Joshua Carlton | The Boneyard

Joshua Carlton

Reaction Score
Josh may have been the biggest development tonight. Because of his play I left this game filling more encouraged than I did when I walked in. If Josh is ready to be a real factor that is huge. All of the ingredients are there. Clean up on some of the turnovers, defensive rotations, and silly fouls and we've got something. The energy and spirit they displayed tonight showed me a team ready to over achieve. The engine has been fixed. Now its time to buffer the outside. Im ready!

Reaction Score
Nothing beat the excitement of the Dan Hurley hire this off season. The word that Josh Carlton was coming back was a close second. He will play huge for us. He just scratched the surface tonight.

Last edited:

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Nothing beat the excitement of the Dan Hurley hire this off season. The word that Josh Carleton was coming back was a close second. He will play huge for us. He just scratched the surface tonight.
Carlton*

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Josh may have been the biggest development tonight. Because of his play I left this game filling more encouraged than I did when I walked in. If Josh is ready to be a real factor that is huge. All of the ingredients are there. Clean up on some of the turnovers, defensive rotations, and silly fouls and we've got something. The energy and spirit they displayed tonight showed me a team ready to over achieve. The engine has been fixed. Now its time to buffer the outside. Im ready!
We have not a polished front court guy with hands and feet like Josh (outside of Shonn Miller’s one year) since....I’m not sure. Okafor? Obviously it’s one game vs an overmatched opponent but if he can be a “get you a bucket” big guy that changes EVERYTHING. I’m not saying he’s going to be getting 17 and 8 every night but 8 and 5 or so takes us to a different level.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I am pleased with his composure and touch around the hoop.

Even against better competition the opponent will have to be honest when he posts up.

Makes the 4 out 1 in offensive spread much more lethal.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should overreact because Carlton had some good games last year against undersized teams. He didn't really show me anything different to make me think he had some crazy off season development but perhaps that is because I have been high on his offensive potential since last season. That semi buzzkill aside, having a tall guy with good hands, touch and footwork is really nice to see and I see Josh having a really solid season. I am just anxious to see how his craft holds up against some big goons, which we probably won't actually see too much in conference but will in the OOC. I do hope Sal can get him a little more jacked up.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should overreact because Carlton had some good games last year against undersized teams. He didn't really show me anything different to make me think he had some crazy off season development but perhaps that is because I have been high on his offensive potential since last season. That semi buzzkill aside, having a tall guy with good hands, touch and footwork is really nice to see and I see Josh having a really good season. I do hope Sal can get him a little more jacked up.
His shot blocking tonight and his assertivness are absolutely revelations

Reaction Score
Josh has been under estimated by the Boneyard because of his lack of explosion.

But this is a young monster. He played some of his best basketball last year against our toughest opponents. I stand by my prediction of 8 and 7 a game but may revise it if this keeps up.

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
If, even at bare minimum, this game was only a confidence booster for josh, ill take it. A boost in that department this year will pay huge dividends for the team the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
His shot blocking tonight and his assertivness are absolutely revelations

Assertiveness is the key with him. If he's willing to bamg underneath he has all the tools

Reaction Score
Maybe the new conditioning coach worked magic with Josh. Who knows but even though he showed talent last year this looks like a breakthrough. I saw footwork and moves around the basket with aggressiveness, blocks, rebounds etc. I know it’s Morehead, I realize that but the 5 position is not a black hole for us any way you slice it. Need a 4 to play up, maybe Polley. This could be Hurley coaching him up. I’d put my money on that one.

Reaction Score
I liked Carlton from day 1 and im thrilled to see him get off to a nice start and seeing him do some things we didnt see last year. If he can give us 8-6-2 a night im happy. 12-7-2 id be jumping over the moon. 15-7-2 a night and youll need to call the coroner lol! If he can be an anchor in the middle this changes expectations for this team signifigantly.

Reaction Score
Carlton also showed a high basketball I.Q. last night.

He understands the offense. He came out and hedged well. Ran the pick and roll very well. He worked to establish position down low as the ball moved around the perimeter. And he passed the ball when nothing was available. He had trouble with all these things last year.

On defense he was much more adept at knowing when to provide weak side help or go for the block and when to maintain rebounding position. And while this last one is a stretch, he only had two fouls in 27 minutes, last year he average 2.5 fouls every 15 minutes. It was a nice show of maturity.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should overreact because Carlton had some good games last year against undersized teams. He didn't really show me anything different to make me think he had some crazy off season development but perhaps that is because I have been high on his offensive potential since last season. That semi buzzkill aside, having a tall guy with good hands, touch and footwork is really nice to see and I see Josh having a really solid season. I am just anxious to see how his craft holds up against some big goons, which we probably won't actually see too much in conference but will in the OOC. I do hope Sal can get him a little more jacked up.

You saw him spin away from and split double teams last year? His movements are still very stiff, but he didn't have that capability last year, regardless of opponent.

Reaction Score
It's amazing what one summer in a proper conditioning program with a good coach can do for some players. It doesn't matter that it was Morehead State; he looked leaner, quicker off his feet, had better stamina, got higher off the floor, etc. He showed plenty of skill last year, just didn't have the body/wasn't in college shape. He's going to be a very nice four-year player for us.

It also feels so damn good to have a big man threat in the PnR again. It was so sad running PnR after PnR the last few years when the opposition didn't have to worry about the roll man.

Reaction Score
That's by far the best Carlton has played as a Husky.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You saw him spin away from and split double teams last year? His movements are still very stiff, but he didn't have that capability last year, regardless of opponent.
Biggest thing is confidence. He looked like he expected every play to go his way. Yeah... Moorehead St... but still, I don't remember him looking that way before.

Reaction Score
Confidence comes when you know you've improved your body/game. I think he was far more confident because he knows he can do things he couldn't do last year.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

He put up 13 and 9 against the eventual national champions last year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom