Jordan Hawkins has breakout potential | The Boneyard

Jordan Hawkins has breakout potential

Reaction Score
A clear breakout of epic portions is not required although would be accepted no doubt. But he needs to jump a level or 2 in impact on both ends for us to be a player for the top of the Big East. I think he has that in him if he stays healthy, will be fun to watch.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
hawk GIF

Reaction Score
Should be able to get to his spots and to the hoop/in traffic with the strength/muscle he's added this off season. Can be more aggressive on O and hold his own on D.. Jumper has always been money.

Reaction Score
I think two things have to happen for Hawkins to truly breakout with 15 ppg or more.

1) he has to keep things fairly simple in that he has some very specific moves in which he is confident in and doesn't try to force the action outside his comfort zone.
2) Jackson has to be a threat either from three, driving to the hoop or both.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A clear breakout of epic portions is not required although would be accepted no doubt.
We don't need epic proportions, but a breakout from someone is needed to get us over the hump. Hawkins can be that guy but is he shooting 500 shots a day? I would love for it to be so but I don't see that edge from him that we've seen from others here who ended up being The Guy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We don't need epic proportions, but a breakout from someone is needed to get us over the hump. Hawkins can be that guy but is he shooting 500 shots a day? I would love for it to be so but I don't see that edge from him that we've seen from others here who ended up being The Guy.

Hearing a player talk about 500 shots a day in the gym is like hearing someone tell the popo they only had 2 beers. It's just a standard throwaway number.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hearing a player talk about 500 shots a day in the gym is like hearing someone tell the popo they only had 2 beers. It's just a standard throwaway number.
Is he putting the time in, then.

Reaction Score
I think two things have to happen for Hawkins to truly breakout with 15 ppg or more.

1) he has to keep things fairly simple in that he has some very specific moves in which he is confident in and doesn't try to force the action outside his comfort zone.

I also thought he should work on his handle over the summer. If he adds that, it opens up the court for him on the O side.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He will probably be very good. We might want to remember that "break out" isn't anything different than what we all already expected from him. Nationally, not many people have heard of him, so if he's our 2nd leading scorer and somebody teams must focus on, that's breaking out.

Reaction Score

He has at least one move pretty well down, his closeout attack from the left wing, which he uses for either layup, dish, or midrange pull-up. He sometimes pump fakes or jabs hard left then explodes right past the closeout. That's the play he used for that monster yam against Georgetown. Watching TCF's highlight video, you see that specific move pop up a lot. Sometimes it starts with a PG-Adama PnR where Adama's roll sucks his man further into the paint and Hawkins drifts higher up the wing, which forces a hard closeout, which he blows by. Or he sets up on the block and Adama sets a pindown instead of rolling to the basket.

This is one of the better examples:

Adama pindown
UConn Highlights: Jordan Hawkins - Freshman Season (2021-2022)

Also off kickouts

Defense in rotation

In transition.

This one finishing over future NBA star Jabari Smith is similar, but he dribbles into it instead of being stationary on the wing.

Did it from the corner too. This is a good example of his shot fake. He shifts his weight to center and coils like a snake which gets defender to bite on a potential shot before exploding with the first step. Powerful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
imo one of the only things missing from Hawkins game is confidence. There were some serious defensive issues last year but he made great progress throughout the year, and judging from off-season info it seems like he bulked up and got stronger. So he’ll only get better defensively, and also will help finishing in the paint.

This is just from what I remember watching the games, but I’d say a good chunk of his misses or frustrating moments were because he rushed into a shot and missed or because he got the ball, panicked, and just gave it away. If he maintains his confidence then I think those problems mostly go away on their own.

(yes I’m a hardcore Hawkins stan)

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score

These are both great points, especially 1. Rather than worry about expanding his bag, focus on 2 or 3 go to bucket getter moves.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
He has at least one move pretty well down, his closeout attack from the left wing, which he uses for either layup, dish, or midrange pull-up. He sometimes pump fakes or jabs hard left then explodes right past the closeout. That's the play he used for that monster yam against Georgetown. Watching TCF's highlight video, you see that specific move pop up a lot. Sometimes it starts with a PG-Adama PnR where Adama's roll sucks his man further into the paint and Hawkins drifts higher up the wing, which forces a hard closeout, which he blows by. Or he sets up on the block and Adama sets a pindown instead of rolling to the basket.

This is one of the better examples:

Adama pindown

Also off kickouts

Defense in rotation

In transition.

This one finishing over future NBA star Jabari Smith is similar, but he dribbles into it instead of being stationary on the wing.

Did it from the corner too. This is a good example of his shot fake. He shifts his weight to center and coils like a snake which gets defender to bite on a potential shot before exploding with the first step. Powerful.

Great post…this is the kind of content that makes the Boneyard an awesome community. You’re a real one, @auror !

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
These are both great points, especially 1. Rather than worry about expanding his bag, focus on 2 or 3 go to bucket getter moves.
I agree. Lock down a couple of moves then build your game off of those.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If Hawk stays healthy and his teammates find him Hawk will soar. He is that good. Believe me.

J Roberts at U Houston is also the real deal. Sampson finds these gems

Reaction Score
I also thought he should work on his handle over the summer. If he adds that, it opens up the court for him on the O side.

100%. He had terrible handles for a rotation player. Might have been the worst I’ve ever seen. I like the hype but he was unwatchable at times. He needs a BIG jump imo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom