a good job of keeping the ball high. Strong and solid build. Good rebounder on both ends. Influences shots on defense. Does a lot with 2 hands- finishes and rebounds w/ 2 hands. HM prospect who will only continue to improve. from basketball elite

Reaction Score
The classic 13- man roster is 5 guards, 5 forwards, and 3 centers. Basketball has shifted toward smaller perimeter-based lineups, but given the slow pace of big man development, it's not unreasonable to have 3 centers in order to play 2, with one developing for the future and getting spot minutes in cases of foul trouble.
I'd rather have a 6th guard than a 3rd center. Hurley loves to run 3 guard lineups and the past few years we have not been able to escape our ball handlers getting injured

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
I am more interested in is blocking abilities. Need a big guy who can alter opponent's shots

Reaction Score
Oklahoma St and St. Louis too.

The Ole Miss offer is encouraging. Kermit Davis is a JUCO wizard and a good coach whom has always done more with less. He's got a good eye for these guys.
I can vouch for this, Sy has an unreal teammate that is a multi level scorer and elevates like Ben Gordon on his J. Going to do big things next year at ole miss.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I am more interested in is blocking abilities. Need a big guy who can alter opponent's shots
Akok, Sid and Josh could be good shot blockers come next season.
But I agree we need a defensive minded center who can rebound and block shots.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
But I agree we need a defensive minded center who can rebound and block shots.
These aren't necessarily compatible skill sets. Shot blockers aren't looking to box rebound as much as block and alter shots. I'd love a kid who is dedicated to boxing and getting rebounds as we we are going to built for transition scoring than half court sets.

pj

Reaction Score
Big guy who rebounds would fill a major hole on the team. At a minimum, he'd be valuable depth and a complement to our other bigs who, depending on matchup, could play major minutes. If he develops then could be more. I like the offer.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Sy or Ugboh I would take in a heartbeat. How many times have we gotten a really good grad transfer who came in and gave big time minutes outside of Shonn Miller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom