Josh Carlton (C) commits to UConn! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Josh Carlton (C) commits to UConn!

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie, and willing to take some backlash if you disagree, but his game reminds me of Jahlil Okafor a little bit. Not the same talent level obviously, but looks to have an old-school game with some athleticism and is apparently a bery good passer.
No you don't deserve backlash that's a pretty damn good comparison. Jahlil A LITTLE Bigger('7) and a little more polished. But the play styles seem very similar

Reaction Score
He has definitely shown the ability to pass the ball and seems to have food hands. He isn't an explosive leaper or quick leaper. Would love to get a big with that quality as well. Diarra has that skill but mot the height to go with it. Not many do.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I know the scouts discount him for lack of back-to-the-basket scoring and mediocre athleticism, but this kid seems very underrated.

Or, I'm a sucker for a big with great court vision.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Give me a Knight or Voksuhl big. Decent rebounder, who can finish and looks for the quick outlet pass. Add that guy to this team, even with the injuries, and all of a sudden we look a lot better.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Please don't get your hopes up. He will play about as much as Enoch did his first year.
You're a slave to those rankings.

How about John Collins at Wake compared Chance Comanche at Zona? Collins was ranked like Carlton and Chance was a top 50 player in last year's class, and Collins has been miles better. You have no clue how big men in particular will play until they step on the floor.

Carlton is now the second best player on a team that produced this year's #1 draft pick. I wouldn't just assume he's not going to produce as a freshman because some sites have him as a 3 star recruit.

Reaction Score

How about John Collins at Wake compared Chance Comanche at Zona? Collins was ranked like Carlton and Chance was a top 50 player in last year's class, and Collins has been miles better. You have no clue how big men in particular will play until they step on the floor.

Carlton is now the second best player on a team that produced this year's #1 draft pick. I wouldn't just assume he's not going to produce as a freshman because some sites have him as a 3 star recruit.
Carlton seems to be developing quicker than most. I read a few weeks ago that his production has just about doubled this year. Looks polished in those videos.

Side note: hindsight is 20/20 but damn do I wish we could've inked Harvey.

Reaction Score

I get what you are saying but, its not like enoch wasn't killing @ STM. he averaged 15 & 11 and was second team all new england ( adams and donovon mitchell landed on the first team) which are better numbers than what carlton has vs worst comp.

Reaction Score
I get what you are saying but, its not like enoch wasn't killing @ STM. he averaged 15 & 11 and was second team all new england ( adams and donovon mitchell landed on the first team) which are better numbers than what carlton has vs worst comp.
To some, the incoming kids are always the saviors until they step on the court, at which time they need to hurry up and graduate so new player x can take the roster spot.

Reaction Score

You're quick to make assumptions. Thank you for your one comparison. Rankings don't matter much to me, what matters to me is a lack of athleticism, lateral quickness, and post moves. He will take time to grow and get better, so please caution yourself against his first year contributions.

Or don't.

That teams draft pick is a guard btw.

Reaction Score
Also, I want to be clear, I am not bashing Josh. I think he will really contribute during his time here. But suggesting he will start and play significant minutes next year is setting him up for failure.

Reaction Score
As a junior, Carlton averaged nine points and eight rebounds. He’s averaging 20 points and 12 rebounds this season.

Link: N.C. native Josh Carlton leads nationally ranked DeMatha at Hoodies House holiday tournament

It's not the NEPSAC but Dematha is a national powerhouse and they schedule some of the best of the best. Improving that drastically from junior to senior year is certainly impressive.

Enoch is the starting center next year. Carlton could earn his way onto the court as a backup.
Either Enoch makes a huge leap this offseason or we're in serious trouble if this is the case. We desperately need depth at the 5 - a big who can be a cog in the paint and grab 8-10 rebounds a game. I love the potential Enoch has, especially on the offensive end, but he fouls at an extremely alarming rate, forgets to box out often, and looks lost defensively more possessions than not.

Reaction Score
As a junior, Carlton averaged nine points and eight rebounds. He’s averaging 20 points and 12 rebounds this season.

Link: N.C. native Josh Carlton leads nationally ranked DeMatha at Hoodies House holiday tournament

It's not the NEPSAC but Dematha is a national powerhouse and they schedule some of the best of the best. Improving that drastically from junior to senior year is certainly impressive.

True I overlooked his scoring. enoch was still doing it vs better comp though, rosters stocked with d1 players and postgrads.

Reaction Score
True I overlooked his scoring. enoch was still doing it vs better comp though, rosters stocked with d1 players and postgrads.
Believe me-Carlton is light years ahead of Enoch. At the rate he is developing there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be playing 15-20 minutes a game next year and will be our starting 5 by mid year....

Reaction Score
Believe me-Carlton is light years ahead of Enoch. At the rate he is developing there's no doubt in my mind that he'll be playing 15-20 minutes a game next year and will be our starting 5 by mid year....

Not if his defensive principles are horrible. Unfortunately on that level you can't tell much about defense since so little is played

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
It always amazes me when near 7ft man children can't average 25 pts per game in high school. Get the rebound put it in and make some free throws.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
It always amazes me when near 7ft man children can't average 25 pts per game in high school. Get the rebound put it in and make some free throws.
Bc they're not all lebron James

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom