2025 Recruiting: - Joson Sanon | The Boneyard

2025 Recruiting: Joson Sanon

Reaction Score
I was going to put this in the Cooper Flagg thread since he was mentioned a bunch in there. But that thread deserves to die quickly so I didn't want it living any longer.

Anyway, glad to see UConn is showing interest. The articles I've seen in the last couple months about Sanon didn't mention UConn.

On3 MVP: 4-star SG Joson Sanon (2025)

Joson Sanon came into this game with his last performance being a 46-point outburst earlier in the week. Sanon kept the confidence high, knocking down a flurry of shots early in the game. He showed the ability off the catch and off two and three dribble pull-ups. Sanon rebounded the ball at a high rate here, and he pushed the break to initiate the offense for his team. Sanon plays an efficient game. he does not do what he is not able and he takes what the defense gives him. The balance and footwork of Sanon’s jump shot are consistent and his release is clean. Sanon finished with 32 points, seven rebounds, and five steals while going 3-of-4 from three. Providence head coach Kim English was courtside, along with coaches from UConn, Marquette, Xavier, and others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So I do not post often but have followed recruiting pretty closely since Hurley arrived and am a little nervous about us not be associated with many recruits from 2025. In years past it seemed like we cast a wider net and I have not heard UConn being mentioned by any of the top recruits in the class. I know it’s early and I am obviously thrilled to be a fan of the program and am very thankful to have such a great coach and staff. Anyone have any names aside from Sanon that there is actual interest? I know it’s mid season but we are coming off a Natty and kids should be lining up to play for the best coach in college.

Reaction Score
So I do not post often but have followed recruiting pretty closely since Hurley arrived and am a little nervous about us not be associated with many recruits from 2025. In years past it seemed like we cast a wider net and I have not heard UConn being mentioned by any of the top recruits in the class. I know it’s early and I am obviously thrilled to be a fan of the program and am very thankful to have such a great coach and staff. Anyone have any names aside from Sanon that there is actual interest? I know it’s mid season but we are coming off a Natty and kids should be lining up to play for the best coach in college.
Indications I've received suggests it's a conscious thing. Portal first priority, and perhaps being a bit more stingy with offers in order to match the current program prestige (ie you don't see Duke/UK offering early, they wait and jump in late).

Reaction Score
that and a big in the portal would be really swell too
There’s got to be an experienced big that will flourish under Hurley. I’m so glad we got Cam, but I wonder if Nick Timberlake would’ve been more productive under a different coaching staff

Reaction Score
Staff seems to have a very narrow focus with the top HS recruits, not alot of volume, while sifting through the transfer portal looking for our kind of kid. Portal seems to be late breaking, while interest from the Cooper Flagg types is hard to come by.

Reaction Score

Hurley has never recruited many players. It is still pretty early for 2025 anyways. Next summer will be when we learn more.

Half of recruiting is the portal. Us long-time followers of recruiting need to recalibrate our expectations. We haven't even finished half of our 2024 recruiting. We have 2025 transfer recruits still playing in hs right now.

Reaction Score
Indications I've received suggests it's a conscious thing. Portal first priority, and perhaps being a bit more stingy with offers in order to match the current program prestige (ie you don't see Duke/UK offering early, they wait and jump in late).
He hasn't casted a wide net at UConn but he shrunk it further this past recruiting cycle honing in on his elite targets. It burned us for '24 and I think he was a bit caught off guard by it. No worries as he always pivots and puts the program in a great place.

I hope we continue to stay on Flagg and I think the staff will continue to put out feelers on him. I don't like hearing from that poster that Sanon wants to leave New England, I expect the staff to put the full court press on him for a reclass. His game is ready for college and we're the best team in the country. Dybantsa maintains he wants to play one year in college and again the best program in the country is less than two hours away from him. Meleek Thomas talked about scheduling visits and I didn't see UConn as one of those visits, hope that changes. We'll obviously be as intriguing as it gets in the portal but it seems to be pretty quiet with high school kids. Doesn't mean they don't have a plan, I no longer worry about recruiting.

Reaction Score
Constant improvement!

Reaction Score
This is consistent with another similar article about 1-2 months ago. We'll see if UConn is interested if he starts mentioning them soon. It's still pretty early for 2025 recruits, unless a recruit says he wants to decide before the spring. Plenty of time for UConn to get involved if they're interested.

Reaction Score
If there's anything I'm not worried about with this staff it's with recruiting. As you said it's pretty early for 2025 recruits. I agree it is a little strange that we haven't heard UConn mentioned much from 2025 recruits but let's revisit this during the summer. I'm sure things will pick up during the spring/summer AAU seasons.

Reaction Score
He hasn't casted a wide net at UConn but he shrunk it further this past recruiting cycle honing in on his elite targets. It burned us for '24 and I think he was a bit caught off guard by it. No worries as he always pivots and puts the program in a great place.

I hope we continue to stay on Flagg and I think the staff will continue to put out feelers on him. I don't like hearing from that poster that Sanon wants to leave New England, I expect the staff to put the full court press on him for a reclass. His game is ready for college and we're the best team in the country. Dybantsa maintains he wants to play one year in college and again the best program in the country is less than two hours away from him. Meleek Thomas talked about scheduling visits and I didn't see UConn as one of those visits, hope that changes. We'll obviously be as intriguing as it gets in the portal but it seems to be pretty quiet with high school kids. Doesn't mean they don't have a plan, I no longer worry about recruiting.
Staff has a plan for sure. Why stay on Flagg though? Ship has sailed, yes?

Reaction Score
Baffling as to why we’re not in on him

Generally when it's baffling there's a good reason for it. Tom Moore knows the Vermont Academy coach (Zall) well so we aren't accidentally overlooking the kid. Academic, character, the kid just doesn't want to come here, not as good as we think... something.

Reaction Score
Generally when it's baffling there's a good reason for it. Tom Moore knows the Vermont Academy coach (Zall) well so we aren't accidentally overlooking the kid. Academic, character, the kid just doesn't want to come here, not as good as we think... something.
He's talking about Sanon.

Oh whoops, you are too.

Reaction Score
Joson Sanon, Vermont Academy: After a relatively lackluster start to the prep school season, Sanon has hit his stride and significantly raised the level of his play in recent weeks. Coming off a 46-point outburst on Wednesday night, which included a reported 9-12 shooting from behind the arc, Sanon dropped 32 more on Friday to lead Vermont Academy to a significant win over Putnam Science Academy. The shooting has been standing out from multiple levels as he consistently rose-up for pull-ups and has simultaneously begun knocking down threes with regularity, which was not necessarily the case a year ago. On the recruiting front, there were a host of schools in to see him on Friday including UConn, Marquette, and Xavier, as he remains a possible reclass candidate.

Reaction Score
Gee. Hearing from Kentucky and Duke. What a surprise. Why isn’t UConn mentioned in those conversations? We’re clearly a higher profile school more so than the teams he’s visited. I don’t get it. No logic here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom