Jr College, Transfer, v 2nd Frosh QB | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jr College, Transfer, v 2nd Frosh QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is why I think Whitmer is ahead of Boyle. Whitmer has a problem with accuracy, but he's doing a decent job of reading coverages. He's throwing to (okay, near) open guys, and he hasn't thrown any interceptions. Boyle threw 1 interception every 16 pass attempts last year, and generally looked lost.

At this point, Boyle has to take some snaps but I don't understand the argument to start him and bench Whitmer. The argument is let's play the guy who sucked more last year because he might suck less next year.

But with Cochran out, he has to take some snaps. Since Boise St. is our last preparation game before the season starts, I would give Whitmer the first quarter, maybe even the second and see how he does. If he's playing better than the last two games, and by some miracle, actually winning, we have to leave him in.

Otherwise, I'd put Boyle in for the second half. If the game is out of hand, I'd leave Boyle in no matter what. I think Boise wins this game easily, but if we have a chance at a win on ABC/ESPN2, we can't play this as a "preparation" game. If we have a chance, win the fahking game, we have 9 more games to evaluate for the future. The team, and the fans, deserve to have Diaco keep the guys on the field who give us the best chance to win.

Boyle played the toughest teams in the schedule last year as a true FR.... just saying. Let me remind you that Tim Boyle had 310 yards against Cincinnati, the #9 defense in the country in 2013. Whitmer looks lost now and he's a Senior. Boyle is definitely the better player, I'd rather see him than Whitmer. Yes he through a lot of Int. (so did Peyton his rookie season) but he was just a FR those are expected, it shouldn't be expected as much from a Senior though.

Reaction Score
Boyle actually had so many dropped passes vs usf he probably would have broke 300 yards in that game. If this o line play continues we are foingnro see him and the debate is useless

Reaction Score
Recruit a guy better than Boyle, capable of playing as a true frosh. That's a program changer we hired Diaco to bring in. Is it a longshot, yes, but our depth chart went from clogged to wide open. It's something to sell at least.

I think the staff thinks they've found that in Tyler Davis.

Reaction Score
Boyle played the toughest teams in the schedule last year as a true FR.... just saying. Let me remind you that Tim Boyle had 310 yards against Cincinnati, the #9 defense in the country in 2013. Whitmer looks lost now and he's a Senior. Boyle is definitely the better player, I'd rather see him than Whitmer. Yes he through a lot of Int. (so did Peyton his rookie season) but he was just a FR those are expected, it shouldn't be expected as much from a Senior though.

If we're going to talk about qualifiers to justify performances...

Whitmer went to Illinois, then Juco, then UConn where he is on his third OC in three years. And his 5th OC in five years.

Reaction Score
If we're going to talk about qualifiers to justify performances...

Whitmer went to Illinois, then Juco, then UConn where he is on his third OC in three years. And his 5th OC in five years.

Elaborate

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Will Rishell was not a great quarterback at RHAM, the high school that has had all of one winning seasons, much less at UConn. Sorry, but it is the truth. He is a good kicker though
Interesting. Noticed at the game that in the program he is listed as a K but online he is listed as a QB. I guess it makes sense to have a walk-on that can do both in the event of injuries to either position.

If the worst were to happen (Whitmer and Boyle are hurt at the same time) do you just throw Rishell out there to hand the ball off 90% of the plays and throw quick routes the other 10%? I guess it's probably Abrams running a mostly option oriented offense if he's the closest we have to being able to convert to QB.

I feel like it's just a matter of time until Whitmer is banged up. At that point when Boyle comes in we are literally looking at no further options. It's a scary situation to be in. Put three halfbacks out there at once and run a triple option with one taking the snap. Might be more entertaining than what we've seen thus far :eek:

Reaction Score
Correct. I'm really tired of this QB discussion. I know I've been snarky a lot, but Whitmer is #1, Boyle is #2. That's that, and I hope that Whitmer is being prepped and practice like he's getting all the game snaps again, and that Boyle has progressed from being a true frosh, to a true soph.
Acknowledging an issue exists now, pot, kettle ...

And, preparing for next year ...

Reaction Score
Correct. I'm really tired of this QB discussion. I know I've been snarky a lot, but Whitmer is #1, Boyle is #2. That's that, and I hope that Whitmer is being prepped and practice like he's getting all the game snaps again, and that Boyle has progressed from being a true frosh, to a true soph. I'm 100% behind Whitmer as our starter, and Boyle as his backup, and preparing that way. I hope we do in reality. We've got the NC State transfer that's not eligible this year, so he's running the scout team, and hopefully doing a fantastic job.

The question is who the #3 is going be - without a doubt. At this point in the season, given the way things have gone, the decision to me, comes down to what kind of offensive package we want to have if we get that down far the depth chart. It may be worth it, to go with Abrams, or any other player qualified, that can run an Army style option offense, and keep that worked up and at a state of readiness in a glass case marked "break in case of emergency".

Well said. Couldn't agree more!

Reaction Score
OK fine I've seen enough of Chandler as the starter. Let him win or lose the job this week if Coach D doesn't get it yet. Tired of seeing the most talented QB on the team standing around with a clipboard.
Is he the most talented qb on the team because:
A. He's the backup
B. He's from Connecticut
C. We just really hope he's better than they guys he couldn't beat out because we've desperate
D. He lives next door to you
I say A.

Reaction Score
My thought really is that for this year we'll do what most teams do. If we get to the point where we need to use our #4, we'll wing it. Edsall had that problem a couple of years ago at Maryland and used a linebacker. We had the problem back in 2006 I think, when both Bones and DJ went down and we started the true frosh vs Rutgers and one of the d-backs, can't recall exactly which one, was listed as the backup.USF used a walk on against us and he played pretty well a few years ago. These things happen and teams do what they need to do. Shula used his halfback, Tom Matte in an NFL playoff game when Unitas and his backup went down, and Matte called plays written on his wrist band (qbs called their own plays back in the dark ages). Basically you do what you need to do to get through the situation and I have no doubt UConn is working something out.

As to the future, I would think that UConn will likely look for a JUCO or a grad. That seems to be standard procedure to fill this kind of situation. I also think we'll see a different style of quarterback under Diaco than we saw with Pasqualoni, and to an extent Edsall. I would guess that we are looking for someone more in style of a Murphy or even Tyler Lorenzen going forward rather than a pro-style attack. Both the transfer from NC State and the incoming freshman or more that style of player and even with Whitmer they used some designed runs last week.

Reaction Score
Continuing with the theme that the next guy is always the best guy let's remember something.

Lorenzen, Frazer, and Whitmer were all transfers. All of whom were very mediocre at their very best.

We can bring in a 5th year guy or a JuCo, but all that guarantees is depth. Not quality. We're badly in need of both right now.

Reaction Score
Continuing with the theme that the next guy is always the best guy let's remember something.

Lorenzen, Frazer, and Whitmer were all transfers. All of whom were very mediocre at their very best.

We can bring in a 5th year guy or a JuCo, but all that guarantees is depth. Not quality. We're badly in need of both right now.
I agree and depth is really what I'm looking for next year. We'll have Boyle, the Kid from NC State & a true frosh. I'd rather have another guy who has played above the high school level in that mix. That and maybe best case a stopgap to get us to the incoming kid who will be diaco's guy and presumably the style of quarterback Diaco wants. As far a JUCO quarterbacks, I'm of the school that mostly they are JUCOs for a reason.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I agree and depth is really what I'm looking for next year. We'll have Boyle, the Kid from NC State & a true frosh. I'd rather have another guy who has played above the high school level in that mix. That and maybe best case a stopgap to get us to the incoming kid who will be diaco's guy and presumably the style of quarterback Diaco wants. As far a JUCO quarterbacks, I'm of the school that mostly they are JUCOs for a reason.

Depends on why they are at JUCO. Some are grade issues - some are legal issues - some just not good enough.
Cam Newtown went from JUCO to Auburn. Rare but worked!
Richard Lagow is at a JUCO now - could come back.
http://www.cisco.edu/s/926/athletics/athletics.aspx?sid=926&gid=1&pgid=509

:)

Reaction Score

My preference is quality. We'll have two on the roster with experience, two sophomores (one RS). one true freshman (recruited to play QB unlike Kamal)

If we can get a JuCo or 5th year the staff believes can come in and possibly start, then take him. But if we can sign a guy who they believe will be better in 3 or 4 years, take him.

Ideally, take both.

Reaction Score
UConn9604 said:
I think the staff thinks they've found that in Tyler Davis.

If a true freshman sees meaningful action at qb, we are in big trouble

Reaction Score
Depends on why they are at JUCO. Some are grade issues - some are legal issues - some just not good enough. Cam Newtown went from JUCO to Auburn. Rare but worked! Richard Lagow is at a JUCO now - could come back.

Unfortunately, UCONN doesn't do SEC deals and Cam Newton was a fairly expensive free agent for Auburn. As for Lagow, there's probably not a snow ball's chance with him ever returning to Storrs. Ever's ideally a fairly long time.

How 'bout the 2 Aussies on his JC? Pretty big fellas (6'4" 290 and 6'6" 310). Aussie Aussie Aussie ... oi oi oi.

Reaction Score
What a long strange trip it has been for UConn at quarterback. Other teams might have similar problems, and I don't remember because I don't follow them as closely, but yikes. since Orlovsky graduated in 2004, we have had the following start games: Bones, DJ Hernandez, Dennis Brown, Tyler Lorenzen, Zach Frazer, Endres, Johnny Video, Mike Box, Whitmer, Boyle, and Cochran. did I miss anyone? that is a forgettable lot. And if I were to rank them I'd have to put Lorenzen and Frazer as 1 and 1A because they quarterbacked teams that won big games and won more than they lost. Cochran I thought was going to be the best but his career was too short to really evaluate. We've recruited and it hasn't worked out. We've brought in transfers, and it hasn't worked. We've brought in JUCOs with at best modest success. When we got Orlovsky out of the box, did someone in Storrs make a pact with the Devil that we'd never get another quality quarterback?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom