Jon Wilner: Big East Pressuring Boise State To Take WVU's Place In 2012 | The Boneyard

Jon Wilner: Big East Pressuring Boise State To Take WVU's Place In 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
That would have the Broncos coming to East Hartford.

Reaction Score
That would have the Broncos coming to East Hartford.

If they can make this happen it would be great. The stipulation should be that WVU and the Big 12 pay for Boise to get out of the MWC for next season.

Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/#!/wilnerhotline

Also says Air Force is likely to join at some point. If true, I'd guess in 2015 with Navy but I guess it could be even sooner if the MWC and CUSA dissolve in order to merge. If those two leagues do actually dissolve I think there is a chance that all of the new schools would be in for next year. Why would they rejoin the merged league just to play in it for one year?

Reaction Score
I'd be fine with that. Takes care of the scheduling issue and allows WVU to go, presumably for additional $$.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Well look at it this way....if by some ridiculous ruling the court rules that WVU can leave the Big East immediately and pay damages....then they have set precedent going forward.

The damages for leaving the Big East have to be much larger than the damages for leaving the MWC (since the payout is larger in the BE vs MWC). So if WVU leaves (with damages paid to the Big East) and Boise St leaves the MWC (with the Big East paying the MWC damages), then the Big East actually makes money in the deal. I would trade WVU for Boise St + $10MM any day of the week!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If....WVU....leaves....then...Cuse... and... Pitt... leave. Is Boise going to play everyone else three time? The Big East is going to the mat for 2012. WVU better get used to the idea. Everyone can buy there way out in 2013.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
If....WVU....leaves....then...Cuse... and... Pitt... leave

Not true. The ACC has not planned for Cuse and Pitt to join in 2012. It is too late in the game now to completely reshuffle schedules/etc for the ACC. No matter what happens with WVU, SyaraPitt is going to be in the Big East for 2012. 2013 may be a different issue, but no matter what happens, SyraPitt will be in the BE this year.

Reaction Score
Would be ideal if the B9, BE, and MWC were speaking about some type of "compromise" which is predominantly beneficial to the MWC and the BE, but gets WVU to the B9 in 2012:
- WVU pays an escalated exit fee (much greater than the regular exit fee) to the BE.
- WVU/B9 pays BSU's early exit fee to the MWC.
- The B9 schools agree to cover all games on the MWC 2012 schedules being vacated by BSU's early departure. (just plug in a B9 school where Bosie was supposed to be, and if the B9 has to reshuffle their conference schedule, drop an OOC game, so be it. How bad do you want WVU in 2012?).

Everyone is happy.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
memphis 2012 rumors...

That doesn't make any sense. If we can't get UCF, Houston and SMU to leave CUSA for the BE in 2012, why would Memphis be able to? Sounds like a Memphis person trying to lobby for Memphis yet again. Better not happen!

Reaction Score
That doesn't make any sense. If we can't get UCF, Houston and SMU to leave CUSA for the BE in 2012, why would Memphis be able to? Sounds like a Memphis person trying to lobby for Memphis yet again. Better not happen!

FedEx money?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Anytime you can get one of the worst teams in the country in your league immediately, how can you pass that up? Sure they weren't impressive enough to garner an invite over SMU - but that doesn't mean I don't want them yesterday!

Reaction Score
But it's never too late for WV to make the switch.

One school operates with morals and respect for contracts; the other wears gold uniforms.

Bleacher Report is speculating UCF moves to fill the void - less costly, and they have been adamant they wanted ion to the BE from the get-go.

WV taxpayers either have a lot of money to spend - BE exit fee, legal fees, FSU cancellation, etc - or they'll be cutting programs quicker like MD.

Reaction Score
I am happy to see they moved up a few spots.

West Virginia, already with a pending lawsuit against the Big East, may have more litigation on its hands. Florida State athletic director Randy Spetman on Saturday said that the university in the coming months may be forced to proceed with litigation against West Virginia if the Seminoles are unable to find a suitable replacement for the now-cancelled Sept. 8 football game between the two schools. On Saturday morning, Spetman announced, through a statement, that the contest would not be played because the Mountaineers were backing out. As West Virginia prepares for a move from the Big East Conference to the Big-12, the game didn't appear to fit in what would be its new schedule.
Orlando Sentinel

Read more: http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/323104-fsu-forced-to-sue-west-virginia?sct=cf_t2_a8&eref=fromSI&eref=fromSI#ixzz1lhSDMoDg

Reaction Score
https://twitter.com/adamzagoria

Adam Zagoria of zagsblog.com tweeted about an hour ago that Memphis to Big East rumors have legs. I think it would be a good addition to at least put some basketball luster onto this round of expansion. I also would like UNLV or Temple thrown in there as well so that the BE can get to 12 FB members even before Navy and possibly join.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Ugh. More motivation for RU and UConn to #BegHarder.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We need to get out of this conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads