Joshua Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joshua Carlton

Reaction Score
Hopefully he plays like this against better teams or something similar. As long as it is not Brimah against Copping State all over again.

Seems to me ... some of you have the evaluation skills of a turtle.

Carlton was born with better post moves than Brimah ever will have. Repeated, learned, trained, repeated. Carlton had great coaching before arriving in Storrs. He is not natural and was thinking too much last year. Plus slow. But he is absolutely not Brimah. Carlton can gain more confidence and use the skillset trained into him. And pick up speed. Poor Brimah never quite got to a modest level ... I bet he can't learn to dance Latin either.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Seems to me ... some of you have the evaluation skills of a turtle.

Carlton was born with better post moves than Brimah ever will have. Repeated, learned, trained, repeated. Carlton had great coaching before arriving in Storrs. He is not natural and was thinking too much last year. Plus slow. But he is absolutely not Brimah. Carlton can gain more confidence and use the skillset trained into him. And pick up speed. Poor Brimah never quite got to a modest level ... I bet he can't learn to dance Latin either.
I think he was just referring to the monster game Brimah had vs coppin st where he had like 40 points or something but was unable to replicate it.

Reaction Score
I think he was just referring to the monster game Brimah had vs coppin st where he had like 40 points or something but was unable to replicate it.

I understood that perfectly.

Carlton has a far more polished and trained skillset. Brimah did Coppin largely on alley-oops and dunks. SEE ... you can actually DISCERN two contrasting big men's play.

Reaction Score

Carlton has a far more polished and trained skillset. Brimah did Coppin largely on alley-oops and dunks. SEE ... you can actually DISCERN two contrasting big men's play.

Nobody was comparing their games.

Reaction Score
He was.

Brimah and Carlton are two distinctly different big men. Bringing up Brimah in relation to Carlton IS a comparison.

Reaction Score
He was.

Brimah and Carlton are two distinctly different big men. Bringing up Brimah in relation to Carlton IS a comparison.
The point is that hopefully Carlton builds off this and it doesn't become an outlier game. Nothing to do with their skills

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Carlton's performance did not surprise me at all. I thought he was the best big on team going in to the year. I have always liked his footwork and hands the only downsides I saw last year were his lack of explosiveness and reaction times. As somebody stated he appeared to be thinking too much rather than just let his skills go.

He looked more explosive last night and I liked his hedging and just defensive presence in general. He had a few lapses where he seemed just hesitate too long, but he is young and will grow out of that. I think he will br close to a double-double guy for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score
He was.

No, he wasn't. He was saying he hopes it's not an outlier, that's it. He could have used Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's one huge game where he dropped 28 on Georgetown or whoever it was.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

He was really just referencing one player going off once. He could have been using any player who had one super game, didn’t even have to be a big.

Reaction Score
Many UConn fans can see Josh is a different player tonight regardless of the opponent. That dunk under the basket was aggression, last season it would have been a cute layup. Him 'looking to' block shots was certainly a new thing, last year we had no rim protector. People talking about his drive for a loose ball recognize Josh has what appears to be a newfound passion. Hell he's active, mobile, engaged and running up and down the court.

Irrespective of the production last night and the future, the intangibles themselves have changed my perspective concerning our immediate future. Can't wait to see more of him as his development continues. To me he is now the player to watch, just from a game to game improvement.

Now if we can put him next to a PF (e.g. Mamadou, Yakwe) that matches his intangibles and passion, we could be presently surprised as to the damage we will inflict.

Reaction Score
Hurley said on SNY after the game he took the UConn job because of players like Carlton that were currently in the program. He said in the presser that Carlton has the chance to be a really good player on a really good UConn team.

That's good enough for me.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Last year, he really looked like the teenager he was. Now, he looks young, and growing in confidence.

As to the shot he took from near the elbow with the click running down, during First Night, he made most of the 15 or so that he took from there during shootaround, looking like he saw it as a tool in his kit.

I wish last night's had gone in for confidence purposes. Even if it's neither expected nor part of this year's planned offense, I did not flinch when he put the shot up.

Reaction Score
He's a good player, but he's going to be on his own down there an awful lot.

Reaction Score
Spent some time watching Cobb. In his 11 minutes saw him working hard. Not much in way of stats but he had an impact while in there. He was posting up hard up high and when he didn't get the ball he ran out to set picks. Josh and Cobb as the 1/2 punch at center might just be ok. Nice if Cobb can have a little bit of a break out game before Arizona (not much time before Fruit as they are the game after next).

Reaction Score
He's a good player, but he's going to be on his own down there an awful lot.

Valid point. I do think that it will both force him to grow and help him substantially. This is his year to turn into a viable post player and develop. He will get some extra time on the floor that he might not have been able to if there were others with skills like his sitting on the bench.. To quote Hurley “ he is going to be in the deep end of the pool a lot by himself” this will accelerate his growth substantially.

Then we will enjoy the benifits for 2 years.

Reaction Score

A few days ago he was a total non-factor against SCSU. That’s why not everyone here is ready to jump on the bandwagon yet.

He’s capable of doing what he did last night in every game. Lets see him do it for three games in a row before we go overboard.

Reaction Score
17 and 8 is probably about as good a game as UConn ever got from Rod Sellers, and Rod Sellers was a pretty good ballplayer. Josh truly has the potential to be a star and carries himself well.

Reaction Score
Carlton also showed a high basketball I.Q. last night.

He understands the offense. He came out and hedged well. Ran the pick and roll very well. He worked to establish position down low as the ball moved around the perimeter. And he passed the ball when nothing was available. He had trouble with all these things last year.

On defense he was much more adept at knowing when to provide weak side help or go for the block and when to maintain rebounding position. And while this last one is a stretch, he only had two fouls in 27 minutes, last year he average 2.5 fouls every 15 minutes. It was a nice show of maturity.

I’m not sure, but does anyone remember any offensive fouls off a pick and roll? I think not, which should make chief happy.

Reaction Score
17 and 8 is probably about as good a game as UConn ever got from Rod Sellers, and Rod Sellers was a pretty good ballplayer. Josh truly has the potential to be a star and carries himself well.

Rod brought so much more to to table. He handle was awesome when he used latner’s head.

Reaction Score
It's amazing what one summer in a proper conditioning program with a good coach can do for some players. It doesn't matter that it was Morehead State; he looked leaner, quicker off his feet, had better stamina, got higher off the floor, etc. He showed plenty of skill last year, just didn't have the body/wasn't in college shape. He's going to be a very nice four-year player for us.

It also feels so damn good to have a big man threat in the PnR again. It was so sad running PnR after PnR the last few years when the opposition didn't have to worry about the roll man.
You and I saw the same exact things. I liked his skills last year but was concerned with his athleticism. Last night I saw a quicker, more explosive athlete. I'm very excited about what Josh can do this year with some help upfront. Diarra's size and toughness down low will be a huge addition.

Reaction Score
He was.

Do you ever post without attacking another poster or tying to assert your self imagined superior intelligence?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom