Johnson out indefinitely | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Johnson out indefinitely

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought his defense was bad and his hands were bad.

You've been fangirling for Johnson for a year now. Karaban looks like a far better player to me and is our starter, you'll see how injuries impact who starts. Samson has nice upside but Karaban is just a better player.
I thought his defense in the 2nd half was better than AKs. Alex got taken to the hole with some regularity. Had trouble staying in front of guys. Hurley's comments suggested as much. He's a super polished offensive player, very heady. Doesn't rebound or defend as well as Johnson.

We should all be thrilled we have both of them. Before the SJ injury announcement, I expected them to play together quite a bit until Jackson returns. We will need them both this year to get through the grind against good teams.

Reaction Score
Reading the way people extract definitive meaning out of ambiguous quotes and shape it to fit their preconceived notions about players/coaches (whether "right" or "wrong") is one of my favorite things about the boneyard. This thread is chock-full of entertainment.

Love you crazy BYers!

Reaction Score
I thought his defense was bad and his hands were bad.

You've been fangirling for Johnson for a year now. Karaban looks like a far better player to me and is our starter, you'll see how injuries impact who starts. Samson has nice upside but Karaban is just a better player.
To be fair, this board has been fangirling hard for Clingan (duh) and Karaban for awhile now, to the point where it's actually nice to hear some levelheaded takes on who should start at the 4.

I think it's ridiculous to say that Karaban is "just a better player" after two games against bad opponents.

Karaban is a good player who will be a great player for us, but we'll see how well he holds up when BE play starts. Johnson is rough around the edges - is it something he can polish when he comes back from injury or will this end up being a lost year? Lot of unknowns. If Hawk and AJax are back and healthy a lot of the scoring burden should be lifted off of the 4 spot.

Reaction Score
To be fair, this board has been fangirling hard for Clingan (duh) and Karaban for awhile now, to the point where it's actually nice to hear some levelheaded takes on who should start at the 4.

I think it's ridiculous to say that Karaban is "just a better player" after two games against bad opponents.

Karaban is a good player who will be a great player for us, but we'll see how well he holds up when BE play starts. Johnson is rough around the edges - is it something he can polish when he comes back from injury or will this end up being a lost year? Lot of unknowns. If Hawk and AJax are back and healthy a lot of the scoring burden should be lifted off of the 4 spot.
It seems like most on the board thought Clingan was a project who wouldn't have much impact this season and would be inpactful in future seasons. We even had at least one poster say he wasn't good enough to play at UConn.

You're entitled to your opinion on Karaban and Johnson.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
It can. Taken literally it means "there is no time frame for return." Such a construct is consistent with both of the following:
1. There is a timeframe, but the organization or individual declines to disclose it.
2. There is no timeframe at the time of the announcement, but a decision will follow and 'indefinitely' can be either short or long once that decision is reached.
ISTR a player suspension for an indefinite period in the not too distant 'olden days', that turned out to be for one game, once it was "defined".

Reaction Score
1668537829193.jpeg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It seems like most on the board thought Clingan was a project who wouldn't have much impact this season and would be inpactful in future seasons. We even had at least one poster say he wasn't good enough to play at UConn.

You're entitled to your opinion on Karaban and Johnson.
I expected him to be a project, mostly because I wasn't sure Hurley would adapt, at least until Sanogo left. But to Donovan's credit, he's improved his athleticism and quickness and to Hurley's credit he has recognized he has a fairly unique player, and he has adapted his defensive system to accommodate him. I don't think it's a stretch to say that if you asked Clingan to do what Whaley did as a 5, it would not have gone well. It often didn't go well for Sanogo, and yet Dan stuck with it.

For all the really interesting and exciting players on this team, and coming in next year, the single biggest positive I've seen is Hurley moving away from the (too often) square peg round hole approach to things. It's the best way to maximize some of the unique talents we have. Hell, we ran a 2-3 zone in our very first game (not for long). It wasn't even in the toolbox before.

Reaction Score
Long time reader, first time poster. At the end of the day, Samson has played a career 83 minutes with this being his second year on the team. Karaban is already up to 53 minutes. Both of these guys are complete unknowns in terms of what they will bring to the table for big east play. The PF position is completely up for grabs. That being said, if I had to make a guess, the highly touted freshman who got more minutes in each of his first two games than Samson has ever got in a game is likely the guy they are planning around being the starter. Still, an injury is an injury, and building Samson's confidence in these November games in preparation for conference play was likely a crucial part of the PF gameplan. Hopefully he isn't out too long

Reaction Score
We’ll need Samson for rim protection alone once we play better comp. Sanogo and AK leave a lot to be desired as rim protectors. Clingan fits the bill but he’s a freshman and will have some struggles at some point. SJ is significant loss. And to reach our ceiling we need him

Reaction Score
Long time reader, first time poster. At the end of the day, Samson has played a career 83 minutes with this being his second year on the team. Karaban is already up to 53 minutes. Both of these guys are complete unknowns in terms of what they will bring to the table for big east play. The PF position is completely up for grabs. That being said, if I had to make a guess, the highly touted freshman who got more minutes in each of his first two games than Samson has ever got in a game is likely the guy they are planning around being the starter. Still, an injury is an injury, and building Samson's confidence in these November games in preparation for conference play was likely a crucial part of the PF gameplan. Hopefully he isn't out too long

My man, give yourself some credit. You've posted 124x in 4 years. That ain't nothin'--you're a yarder.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
And a liar, 123 times a liar to be exact
a little quick on the trigger there, yosemite?
have u considered that one might have meant 'on the mbb board?'
there are lots of threads around here aboot fun and successful teams, like, wbb, football, hockey, baseball, ....

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
a little quick on the trigger there, yosemite?
have u considered that one might have meant 'on the mbb board?'
there are lots of threads around here aboot fun and successful teams, like, wbb, football, hockey, baseball, ....
It was sarcasm Spliffy

Reaction Score
Hey Jon, how can you average something when the sample size is one?
Lol

This is unfortunate. He needed the cupcake games since he didn’t get any PT last season. I have a feeling the rotation could be set already by the time he comes back.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Averaged 7 PPG and 3 RPG in one game this season.'
taken at face value, 'averaged?'
Algebra: Average. An average is a way to compute, from a group of numbers, what would a "typical" number be. Normally, average (Arithmetic mean) is computed as the sum of numbers, divided by their quantity.

one is not 'a group of numbers.' there is no 'sum of numbers,
and there is no 'quantity' of numbers in the divisor.

math is our friend. this guy has no friends.

just noticed that qdogs had it first. props.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Averaged 7 PPG and 3 RPG in one game this season.'
taken at face value, 'averaged?'
Algebra: Average. An average is a way to compute, from a group of numbers, what would a "typical" number be. Normally, average (Arithmetic mean) is computed as the sum of numbers, divided by their quantity.

one is not 'a group of numbers.' there is no 'sum of numbers,
and there is no 'quantity' of numbers in the divisor.

math is our friend. this guy has no friends.

just noticed that qdogs had it first. props.
hey! stinky red thumb poster person!
u may want to consider why u have 'not a dime.'
mebbe math is not ur friend? here, have a dime quarter. it's the season for giving.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lol

This is unfortunate. He needed the cupcake games since he didn’t get any PT last season. I have a feeling the rotation could be set already by the time he comes back.
Yes but getting back in early December is still great news.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom