Johnnie Bird's Book? | The Boneyard

Johnnie Bird's Book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It could be but I'm not reading it. No offense meant but as a former athlete I never aspired or wanted to know what its like to be a walk-on.

Reaction Score
It's really hard to get a sense of the tone of the book from this interview. On one hand the term "second class citizen" is getting thrown around, on the other he's basically saying it was a coming of age experience.

I'm confused if he fondly or bitterly reflects on his time here.

Reaction Score
Just because of what I see as his take on being a walk-on, wouldn't even consider throwing any money his way. We all know, and they do to, what the wall on life is about and just to let Johnny know it was never about him. Kind of douchey.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Just because of what I see as his take on being a walk-on, wouldn't even consider throwing any money his way. We all know, and they do to, what the wall on life is about and just to let Johnny know it was never about him. Kind of douchey.

I got to be on one of the preeminent college basketball teams in America, go to practices from a hall of fame coach, go to tournaments and games all over America and abroad, but I wasn't appreciated enough as a walk on.

News flash Birdman, there's hundreds of guys on campus that would likely take the above and just shut up.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I got to be on one of the preeminent college basketball teams in America, go to practices from a hall of fame coach, go to tournaments and games all over America and abroad, but I wasn't appreciated enough as a walk on.

News flash Birdman, there's hundreds of guys on campus that would likely take the above and just shut up.

Hell I'd do it now if it meant I could actually be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Did I read a different interview than everyone else?

What was so bad about it?

Probably the fact that instead of the headline focusing on the angle of "being a walk on takes a lot of perseverance," it makes it sound like he's saying "UConn scholarship players treated me like s***." He of course says the opposite of that in the actual interview.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Probably the fact that instead of the headline focusing on the angle of "being a walk on takes a lot of perseverance," it makes it sound like he's saying "UConn scholarship players treated me like s***." He of course says the opposite of that in the actual interview.

Yup.

If you read the questions and not the answers, you get a good sense of what the interviewer wanted to get out of the interview.

That he/she failed to get it speaks to how well Bird seems to regard the experience.

Reaction Score
This guy already did this

http://clubtrillion.blogspot.com/

I loved his book. From the sound of Bird's book, though, it seems like he took a completely different approach to the position and I'm guessing he'll write it accordingly. I'd definitely be interested in reading it if it provides any insight into what goes on at UConn behind the scenes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yup.

If you read the questions and not the answers, you get a good sense of what the interviewer wanted to get out of the interview.

That he/she failed to get it speaks to how well Bird seems to regard the experience.

I don't think the interviewer asked many leading questions that tried to elicit an answer one way or another.

Asking if someone is bitter after they just talked about themselves being treated as a second class citizen is a reasonable follow up.

All the other questions were very benign.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
When a book like this comes out you have to let out a sigh of relief if the biggest reveal is that some of the players and coaches were jerks. It could be a lot worse.

If I had to guess the life of a walk on isn't very easy. Sounds like an interesting read.

Reaction Score
Did I read a different interview than everyone else?

What was so bad about it?

This.....

....is 20 times douchier than anything Bird said.
Man am I glad you said that. No need to bash him or his book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom