Journal Inquirer article: A 2-for-1 deal at UConn | The Boneyard

Journal Inquirer article: A 2-for-1 deal at UConn

Reaction Score
Article about UConn potentially starting Gaffney and Cole in the backcourt as a 2 pronged point guard attack like many UConn teams have.

“Me and Jalen together, that would be, that would be an amazing thing,” Cole said. “We’re both playmakers, unselfish, we like to play with our teammates.”

For those without JI access: A 2-for-1 deal at UConn

Reaction Score
Good article and exciting potential. Seems all are impressed with Sanogo too.

Jalen looks to be doing all the right things so good for him and us. Needs to make open shots though especially if in the lineup with RJ or RJ will have a tough time getting open looks. I do believe despite his numbers he's a much better shooter than we saw, I do hope so! No matter so much excitement around the team, they really need to play or it will really really suck!

Reaction Score
Article about UConn potentially starting Gaffney and Cole in the backcourt as a 2 pronged point guard attack like many UConn teams have.

“Me and Jalen together, that would be, that would be an amazing thing,” Cole said. “We’re both playmakers, unselfish, we like to play with our teammates.”

For those without JI access: A 2-for-1 deal at UConn
I think Gaffney/Cole will be the starting backcourt next season.

Reaction Score

Jalen looks to be doing all the right things so good for him and us. Needs to make open shots though especially if in the lineup with RJ or RJ will have a tough time getting open looks. I do believe despite his numbers he's a much better shooter than we saw, I do hope so! No matter so much excitement around the team, they really need to play or it will really really suck!
Im in the minority but i have a lot of faith in Gaffney. I think hes going to be terrific for the next 3 years here. Have a little faith lol

Reaction Score
I think Gaffney is going to be a really good four year player. I think he's going to be one of those guys the we always wish could be on our side, but this time, he actually is.
UConn has a need for some guards. They have a need for a guard. They believe when it’s time for Trevor to get there, a couple of their guys [James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney] have an opportunity to go to the next level. They need a guy that can come in and be ready to play.”

Reaction Score
UConn has a need for some guards. They have a need for a guard. They believe when it’s time for Trevor to get there, a couple of their guys [James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffney] have an opportunity to go to the next level. They need a guy that can come in and be ready to play.”
now that bouk's made it clear 2 years is and was always the plan, who better to fill his scholly than keels?

Reaction Score
now that bouk's made it clear 2 years is and was always the plan, who better to fill his scholly than keels?
I would love it if we landed keels. We don’t have any scholarships open right now. I just don’t see him waiting until after the season is over to make a commitment. I suppose we could always take it and fake someone else as a walk on until Bouk declares.

Reaction Score
Im in the minority but i have a lot of faith in Gaffney. I think hes going to be terrific for the next 3 years here. Have a little faith lol

I do have faith and I am sure at the very least he will be a very good 4 year piece for us. But I do need to see more in regards to shooting, guarding quick PGs and running the offense against quicker defenders. He was good, solid but the guy I saw last year only has potential to be a starting guard for us especially in the Big East now. But he sure looks and sounds like he’s ready to improve.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I do have faith and I am sure at the very least he will be a very good 4 year piece for us. But I do need to see more in regards to shooting, guarding quick PGs and running the offense against quicker defenders. He was good, solid but the guy I saw last year only has potential to be a starting guard for us especially in the Big East now. But he sure looks and sounds like he’s ready to improve.

He was also a true freshman handed the keys to the team. We haven't had many of those in our program's history. Shabazz even had his struggles when he ran the team his sophomore year. I have no reason to expect that he wouldn't improve.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup depends on what we can put out there at the 3 spot. I don't think Bouk is an ideal 3 for us, but he can be if needed. So while I expect we will see that three guard lineup, I can't see that being the primary lineup, especially if Martin gets a waiver. If Polley isn't ready right away and Jackson hasn't shown he can start, maybe we start off with 3 guards.

Lots of uncertainty with minutes and starting jobs, including a lighter Josh Carlton, who will probably start with Whaley at PF.

Reaction Score
We don’t have any scholarships open right now.
thanks captain obvious (JK) i know we don't have any more schollys but in this instance it's a distinction without a difference. bouk explicitly said he's leaving so it's not like hurley is recruiting over him by signing Keels (like Cal does every year at UK forcing the players to move on whether or not theyre ready)

caveat- if we dont have a season and hurley still hasnt signed a 4th player by the spring then i'm gonna assume that means bouk might come back

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Somebody's bound to get hot.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think the starting lineup depends on what we can put out there at the 3 spot. I don't think Bouk is an ideal 3 for us, but he can be if needed. So while I expect we will see that three guard lineup, I can't see that being the primary lineup, especially if Martin gets a waiver. If Polley isn't ready right away and Jackson hasn't shown he can start, maybe we start off with 3 guards.

Lots of uncertainty with minutes and starting jobs, including a lighter Josh Carlton, who will probably start with Whaley at PF.

An opening night lineup of Cole, Gaff, Bouk, Whaley and Carlton isn't hard to imagine.

Reaction Score
An opening night lineup of Cole, Gaff, Bouk, Whaley and Carlton isn't hard to imagine.
It's either this lineup, or I really think Polley will start at the 4 if he's good to go. That's 4 out, good playmaking and ball handling, multiple scorers and shooters, great spacing, high octane, and Carlton in the post with legit post moves.

Reaction Score
thanks captain obvious (JK) i know we don't have any more schollys but in this instance it's a distinction without a difference. bouk explicitly said he's leaving so it's not like hurley is recruiting over him by signing Keels (like Cal does every year at UK forcing the players to move on whether or not theyre ready)

caveat- if we dont have a season and hurley still hasnt signed a 4th player by the spring then i'm gonna assume that means bouk might come back
Note the second half of my post. My question is really are we still recruiting Keels? That post is from months ago. If we're actively recruiting anyone from 2021 then what we both said must be the plan. To clarify the second half of my post, if we are still recruiting Keels then I imagine he can commit to Uconn and not sign a scholarship offer until Bouk declares. Any student can "commit" to UConn and determine how they're going to pay in the Spring/Summer. If we're not recruiting Keels or anyone else for that matter then I'm guessing we won't find out until after the season.

Reaction Score
I’m not a huge fan of two PG’s
It worked in 1999. But it failed at other times . That’s not to say situationally It can’t work, In 2011 Calhoun would move Kemba there but that was to rest him without taking him off the floor. His mere presence was a confidence builder for that very young team.
Call me Old fashioned but give me a lights out shooter at the 2. Paired with a guy who can get everyone else good shoots, penetrate, finish, knock down an occasional three keeping the D honest.
I’d love to see Bouknight at the two
that opens up things for a crowed wing. I have the feeling he will shoot the three in 40% area. These are fun problems to have contrasted with some undermanned teams of the recent past.

pj

Reaction Score
I like the two point guards, but I don't like Whaley and Carlton on the court at the same time - not sure I like Carlton on the court at all. Sanogo, Andre Jackson, Tyrese Martin if he's eligible, and Akok or Polley if healthy could all make their way into the starting lineup by midway through the season. Sanogo maybe from day 1. If Akok and Polley don't take the job, Richie Springs has a chance to start at the 4.

I don't feel I can predict lineups especially at start of season, but I can predict that Dan Hurley is going to have a lot of options.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's either this lineup, or I really think Polley will start at the 4 if he's good to go. That's 4 out, good playmaking and ball handling, multiple scorers and shooters, great spacing, high octane, and Carlton in the post with legit post moves.

If Polley is ready and is showing in practice what he showed the last few games before his injury you can put him at the 4 and start Whaley at the 5.

I do believe Polley's ability to mix up and rebound and any improvement from Josh due to lost weight means who is starting is less essential than who is finishing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom