Josh Carlton | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying that I am thrilled to have Dan Hurley as our Head Coach. I think the future is very bright from a long term perspective with him running the program.

That said, I really hope that Josh Carlton chooses to remain a UConn player. His presence on next season's roster would be a big help in terms of having a successful season and building for the future. He is the most fundamentally sound Center we have had in a long time.

I am sure that Coach Hurley is doing what he can to retain Josh. It seems like he is far more likely to return than he was a couple weeks ago. Just my opinion, but having Josh as our Center with Kisunas as his backup would make us really solid at the 5, and that is certainly a great place to start.

TCF, any chance you could put together a short compilation of Josh's highlights from his freshman season? I know many of us would enjoy watching it.

Reaction Score
Let me start by saying that I am thrilled to have Dan Hurley as our Head Coach. I think the future is very bright from a long term perspective with him running the program.

That said, I really hope that Josh Carlton chooses to remain a UConn player. His presence on next season's roster would be a big help in terms of having a successful season and building for the future. He is the most fundamentally sound Center we have had in a long time.

I am sure that Coach Hurley is doing what he can to retain Josh. It seems like he is far more likely to return than he was a couple weeks ago. Just my opinion, but having Josh as our Center with Kisunas as his backup would make us really solid at the 5, and that is certainly a great place to start.

TCF, any chance you could put together a short compilation of Josh's highlights from his freshman season? I know many of us would enjoy watching it.
Huskybass, you are on point this morning.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, it makes no sense for Carlton to leave. There’s a new found excitement for the program, a coach that would be here for the remainder of his college career and an abundance of playing time available.

Unless he felt such a strong bond with KO, Killings etc and that he truly had a much better chance of developing into a pro under those guys, UConn is a great home for him. I think he’ll stay and am excited to watch him a few more years.

Reaction Score

@tcf15

FIFY

Reaction Score
Heard very likely to stay from a few sources
I would hope so. He's a key player going into his sophomore year, with Hurley potentially emphasizing interior passing. Josh is going to be solid in the post.

Starting center on a rising team with a new coach that has a fresh energized focus. Let's go JC!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would hope so. He's a key player going into his sophomore year, with Hurley potentially emphasizing interior passing. Josh is going to be solid in the post.

Starting center on a rising team with a new coach that has a fresh energized focus. Let's go JC!!
I sang JCs praises before the season and said he could better than many were giving him credit and he proved me right for the most part. I think the kid can be a terrific 4 year player for us and i hope he stays. If he can get stronger and add 10-15lbs over the summer he can really take a leap next year. He could be a poor mans Ok4 which im sure all of us would take.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Carlton reminds me a lot of Josh Boone. He's not a highlight reel kind of player, but just a really traditional 4/5 who doesn't do much flashy but does things well. He's not quite where Josh Boone was by the end of his freshman season, but I think he has the potential to leave UConn on a similar level, should he stay the course.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Carlton is the type of post player we've been lacking for years, since 2009 maybe. He does all of the simple things well and has nice displays of athleticism and even more loads of untapped potential.

Reaction Score
I sang JCs praises before the season and said he could better than many were giving him credit and he proved me right for the most part. I think the kid can be a terrific 4 year player for us and i hope he stays. If he can get stronger and add 10-15lbs over the summer he can really take a leap next year. He could be a poor mans Ok4 which im sure all of us would take.

No. Okafor was an entirely different kettle of fish. Carlton will never have his hops or quickness. What Carlton could become is a more skilled offensive basketball player.

Reaction Score
Carlton reminds me a lot of Josh Boone. He's not a highlight reel kind of player, but just a really traditional 4/5 who doesn't do much flashy but does things well. He's not quite where Josh Boone was by the end of his freshman season, but I think he has the potential to leave UConn on a similar level, should he stay the course.

Boone was much stronger and quicker. Again, Boone was a key starter for a Sweet 16 team as a freshman. Not a spot starter for junk.

I want Carlton back and he could become a good basketball player, but we have seen nothing that allows him to be compared with All American NBA drafted players. could we get a grip.

Reaction Score
Boone was much stronger and quicker. Again, Boone was a key starter for a Sweet 16 team as a freshman. Not a spot starter for junk.

I want Carlton back and he could become a good basketball player, but we have seen nothing that allows him to be compared with All American NBA drafted players. could we get a grip.
Couldn’t agree more. I want him to stay for depth, but having Adams stay is the top of my priority list

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score

Please re-read. Or just the following part of my post:

"He's not quite where Josh Boone was by the end of his freshman season, but I think he has the potential to leave UConn on a similar level, should he stay the course."

I think I made it pretty clear I don't think he's at the same level as freshman Josh Boone. I just see some similarities between the two.

C

Chief00

Huskybass is always on point. Sorry, I couldnt resist pulling a Chief.

Editor's note: It felt creepy to refer to myself in the third person, but somehow I am ok with it as part of the Chief persona.
How can a handle name ever be third person?
It might shock the World, but Skakespeare was one of Chief’s favorite classes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think Carlton is a more raw, less skilled, smaller version of Roy Hibbert at Gtwon.

Reaction Score
Josh is not a leaper by any means, but he has plenty of coordination. I think his athleticism is measured more by his skills as a player. This summer if he works on his explosiveness, strength, and post moves he will much improved come fall. I think Josh has a frame that will fill out quite a bit, and he has the potential to be quite a presence down low. Dude has great hands, strong, and good IQ to go with them. I was impressed by how he learned to play without fouling as the season went by.

Reaction Score
Okafor, Boone, and Hibbert. Might as well compare him to Ewing, Robinson, and Dream while we're at it.

Reaction Score
No. Okafor was an entirely different kettle of fish. Carlton will never have his hops or quickness. What Carlton could become is a more skilled offensive basketball player.

You read too far into my comment.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Huskybass is always on point. Sorry, I couldnt resist pulling a Chief.

Editor's note: It felt creepy to refer to myself in the third person, but somehow I am ok with it as part of the Chief persona.

How can a handle name ever be third person?
It might shock the World, but Skakespeare was one of Chief’s favorite classes.
This is beyond parody. I think I’m in a Monty Python skit.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Okafor, Boone, and Hibbert. Might as well compare him to Ewing, Robinson, and Dream while we're at it.

I don’t like any of those.

Dude is a technician.

He’s not particularly big, strong, athletic, or explosive. But he still was a Plus defensively last year. And he knows what to do with the ball in the paint. But god damn it he needs to start dunking more.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom