Jr College, Transfer, v 2nd Frosh QB | The Boneyard

Jr College, Transfer, v 2nd Frosh QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can't go with only 2 scholarship QBs, so have at it
I mean for next year.

Reaction Score
JUCO to battle it out with Boyle. We need someone as close to ready as possible. Sigh!

Reaction Score
I'd go JUCO, but remember we have 3 already for next year, including Davis

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
HAVE to play Boyle this season now. We are no better than a 1-2 win team in 2014 with Whitmer anyway. Need a full evaluation of Boyle before we can evaluate Shireffs and Davis next year.

Will also need to recruit another QB in the 2015 class.

Reaction Score
gioff23 said:
I'd go JUCO, but remember we have 3 already for next year, including Davis

We are in deep trouble if we start a true frosh at qb next year.

In addition to jucos, we could also look at players that graduated and have eligibility like bc did with Tyler Murphy.

Also should be a lesson to qbs who transferred (taylor, lagow). Things can change in an instant

Reaction Score
Best case, Boyle can play well for us, we get one of those graduate senior transfers AND a JUCO type to give us a solid three deep.

Reaction Score
You do what you can. If Boyle is competent this year, with Sherrill becoming eligible as well you won't get a top JUCO here, because they want to go somewhere with a depth chart opening. But if you can get a competent #3, fine.

Otherwise, you take another frosh. Frankly, you may do that anyway in case something else happens to our depth here. (And why wouldn't it)

Reaction Score
ZooCougar said:
Best case, Boyle can play well for us, we get one of those graduate senior transfers AND a JUCO type to give us a solid three deep.

We have the nc state transfer, right? Or is he switching positions?

Reaction Score
And... this instantly became the biggest recruiting priority. Diaco can't afford to spend his first three seasons fiddling around with the QB position.

Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
You do what you can. If Boyle is competent this year, with Sherrill becoming eligible as well you won't get a top JUCO here, because they want to go somewhere with a depth chart opening. But if you can get a competent #3, fine.

Otherwise, you take another frosh. Frankly, you may do that anyway in case something else happens to our depth here. (And why wouldn't it)

Obviously the huge concern is if Boyle is ready. He has a cannon of an arm but he was having trouble with accuracy and reading coverages.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
We try to find a post grad even if it is only for depth. We also try to land a juco for depth. If we can also land another incoming freshman, we do that as well. Even if Boyle and Sherrill each turn out better than expected we need bodies at that position just in case.

Reaction Score
More importantly than "next year," you have to decide if your walk on is your #3 QB, or if Kamal Abrams needs to be moved from WR to QB.

Reaction Score
More importantly than "next year," you have to decide if your walk on is your #3 QB, or if Kamal Abrams needs to be moved from WR to QB.
Wow, you read my mind on this one. He Abrams was a decent dual threat QB in HS. They should give this some serious thought.

Reaction Score

Correct. I'm really tired of this QB discussion. I know I've been snarky a lot, but Whitmer is #1, Boyle is #2. That's that, and I hope that Whitmer is being prepped and practice like he's getting all the game snaps again, and that Boyle has progressed from being a true frosh, to a true soph. I'm 100% behind Whitmer as our starter, and Boyle as his backup, and preparing that way. I hope we do in reality. We've got the NC State transfer that's not eligible this year, so he's running the scout team, and hopefully doing a fantastic job.

The question is who the #3 is going be - without a doubt. At this point in the season, given the way things have gone, the decision to me, comes down to what kind of offensive package we want to have if we get that down far the depth chart. It may be worth it, to go with Abrams, or any other player qualified, that can run an Army style option offense, and keep that worked up and at a state of readiness in a glass case marked "break in case of emergency".

Reaction Score
I think we need to get Boyle some snaps in case CW has an issue. Bye bye RS put him in the shotgun and let's have at it boys. Line better get their sheet together right now.

Reaction Score
I think we need to get Boyle some snaps in case CW has an issue. Bye bye RS put him in the shotgun and let's have at it boys. Line better get their sheet together right now.

I'm done with the 2 QB systems. D-U-N done. I might poke my eye out if I see QB's getting shuttled in and out again. Boyle as a true #2, will get enough reps in a practice, and prep time with game plans, to be ready to play. That's the god damn job of a #2 QB. To make use of practice reps, and prep time, to be ready, because you're always one snap away. This concept that a QB needs game time reps to be ready to play? that. I'm tired of it. Maybe I'm old school, and I don't get it, but you pick your starters and you go, and given things otherwise equal talent and skill ,etc wise - which they are, experience, and seniority wins out. You jack around too long with players and systems, and the football Gods pick your starters for you.

The gods have spoken, and Whitmer is our starter - better get in line and start playing.

Reaction Score
I'm done with the 2 QB systems. D-U-N done. I might poke my eye out if I see QB's getting shuttled in and out again. Boyle as a true #2, will get enough reps in a practice, and prep time with game plans, to be ready to play. That's the god damn job of a #2 QB. To make use of practice reps, and prep time, to be ready, because you're always one snap away. This concept that a QB needs game time reps to be ready to play? that. I'm tired of it. Maybe I'm old school, and I don't get it, but you pick your starters and you go, and given things otherwise equal talent and skill ,etc wise - which they are, experience, and seniority wins out. You jack around too long with players and systems, and the football Gods pick your starters for you.

The gods have spoken, and Whitmer is our starter - better get in line and start playing.

OK fine I've seen enough of Chandler as the starter. Let him win or lose the job this week if Coach D doesn't get it yet. Tired of seeing the most talented QB on the team standing around with a clipboard.

Reaction Score
In January 2014, our QB depth for this year was: Cochran, Whitmer, Boyle, Kivon Taylor, Scott McCummings (or a TE) with Logan Marchi committed. Today, it is Whitmer and Boyle. We need to develop another QB that is currently on the roster in case of emergency.

As of now, we would only have 3 scholarship QBs on the roster. Clearly, we need to bring in another freshmen QB and either a Grad student or JC QB.

With Cochran out, we have to resign ourselves to this being a rebuilding year and maybe next year as well.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
From the official roster...

14Tim Boyle6-3/216QuarterbackSOMiddlefield, Conn. (Xavier)
12Casey Cochran6-1/224QuarterbackRS SOMonroe, Conn. (Masuk)
16Will Rishell5-10/185QuarterbackRS FRHebron, Conn. (RHAM)
4Bryant Shirreffs6-3/233QuarterbackRS FRJefferson, Ga. (North Carolina State)
10Chandler Whitmer6-0/192QuarterbackRS SRNewnan, Ga. (Butler CC)

Anyone have thought on Will Rishell? He's the 3rd string now... I believe a walk on, would they consider him in case of emergency? Build him a small package of plays and get him a few snaps?

Reaction Score
CW probably improves more than enough if we can establish a decent running attack vs Boise this week. Of course it appears that Boise has a stout run defense so....:rolleyes:

I say we scrap the I formation crap and run the shot gun the entire game.

Reaction Score
Bobby Puyol played QB in high school too....not a bad option for a #3 or 4 guy.

Reaction Score
From the official roster...

14Tim Boyle6-3/216QuarterbackSOMiddlefield, Conn. (Xavier)
12Casey Cochran6-1/224QuarterbackRS SOMonroe, Conn. (Masuk)
16Will Rishell5-10/185QuarterbackRS FRHebron, Conn. (RHAM)
4Bryant Shirreffs6-3/233QuarterbackRS FRJefferson, Ga. (North Carolina State)
10Chandler Whitmer6-0/192QuarterbackRS SRNewnan, Ga. (Butler CC)

Anyone have thought on Will Rishell? He's the 3rd string now... I believe a walk on, would they consider him in case of emergency? Build him a small package of plays and get him a few snaps?
Will Rishell was not a great quarterback at RHAM, the high school that has had all of one winning seasons, much less at UConn. Sorry, but it is the truth. He is a good kicker though

Reaction Score
Obviously the huge concern is if Boyle is ready. He has a cannon of an arm but he was having trouble with accuracy and reading coverages.

This is why I think Whitmer is ahead of Boyle. Whitmer has a problem with accuracy, but he's doing a decent job of reading coverages. He's throwing to (okay, near) open guys, and he hasn't thrown any interceptions. Boyle threw 1 interception every 16 pass attempts last year, and generally looked lost.

At this point, Boyle has to take some snaps but I don't understand the argument to start him and bench Whitmer. The argument is let's play the guy who sucked more last year because he might suck less next year.

But with Cochran out, he has to take some snaps. Since Boise St. is our last preparation game before the season starts, I would give Whitmer the first quarter, maybe even the second and see how he does. If he's playing better than the last two games, and by some miracle, actually winning, we have to leave him in.

Otherwise, I'd put Boyle in for the second half. If the game is out of hand, I'd leave Boyle in no matter what. I think Boise wins this game easily, but if we have a chance at a win on ABC/ESPN2, we can't play this as a "preparation" game. If we have a chance, win the fahking game, we have 9 more games to evaluate for the future. The team, and the fans, deserve to have Diaco keep the guys on the field who give us the best chance to win.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Recruit a guy better than Boyle, capable of playing as a true frosh. That's a program changer we hired Diaco to bring in. Is it a longshot, yes, but our depth chart went from clogged to wide open. It's something to sell at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom