Josh Carlton Expectations | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton Expectations

Reaction Score
First Team All American or bust! :)

#5 on the list. Ugh. Although he would have been gone already if he had stayed at UConn.

Reaction Score
5. Steven Enoch, Sr., Louisville: Enoch transferred from UConn to Louisville and blossomed into a shot-blocking, rim-protecting force around the basket

This list is a joke. He is saying that Steve Enoch is a defense force whose offensive game need to improve

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Katz has just been screwing around with these rankings; look at the ones for other positions. Not exactly loads of thought going into these.

Reaction Score
5. Steven Enoch, Sr., Louisville: Enoch transferred from UConn to Louisville and blossomed into a shot-blocking, rim-protecting force around the basket

This list is a joke. He is saying that Steve Enoch is a defense force whose offensive game need to improve
Yeah, he never palyed d here, unless you mean 3 fouls in 13 minutes.

Reaction Score

He did play much much better there than he did here... He was extremely tentative in the paint area here... We haven't been the same since we lost our big man coach

Reaction Score
Didn’t read but I expect 14 ppg and over 2 blocks per game. I would be thrilled with 8 boards per game but not confident on that one.

Edit: Josh should be able to have some games with a few assists too if he’s drawing a lot of attention, our shooters are productive and akok can finish big to big passes. Last season he didn’t look very comfortable against double teams but was improving and definitely has better court vision than the Brimah, Facey, David O’s of the past.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Enoch couldn't play D if his life depended on it. It drove the L'ville fans nuts. He's got 2 left feet. Wouldn't be surprised if someone takes his minutes. Would have loved to hear what the pro folks told him during the draft process

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
What I’d like to see from him is an improvement in physicality, which I think they’re working on by having him heavy lift with Sal. He’s never going to be a plus athlete so he needs to be physically in better shape than the competition. He has the frame to be a bigger more physical center. As he matures I think he’ll get the toughness part down. I love the transformation he’s made under Coach Hurley under Ollie he seemed to be disinterested and didn’t have the work ethic he has now.

Reaction Score
Josh already has more interior moves than any UConn center I can remember. Only Shonn Miller, a forward, compares with him. It is mind-boggling how we went from Brimah, a center with no moves and, indeed, no awareness that there is a backboard in the game of basketball, to Carlton, who has become truly an "operator" underneath (Dr. J, to coin a phrase). All Josh needs to become an elite college center offensively is a bit of additional strength. His complete dominance against mid-majors is an example of what he might do against bigger and better defenders if he can add the muscle to create a little dislocation underneath.

Reaction Score
Josh doesn't get enough credit for his basketball I. Q. He knows what he can and can't do. He understands the offense. He is usually in the right place on defense. His intelligence is one of the reasons I believe he can keep improving.

Reaction Score
Josh doesn't get enough credit for his basketball I. Q. He knows what he can and can't do. He understands the offense. He is usually in the right place on defense. His intelligence is one of the reasons I believe he can keep improving.

Agreed. He is the kind of player that has given us fits for years.

Reaction Score
Josh already has more interior moves than any UConn center I can remember. Only Shonn Miller, a forward, compares with him. It is mind-boggling how we went from Brimah, a center with no moves and, indeed, no awareness that there is a backboard in the game of basketball, to Carlton, who has become truly an "operator" underneath (Dr. J, to coin a phrase). All Josh needs to become an elite college center offensively is a bit of additional strength. His complete dominance against mid-majors is an example of what he might do against bigger and better defenders if he can add the muscle to create a little dislocation underneath.

IMO he doesn't have that many moves per se. He has a jump hook over his shoulder, a dribble drop counter and an up and under. That's all you need as a post in most circumstances. It's not 1998 like I wish it was.

What he's gotten really good at is 1) getting open in his spots and 2) reading his defenders hips to decide which move to use.

Kenya is doing a tremendous job with Josh.

The next step in big is evolution would be a nice 15ft jumper for a pick and pop (that can hopefully turn into a 3 ball by senior year).

Reaction Score
Numbers are dependent on what everyone around him does. He made some great strides last year. He has become a weapon and not a liability. Continue to improve.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I expect him to be our second best player. Around 15 ppg, 7 rpg and 2 blocks. When he gets the ball in the post he’s very hard to stop. Great back to the basket moves that have largely gone out of style. Most bigs want to pretend they are long shooting guards.

I think we will feed him until they double him, which should free up a lot of other good looks. I really think teams are going to struggle to defend both him and Akok at the same time. I’d like to see Josh think pass a bit more. As those double teams come a pass to the weak side should allow easy dunks for Akok and Polley.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I’m looking at this list Haarms is returning? He would have been drafted right? Mobile, athletic, skilled 7’3 kids like him don’t come around too often.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom