Josh Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
His numbers are remarkably similar to his sophomore year with a few more shots. He was a good player his sophomore year. Happy he landed in a good spot. The idea that some folks are spinning that he’ll get a shot in the NBA is a little bizzare to me, but he’ll make money playing ball somewhere.
Yep, a couple of points more per game in a couple of less minutes per game. I look at those numbers and icy normal college development over four years. The exception is his junior year where he was squeeze for playing time and struggled in Hurley‘s system. Josh is a good kid and a solid four-year player who didn’t sit well in Hurley‘s system and got squeezed out by players who did.

I’m glad he’s ending his college career on a high note and wish him well wherever life takes him.

Reaction Score
He's always shown glimpses, which is why most Uconn fans got frustrated with him when he couldn't do it consistently. Glad he's figured it out. Would love to face him and Houston in the tourney!
did he figure it out or does Sampson use him in a way he can be more productive?

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Another point worth noting is that Kelvin Sampson said recently in a press conference that because Josh has already graduated from UConn (bachelors in political science), he has a lot more time on his hands to focus on basketball and get into the gym, and apparently he's making the most of it.

Reaction Score
He'll be making money somewhere next year - Sampson will see to it
Thanks for the snark
“The League” is usually reserved for the NBA. Do you think he’ll get a shot in the NBA?

If the answer is no, then he’ll be overseas. Ex: the 3 leagues I listed.

BTW- You’re welcome

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
“The League” is usually reserved for the NBA. Do you think he’ll get a shot in the NBA?

BTW- You’re welcome
I think he’ll be in the G league competing for a spot in the league. It was really unfortunate what happened to him here he’s a + high major starting center just had some bad coaching in year 1, bad S&C plan in year 2/3, a bad system fit with Hurley and a once in a decade big recruit came in underneath him. We really didn’t do right by him in many ways.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are you kidding? This board crucified Carlton for the last two years, and this year he is averaging 11.9 ppg on 60.7% shooting, 6.4 rpg, 1.1 apg. Whether we needed him this year or not, we certainly could have used him more last year.

I remember there was one poster who kept saying that Hurley should play Carlton more. Who was that?

You weren't the only one. I thought he should play more too. But he can't do what Hurley wants on the defensive end, while certainly being a solid paint defender, offensive post player and rebounder. I am glad he is playing well and having success.

Reaction Score
I'm curious who should have been benched last year to give Carlton more minutes. People were also clamoring for more minutes for Sanogo too, but minutes are a zero sum game, especially when Carlton is limited to playing 1 position

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

BTW- You’re welcome
yes as a free agent
I wont diss your comment but it was a snark because UCannUConn said the league so you knew what was meant BTW

Reaction Score
I always thought he was a square peg in a round hole in Hurleys D… I can’t help but wonder how many fouls he committed in the hard hedge. With that said, I’m thrilled he is playing for a great team and will always think of him fondly.

Reaction Score
I think he’ll be in the G league competing for a spot in the league. It was really unfortunate what happened to him here he’s a + high major starting center just had some bad coaching in year 1, bad S&C plan in year 2/3, a bad system fit with Hurley and a once in a decade big recruit came in underneath him. We really didn’t do right by him in many ways.
I could see him getting a sniff in the G League. No offense to Carlton as he's a pretty good college player, but for the NBA game he's undersized (I know he's listed at 6'11, but it's clear from pictures he's the same height as Sanogo and Polley), not particularly athletic, does not have an outside game (offensively or defensively), is not a particularly impressive rim protector, and is old for a prospect. Those are not attributes that generally lead to a real look from the NBA. I feel like the closest reasonable comp to him from the recent NBA is a poor man's Jalil Okafor. Okafor had decent amount of size on him, a more advanced post game coming out of college, and was 4/5 years younger than Carlton will be coming out of college... and Okafor has really struggled to fit in the current NBA game.

Reaction Score
I've been seeing these highlights from him on Twitter. I'm very happy for him. He found a place where he could flourish and enjoy himself. Good for him.

Reaction Score
It's crazy , it's almost as if the longer someone does something that they're good at , the better they get at it.

Reaction Score
Would someone tell me EXACTLY WHEN Josh made a play like that in 4 years at UConn?

Reaction Score
Carlton is an elite passer? I like the kid and thought he deserved better but give me a break, youre making him seem like Jokic. He's a good big thats dominating a horrible conference. Happy for him regardless, but you sound like kind of a moron.

Have you seen Carlton lately? Those long arms are slinging passes all around the perimeter. The throws them like a whip and they're finding the target. Kyler Edwards has been the chief beneficiary.
This may seem controversial to some but I would take Sampson's Josh Carlton over Hurley's Adama Sanogo every time and I wouldn't bat an eye. He has better post moves and, more importantly, better awareness of his teammates. He's dominating the same conference that UConn had a harder time winning in than UConn's current home. Creighton really shouldn't have been that daunting in the post. UConn faced bigger opposition down low from the AAC teams.

Reaction Score
Carlton as he's a pretty good college player, but for the NBA game he's undersized (I know he's listed at 6'11, but it's clear from pictures he's the same height as Sanogo and Polley), not particularly athletic

Carlton is plenty athletic for being that big. Regardless of what you saw in a picture, his arms are most definitely not "undersized," and he uses them more effectively in a basketball sense than a certain muscle bound center we all know.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Have you seen Carlton lately? Those long arms are slinging passes all around the perimeter. The throws them like a whip and they're finding the target. Kyler Edwards has been the chief beneficiary.
This may seem controversial to some but I would take Sampson's Josh Carlton over Hurley's Adama Sanogo every time and I wouldn't bat an eye. He has better post moves and, more importantly, better awareness of his teammates. He's dominating the same conference that UConn had a harder time winning in than UConn's current home. Creighton really shouldn't have been that daunting in the post. UConn faced bigger opposition down low from the AAC teams.
Carlton is averaging 1.1 assists a game, again proving you are delusional about his passing. Also, Sanogo is simply much better than Carlton. Again, happy for Carlton and glad he's succeeding but no high major coach would agree with you about having Carlton (who started the year on the bench and is only starting due to injury and necessity) over Adama (an all big east caliber starting big) is ludicrous.

Reaction Score
Carlton is plenty athletic for being that big. Regardless of what you saw in a picture, his arms are most definitely not "undersized," and he uses them more effectively in a basketball sense than a certain muscle bound center we all know.
I'm not saying the guy has lead feet, but he'd be the least athletic big on the current roster by a pretty decent margin. Again, it's not a knock on him as a college player as clearly he's got the footwork and post-game to still be a quality player, I'm just commenting on the folks that think he's NBA bound. There are NBA centers that are undersized and athletic, and less athletic but have the size, I'm just saying it's really hard to make it work when both are going to be below average at the NBA level.

Reaction Score
Carlton is averaging 1.1 assists a game, again proving you are delusional about his passing. Also, Sanogo is simply much better than Carlton. Again, happy for Carlton and glad he's succeeding but no high major coach would agree with you about having Carlton (who started the year on the bench and is only starting due to injury and necessity) over Adama (an all big east caliber starting big) is ludicrous.

Notching an assist isn't the 'end all' of being a great passer from the post. On an unselfish team the ball will keep finding the best shot, so that 2nd pass will turn into a 3rd, 4th, 5th pass. You should watch them play.
You also moved the goal posts. I simply said one player is more effective than the other player according to how they are being coached. Right now, THAT is who is the "better" player.

Reaction Score
Josh is a great kid and I'm happy that he's doing well at Houston. He's not a better player than Sanogo and swapping him for Sanogo does not make this team better. Talk about trying too hard to sound clever.

Do you remember how Krutwig, and Loyola, beat Cockburn and Illinois?

This isn't a beauty contest. When players have the awareness to play within themselves and truly adjust their games to the will of the team that's usually the recipe for winning.

Carlton has all-conference ability (in the new big east). By his extra senior year, Dan Hurley should've had Carlton positioned to be exploiting a team like Creighton by exerting his will and maturity (like Krutwig did to Illinois). He has that kind of ability. However, in Dan Hurley's system the seniors don't often play with that maturity. Houston is getting that kind of play from Josh Carlton though; and I don't think Sanogo is as effective as he should be either.

Reaction Score
Do you remember how Krutwig, and Loyola, beat Cockburn and Illinois?

This isn't a beauty contest. When players have the awareness to play within themselves and truly adjust their games to the will of the team that's usually the recipe for winning.

Carlton has all-conference ability (in the new big east). By his extra senior year, Dan Hurley should've had Carlton positioned to be exploiting a team like Creighton by exerting his will and maturity (like Krutwig did to Illinois). He has that kind of ability. However, in Dan Hurley's system the seniors don't often play with that maturity. Houston is getting that kind of play from Josh Carlton though; and I don't think Sanogo is as effective as he should be either.
@BigErnMcCracken i think this one is for you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom