Josh Carlton | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
I don’t get the “digs” over Carlton. We choose between him and Sanogo. We made the right call. He elected to go elsewhere. He made the right call for him and is having an outstanding year for a team that, if we’re honest, would be competing with the leaders in the Big East. I’m thrilled to see him having such a great experience with his extra COVID year, and will root for him as one of ours unless Houston plays UConn.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don’t get the “digs” over Carlton. We choose between him and Sanogo. We made the right call. He elected to go elsewhere. He made the right call for him and is having an outstanding year for a team that, if we’re honest, would be competing with the leaders in the Big East. I’m thrilled to see him having such a great experience with his extra COVID year, and will root for him as one of ours unless Houston plays UConn.

Are you kidding? This board crucified Carlton for the last two years, and this year he is averaging 11.9 ppg on 60.7% shooting, 6.4 rpg, 1.1 apg. Whether we needed him this year or not, we certainly could have used him more last year.

I remember there was one poster who kept saying that Hurley should play Carlton more. Who was that?

Reaction Score
Josh made the right decision for himself re: prospective PT at UConn.. Our front court was crowded. I'm glad to see him smiling and having a good time.. As has been stated before.. As soon as Sampson found out he was in the portal.. He said sign him up.. The rest is history

Looks like Josh/Tyler/Isiah will all be "dancing" in their fifth year. Happy for all of them.

Reaction Score
Carlton is having fun playing this year. After that dunk, he was going up and down the court with the biggest smile on his face.
It should have never been a matter of choosing Carlton over Sanogo. They are different players.
Each guy should've been in the game according to tactical advantages that Hurley should've wanted to exploit.
Carlton is more multidimensional than Sanogo. He just whips passes around to his teammates. Sanogo doesn't have that dimension and Houston is capitalizing on it. Carlton will snag passes out of the air with his length that Sanogo wouldn't get to.
OTOH, Sanogo is a ball of energy and brings explosive power to the game.
Each guy has a unique toolset that the coach has to want to exploit.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched a full Houston game yet, only a few minutes at a time channel flipping, and a few clips of Josh's big games. Defensively, have they been extending him to the perimeter hedging, or keeping him in the paint? I have seen some plays going through him to distribute which is a part of his game he could always do effectively, but we chose to ignore. I just think we weren't willing to adjust our play to Josh's strengths. Our loss and Houston's gain in a year where we can mostly afford the loss. Importantly, Clingan is best productive in the same way.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Josh was a great member of this program. Going to Houston was an awesome move for all parties- UConn, Carlton and Houston.
Josh wouldn’t have the PT here this year that he has at Houston, and he would’ve deserved a lot better.
And he gets to compete on a Final Four level team. And we get another backup team to root for in March!

His athleticism seems to have gone up a notch in the last year.

Reaction Score
He's a good player who didn't fit here and found a better situation. He was the 3rd best big man on the team last year and would have been the 3rd best big man this year, made sense for everyone involved to find a better fit

Reaction Score
Josh was most certainly under appreciated on the Boneyard. Nice to see him getting accolades at Houston. He always represented himself and university with class. Wish nothing but the best for the young man.

Reaction Score
He's always shown glimpses, which is why most Uconn fans got frustrated with him when he couldn't do it consistently. Glad he's figured it out. Would love to face him and Houston in the tourney!

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? This board crucified Carlton for the last two years, and this year he is averaging 11.9 ppg on 60.7% shooting, 6.4 rpg, 1.1 apg. Whether we needed him this year or not, we certainly could have used him more last year.

I remember there was one poster who kept saying that Hurley should play Carlton more. Who was that?
12 points & 6 rebounds are good. He's a little better at Houston than he was at UConn. His 18-19 year for UConn he had 9 pt / 6 reb, in 19-20 he had 8 pts / 6 rebs,...so not a major jump. If he gets 20 mins per game he'll get you 8 -12 points & 6 rebounds.

He didn't really fit her with Sanogo, he could only get 10 mins a game last year, would have been same this year...Sanogo is better. Glad that Carlton found 20 mins on a good team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Honestly 12 points & 6 rebounds are fine but not earth shattering.

His 18-19 year for UConn he had 9 pt / 6 reb, in 19-20 he had 8 pts / 6 rebs,...so what's the major jump? If he gets 20 mins per game he'll get you 8 -12 points & 6 rebounds.

He didn't fit her with Sanogo, he could only get 10 mins a game last year, would have been same this year...Sanogo is much better.

Those averages have spiked in the last month now that Houston is playing through Josh (after Sasser and Mark went out). He had 15 rebounds yesterday and his impact on the game now is closer to that number.

Teams will scheme Sanogo (in March) much differently than they would've been able to scheme Carlton (who is an elite passer). The reason Sampson wanted him was Carlton was one of the only bigs he'd seen that showed an ability to score on Houston's double team "Monster" sets in the post.

Reaction Score
It should have never been a matter of choosing Carlton over Sanogo. They are different players.
Each guy should've been in the game according to tactical advantages that Hurley should've wanted to exploit.
It’s a nice thought, but ultimately there are only 40 minutes available at the 5. Sanogo and Carlton can’t play anywhere else and there are times where you need Whaley in there for his defense. So it really is a zero sum game between Sanogo and Carlton (mostly) for minutes and obviously there just weren’t enough there for Carlton’s liking. There’s nothing wrong with that and he found himself a great landing spot.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The Mummy!!!!!

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Those averages have spiked in the last month now that Houston is playing through Josh (after Sasser and Mark went out). He had 15 rebounds yesterday and his impact on the game now is closer to that number.

Teams will scheme Sanogo (in March) much differently than they would've been able to scheme Carlton (who is an elite passer). The reason Sampson wanted him was Carlton was one of the only bigs he'd seen that showed an ability to score on Houston's double team "Monster" sets in the post.
Carlton is an elite passer? I like the kid and thought he deserved better but give me a break, youre making him seem like Jokic. He's a good big thats dominating a horrible conference. Happy for him regardless, but you sound like kind of a moron.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
That's a degree of mobility I've never seen from him before. Shedding the extra weight seems to have been a great decision.
Sal bulking him up ended up being a big mistake. I think he gets a shot in the league.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Josh was average at best as a Husky. Why ya’ll so thirsty for Carlton. Yikes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Said it before, but he’s in his 5th year. Most players who get the amount of experience Carlton had here don’t get a 5th year to go dominate a mid major conference.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
4EBF2BF9-906B-4022-A9C0-6A701CAABED0.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom