Sorry @Huskybass, Emeka as a sophomore had:

25 and 11 against Vandy
23 and 19 against Wagner
21 and 13 against St. John's
24 and 15 against Providence
25 and 12 against Boston College
21 and 17 against Texas

23 out of 33 games with 10+ rebounds.

Still, loving what we've seen out of Josh as this season has progressed.

Reaction Score

25 and 11 against Vandy
23 and 19 against Wagner
21 and 17 against Texas

Emeka is my fav player in any sport ever!

Reaction Score

25 and 11 against Vandy
23 and 19 against Wagner
21 and 17 against Texas

Yeah, let's not make him out to be something he's not. There are only a handful of centers in the history of the ncaa who can go toe to toe with emeka.

Carlton can still be very, very good for this team. If he can average 13/9 next year with good defense next year, we'll have a shot to make some noise

Reaction Score
Im happy for Carlton. Theres no way he would put up these stats in a game especially on the road in November. I get the feeling he works so hard with the coaching staff. He deserves this, and I cannot wait to see his progression the next two years.

Reaction Score
Can we compare Carlton to Rod Sellers? Because that's who he reminds me of. And we should be ecstatic if that's what Josh ultimately becomes. Let's just leave Emeka completely out of the convo.

Reaction Score
Im happy for Carlton. Theres no way he would put up these stats in a game especially on the road in November. I get the feeling he works so hard with the coaching staff. He deserves this, and I cannot wait to see his progression the next two years.
He was grinning ear to ear when he came out.
Can anyone explain the large Gilbert support group right behind the bench? Rique wasn’t there and he is from Richmond and Georgia.

Reaction Score
I think Josh can have a Jake Voshkul type ceiling here at UConn.

1552254605086.png

Reaction Score

25 and 11 against Vandy
23 and 19 against Wagner
21 and 17 against Texas

What about Emeka as a Freshman, as this is basically Carlton's freshman year with a real coach...

Reaction Score
Great job developing Josh overt a season. This is what we need. CV and Polley were much improved. Nice to see maturity sink in for Jalen. He played great and within himself. Different player than when he left the floor.

Reaction Score
Emeka is my fav player in any sport ever!
Thanks for the stats, I didnt recall Emeka putting up huge numbers like that as a Soph, he was even better than I remembered. Plus, 20 and 10 from Josh is incredible given our frontcourt woes since Shonn Miller left, and the fact that he will be here two more years. So a little irrational exuberance, and a lot of thrilled for Josh.

Reaction Score
So Carlton went for 40 and 26 against ECU combined this season. Pretty solid. This past month he has really started to assert himself. I like it!!

Last edited:

caw

Reaction Score
If he can get a bit stronger and more explosive he could be really good bc his footwork and BBIQ are excellent for an NCAA center. He does seem to be more explosive around the rim the past half the season. Major steps forward this year.

Reaction Score
The thing that impressed me most as the year has gone on is how his footwork has just gotten better and better. Its translating into some really effective spins and drop steps that are putting him in great position to go up strong. Same with knowing now when and how to catch and use that one power dribble in order to get around his man on the bounce. Stuff you almost never saw out of him last year. If memory serves he seemed to use just a pedestrian hook shot a bunch last year.

This staff has put in a ton of work with him it seems. And Josh has proven to be more than up to the task.

And that’s just offensively. His positional rebounding has grown by leaps and bounds too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While we don't want to compare him to Emeka this year has been pretty impressive for Josh. I mean early on we weren't sure anything much had changed, but suddenly a couple game here and there. There was talk of certain match ups worked for Josh while he won't be really good against better big men or defenses. Well once we got half way through things became a little more consistent, there were signs. Then as we approached the last 10 games we aw something most of us don't believe, a potential really good 5 for 2 more years. As every game was played Josh showed us one or two things more he was learning from the staff, from experience and from just being a smart kid who figured it out the hard way. For instance today a couple things, both on ahead of the court passes he showed athleticism we hadn't really seen. The pass he corralled from Vital in the first half which was not a good pass in which he not only made a great catch but stopped himself from gong out of bounds and dribbled back to make a play. Tremendous hands, balance and the ability to get back to the t rim - another view of who he's becoming. Something similar on one of Jalen's passes ahead where he caught a tough one, stopped strong and ball faked for a lay in but a guard flipped it out on his way up. Still some athleticism we really haven't seen. If this kid does all the work in the summer, the weights to strengthen up what is already a solid frame and continue to work on the feet, shooting a bunch of 10-12 footers we may have something we weren't expecting before 2019.

Fun to see the improvemend, Polley too. I mean after his 5-6 gamer stretch where he struggled shooting the ball he's been on fire from deep. But may favorite today was the up fake from the 3, let his guy slide bu and took 2 dribble is for a 15 footer which hit nothing but twine. And his defense on the big kid on the block moved his feet followed the kids spin hands straight up and blocked his shot. His defense has slowing improved and he's long with work can be a huge factor on D. Strength over the summer is huge for him to keep moving levels.

Loved the enthusiasm they played with, Jalen was a huge factor he had a jump to his step today and made everyone else the same. They had fun, hope they have even more a lot next year.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score

25 and 11 against Vandy
23 and 19 against Wagner
21 and 17 against Texas

Yeah, but there’s no need to ruin a rare feel good moment by providing actual facts.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

25 and 11 against Vandy
23 and 19 against Wagner
21 and 17 against Texas

And about a jillion more blocks, too. But heck, he was Emeka Okafor, and ain't nobody else before or since been quite like him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom