Josh Carlton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying that I am thrilled to have Dan Hurley as our Head Coach. I think the future is very bright from a long term perspective with him running the program.

That said, I really hope that Josh Carlton chooses to remain a UConn player. His presence on next season's roster would be a big help in terms of having a successful season and building for the future. He is the most fundamentally sound Center we have had in a long time.

I am sure that Coach Hurley is doing what he can to retain Josh. It seems like he is far more likely to return than he was a couple weeks ago. Just my opinion, but having Josh as our Center with Kisunas as his backup would make us really solid at the 5, and that is certainly a great place to start.

TCF, any chance you could put together a short compilation of Josh's highlights from his freshman season? I know many of us would enjoy watching it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So, nothing like Hibbert.

Style of play, like I said. Earthbound. A little slower paced. Can pass it a bit. Good hands. Can block shots. When he sorts out his feet, the footwork will be good. More oldschool than what you see a lot of these days.

Reaction Score
I'd like the team to retain Carlton. When he was involved in the offense last season he had some impact and should get better. He could be a nice player with some more seasoning. I kept yelling at the TV for them to throw him the darn ball on the block.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Huskybass is always on point. Sorry, I couldnt resist pulling a Chief.

Editor's note: It felt creepy to refer to myself in the third person, but somehow I am ok with it as part of the Chief persona.
Isn't that how possession starts?

exorcist.jpg

"Linda has a Blazing strategy for UConn Basketball"​

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yeah well, I qualified with "is a more raw, less skilled, smaller version...". So more of a style comparison.

People get all huffy about player comparisons... are you ever going to naturally compare a guy to some no name who stinks? Not usually...

If you say “he’s similar to X, has potential to reach his level but with less Y and Z,” that is somehow egregious, preposterous, OUTRAGEOUS!

Reaction Score
I miss the days when an Elite 8 finish was a disappointment. :([/QUOTE]

Look at the positives....
We were just one win away from making the Elite 8 of the 2018 AAC tournament
Waiting for te t-shirts to go on sale

Carlton has upside...hitting Josh Boone status would be fabulous

Reaction Score
Carlton has upside...hitting Josh Boone status would be fabulous
I still think that by the time he's a junior he'll be our Billy Curley. Same type of player, same build. People are just thrown off by the different skin tone.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I still think that by the time he's a junior he'll be our Billy Curley. Same type of player, same build. People are just thrown off by the different skin tone.

I was thinking Jack Cooley

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't see the Boone comparison. Boone was an exceptional rebounder, not sure Carlton will be that. But I think Carlton has potential to be a good low post scorer playing in a better system with better instruction. Low post guys were very reluctant to kick it back out last year, probably because they knew they wouldn't see it again.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Josh reminds me quite a bit of himself. I mean, it's uncanny the similarities.

Aside from that, what is the point? He's tall. Not a leaper, but arms are long enough. He has pretty good hands, and some decent post moves for a freshman. He's not a great rebounder, but some additional strength will allow him to hold his position better on defense and block-outs. I see some indications of shooting touch that should develop. He'd need a lot more bulk to back people down, I don't see that as his game. But it seems like he has some fairly deft spin/bank shots that he can use to good effect. If he can develop a face up jumper from 10', that would be big.

I'd like to see how he runs the floor. Haven't had enough of a sample size yet since our offense was so plodding. Lack of footspeed would be a limiting factor for him on this team, based on what I expect to see. I'm confident Diarra has wheels and can finish on the break. I think even Cobb can get out and finish (for how long I'm not sure). Whaley is built for that kind of role.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom