Jordan Hawkins has breakout potential | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jordan Hawkins has breakout potential

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
100%. He had terrible handles for a rotation player. Might have been the worst I’ve ever seen. I like the hype but he was unwatchable at times. He needs a BIG jump imo
Awkward Cricket GIF

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Not sure if posted yet - Article on ESPN+ mentions Hawkins: Take two: These players could have a breakout 2022-23 season

Hawkins entered his freshman season with positive offseason buzz, until multiple injuries led to an uneven campaign in Storrs. When healthy, though, he showed the scoring ability that made him an ESPN 100 recruit. He scored 16 points in 15 minutes in the third game of his college career -- a win over Auburn in the Bahamas. He also had three double-figure scoring games off the bench in Big East play. With some key veterans departing, Hawkins will take on a go-to scoring role for Dan Hurley, so expect a big increase from his 5.8 PPG from last season.

What we're hearing: "He's got some of the best footwork in college basketball. How he comes off screens, the quickness of his release. He doesn't need much room. Just get him the ball and he'll figure it out. I love him. He's [UConn's] best prospect. Last year I think it was a combination of his injuries, Tyrese Martin playing a lot at the 3 and then Andre Jackson emerging. I think he's a fringe first-rounder. I think his ceiling is the second-best NBA prospect in the league behind Cam Whitmore. The way he comes off screens is NBA-caliber. He has elite shot-making and 3-point shooting in his skill set." -- NBA scout

Reaction Score
Not sure if posted yet - Article on ESPN+ mentions Hawkins: Take two: These players could have a breakout 2022-23 season

Hawkins entered his freshman season with positive offseason buzz, until multiple injuries led to an uneven campaign in Storrs. When healthy, though, he showed the scoring ability that made him an ESPN 100 recruit. He scored 16 points in 15 minutes in the third game of his college career -- a win over Auburn in the Bahamas. He also had three double-figure scoring games off the bench in Big East play. With some key veterans departing, Hawkins will take on a go-to scoring role for Dan Hurley, so expect a big increase from his 5.8 PPG from last season.

What we're hearing: "He's got some of the best footwork in college basketball. How he comes off screens, the quickness of his release. He doesn't need much room. Just get him the ball and he'll figure it out. I love him. He's [UConn's] best prospect. Last year I think it was a combination of his injuries, Tyrese Martin playing a lot at the 3 and then Andre Jackson emerging. I think he's a fringe first-rounder. I think his ceiling is the second-best NBA prospect in the league behind Cam Whitmore. The way he comes off screens is NBA-caliber. He has elite shot-making and 3-point shooting in his skill set." -- NBA scout
Thanks for article.. Footwork off of screens reminds me of another prolific three-point shooter from UConn who was pretty successful in NBA-- Ray

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Thanks for article.. Footwork off of screens reminds me of another prolific three-point shooter from UConn who was pretty successful in NBA-- Ray
I’ve been one his biggest fans, especially since seeing him in the Bahamas. Here’s hoping that his handle has continued to improve. His defense definitely improved last season, and I hope that continues, too.

Reaction Score
Would love to see the home announcers come up with a hawk screech every time he hits a big shot..... nothing to see here.

That'd be hilarious. I've seen the yard busy coming up with nicknames for Jax and Hawkins specifically and I sure hope they have the year that a nickname deserves. It'll always remind me of NJ NETS games back when they played in Brendan Byrne, and the team being so devoid of stars that the only player they had a P.A. tag for was Arman "Hammer"Gilliam. Every time he scored (which was rarely) audio of MCHammer saying "stop, Hammer time" would embarrassingly echo off the mezzanine of a nearly empty arena. Just sad

Reaction Score

Thought this was interesting in that article:

A year ago at this time, Iowa's Keegan Murray was coming off a freshman season in which he started four games and averaged 7.2 points. Wisconsin's Johnny Davis hadn't started a single game in his first year, averaging 7.0 points. Both players finished 2021-22 as All-Americans and top-10 NBA draft picks.

Tari Eason went from averaging 7.3 points on a middling Cincinnati team to 16.9 points on a 22-win LSU team and ended up a top-20 pick. Alondes Williams put up 6.7 points at Oklahoma two seasons ago; last year, he averaged 18.5 points and was ACC Player of the Year at Wake Forest.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Tyrese averaged 14 last year. Hawkins is a much more talented all around scorer and should have players a lot more capable to get him good looks. Just to put this in perspective a bit.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
This will be a huge year for him. He’s either going to take the next step and stand out or lose minutes to other shooters which UCONN finally has. I’d like to see him have a little more energy. I’m must excited to see was Jackson does this year- I still think he’s the most exciting player in the NCAA right now!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
For those of us who have been following AH since his early HS days, we all know he is not an expressive player who is into showboating or being grossly emotional. He will, if healthy, play as CP3 has said, beyond his years offensively. He did improve defensively in the 2nd half of last season and here's hoping that continues to grow. No cheap fouls.
I see him as a fringe lottery pick at worse if he performs to his ability. He needs to shoot at least 12-15 shots per game and touch the ball on at least 60% of the Husky offensive possessions.
He is an immense talent.

Reaction Score
For those of us who have been following AH since his early HS days, we all know he is not an expressive player who is into showboating or being grossly emotional. He will, if healthy, play as CP3 has said, beyond his years offensively. He did improve defensively in the 2nd half of last season and here's hoping that continues to grow. No cheap fouls.
I see him as a fringe lottery pick at worse if he performs to his ability. He needs to shoot at least 12-15 shots per game and touch the ball on at least 60% of the Husky offensive possessions.
He is an immense talent.
Andrew Hurley is going to be a fringe lottery pick? Someone better tell his father so he plays him! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom