John Silver killed it on Twitter today | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John Silver killed it on Twitter today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Des went all in on the "the players aren't good enough" line and that PP and GDL were recruiting higher caliber "prototype" players.

That and the fawning over Tebucky Jones, Jr. cost him credibility as a reporter.

The sky is blue, and Des, Ed D and Silver were telling us it was red. You can't do that and still maintain credibility.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Des has no credibility.

Wrong on nearly everything and seeing him meltdown when someone disagrees with him on Twitter is priceless too.

Also, the guy is entitled to his opinion but as a UConn beat reporter is it really necessary for him to retweet all his Syracuse garbage?

How the courant doesn't see this and doesn't give the job to a younger, hungrier and just overall better reporter like duffy is curious.

Reaction Score
This board is way, way too hard on Dez. He gets no breaks here. Silver was as much an empty cupboard soundboard as Dez.

I like both guys. Ed D, well I don't know what to say about that. Sports should probably just be his hobby. J/K.

I'll say it once again. Lyle was not injured for the Temple game, the game after his mini suspension. Warde stepped in and sat Lyle out for the game.

I was in a full blown hatred mode for PP so I gave Des the scoop and my source on the matter, which he knew was solid, and told him off the record and said could you do your own research and confirm what I am telling you.

His reply back to me was...OK (my name)

Never heard a word about it.

Probably because I told Des I wanted to embarrass PP with the info (that Warde had stepped in and suspended Lyle for an extra game) and Des wanted no part of embarrassing his butt boy.

I've known Des for a while, and he is a good decent man, but when it comes to reporting........

Reaction Score
Silver brings up an interesting point about attendance but it's about disposable income more than anything. Sure, the product on the football field is a big issue but also the fact that UConn can't seem to tap the Fairfield County market more plays a big part in why less than 20k show up in a 40k stadium. Playing in NYC will not put butts in seats in E. Hartford. Top 25 ranked UConn vs top 25 ranked anyone...AT THE RENT.. is about the only way your going to improve the attendance issue with the ever dwindling entertainment dollar figured in.

Reaction Score
Silver brings up an interesting point about attendance but it's about disposable income more than anything. Sure, the product on the football field is a big issue but also the fact that UConn can't seem to tap the Fairfield County market more plays a big part in why less than 20k show up in a 40k stadium. Playing in NYC will not put butts in seats in E. Hartford. Top 25 ranked UConn vs top 25 ranked anyone...AT THE RENT.. is about the only way your going to improve the attendance issue with the ever dwindling entertainment dollar figured in.

We had no problem filling it before when the program was winning. 3 seasons of Coach Blue losing games and an anemic offense has taken a toll. Quit deflecting blame away from your guy.

Reaction Score
We had no problem filling it before when the program was winning. 3 seasons of Coach Blue losing games and an anemic offense has taken a toll. Quit deflecting blame away from your guy.

Actually our attendance was dropping even while we were winning. Attendance for our "dream season" was lower than in previous years.

Reaction Score
UConn certainly tapped into Fairfield County plenty well. You know the basketball game at Harbour Yard in Bridgeport against Eastern Washington is almost sold out?

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Silver said the attendance started dropping in 2008... he was implying that it wasn't only the product, but also the economy and that CT still hasn't quite recovered.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

You're both correct. The novelty of Div 1A football in Southern New England started to wane around 2007. Combine that with the Great Recession and the immergence of wide format TV and High Definition increased the quality of the at home experience. Come 2011 and 2012, the quality of entertainment on the field drove more and more people (who actually attend) to the exits earlier.

Reaction Score
Actually our attendance was dropping even while we were winning. Attendance for our "dream season" was lower than in previous years.

2007 or the Fiesta Bowl year? 2007 was a better season to me, we were winning had loads of offense and the place was packed. Even for the Louisville game in the rain.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Attendance is about perceived value. Do you as an individual perceive that buying tickets and attending games is worth the time, money, and effort you would put into it.

The reasons to go or not go are as varied and the multi colored rain gear at the rent. The bottom line is the program is providing less value than it did 6 years ago.

Michigan - increased value
Memphis with a 2-9 record - less value

The solution, more wins, better opponents, better pre/in/post-game experience.

You'll notice I omitted pricing. In the CFB world, we are priced competitively. Lowering prices won't bring a noticeable increase in attendance. How do I know? The Colonials had $5 tickets.

Reaction Score
Attendance is about perceived value. Do you as an individual perceive that buying tickets and attending games is worth the time, money, and effort you would put into it.

The reasons to go or not go are as varied and the multi colored rain gear at the rent. The bottom line is the program is providing less value than it did 6 years ago.

Michigan - increased value
Memphis with a 2-9 record - less value

The solution, more wins, better opponents, better pre/in/post-game experience.

You'll notice I omitted pricing. In the CFB world, we are priced competitively. Lowering prices won't bring a noticeable increase in attendance. How do I know? The Colonials had $5 tickets.

One thing that clouds the issue, even though UConn was winning during some of those good years, some of those years we were pretty inept offensively. Watching UConn was like getting kicked in the nuts every week. The Fiesta bowl year was difficult because we had some terrible losses. It wasn't much of a positive experience to the mainstream fan.

Reaction Score
WTF is your problem? If I said it once I said it 10 times that I support the team and whatever staff the school decides to hire. I supported Edsall till he bailed, I supported Coach P till he got fired and I support Weist till the next guy comes along. I know reading comprehension is a real challenge for you but please work on it.

Reaction Score
UConn certainly tapped into Fairfield County plenty well. You know the basketball game at Harbour Yard in Bridgeport against Eastern Washington is almost sold out?
Didn't know UConn could play football at Harbor Yard. There were what...20K empty seats at the last home game and there are what...about 1.5 to 2 million folks in Fairfield County? From Bridgeport it's faster to get to E. Hartford than to NYC. Same with Danbury. Seems to me that market could be tapped better.

Reaction Score
WTF is your problem? If I said it once I said it 10 times that I support the team and whatever staff the school decides to hire. I supported Edsall till he bailed, I supported Coach P till he got fired and I support Weist till the next guy comes along. I know reading comprehension is a real challenge for you but please work on it.

You and every other fan and media member that breathed life into the PGDL regime are my problem. You are lower than Rutgers fan.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Didn't know UConn could play football at Harbor Yard. There were what...20K empty seats at the last home game and there are what...about 1.5 to 2 million folks in Fairfield County? From Bridgeport it's faster to get to E. Hartford than to NYC. Same with Danbury. Seems to me that market could be tapped better.

The stadium being half full for the last game of the year means that the value of the product was not worth the cost. I'm not talking about the cost of the game. I'm talking about the entire package. Ultimately, two records fell and the game itself was very entertaining. But as of 7:00 on Friday night, two teams with a combined 5 wins were going to play in early December in sub-freezing temperatures with no post season play on the table for either team. On top of that, the time and effort to bundle up and drive up to E. Hartford (and back) plus gas money, plus tailgating supplies, food and drink.

A live sporting event is an all day affair nowadays and can cost $100+ per person when all is said and done. Nothing occurred in the first 2 months of this season or for the last 3 years to warrant an investment like that from a casual fan. I'd venture a guess that only the season and mini plan package tickets were used on Saturday. Those tickets were already paid for, so they might as well be used.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The stadium being half full for the last game of the year means that the value of the product was not worth the cost. I'm not talking about the cost of the game. I'm talking about the entire package. Ultimately, two records fell and the game itself was very entertaining. But as of 7:00 on Friday night, two teams with a combined 5 wins were going to play in early December in sub-freezing temperatures with no post season play on the table for either team. On top of that, the time and effort to bundle up and drive up to E. Hartford (and back) plus gas money, plus tailgating supplies, food and drink.

A live sporting event is an all day affair nowadays and can cost $100+ per person when all is said and done. Nothing occurred in the first 2 months of this season or for the last 3 years to warrant an investment like that from a casual fan. I'd venture a guess that only the season and mini plan package tickets were used on Saturday. Those tickets were already paid for, so they might as well be used.

That's pretty much it. But one factor nobody mentions in the overall decline in attendance across all sports, including some pathetic showing at UConn basketball games, is HDTV. Attending cold weather football games loses some appeal when you can watch on a huge HDTV, with cheaper, better beer and better access to bathrooms. Basketball has similar problems, although weather usually isn't one (except as it affects driving on occassion). So you've got a huge cost, and the value of the live experience is relatively less than the value of the TV experience. It is easier for people to cut back on the live experience. I think ticket prices across sports need to come down. UConn hoops absolutely needs to shift students lower in the stadium, it is far overdue, revenue be damned.

Husky25

Reaction Score
That's pretty much it. But one factor nobody mentions in the overall decline in attendance across all sports, including some pathetic showing at UConn basketball games, is HDTV. Attending cold weather football games loses some appeal when you can watch on a huge HDTV, with cheaper, better beer and better access to bathrooms. Basketball has similar problems, although weather usually isn't one (except as it affects driving on occassion). So you've got a huge cost, and the value of the live experience is relatively less than the value of the TV experience. It is easier for people to cut back on the live experience. I think ticket prices across sports need to come down. UConn hoops absolutely needs to shift students lower in the stadium, it is far overdue, revenue be damned.

Basketball has a bigger problem. At least football has the allure of the tailgate. No such thing at a basketball game. The closest thing is an area restaurant that won't open until at least 11:00 (for a weekend noon or 1:00 game). Then you have to deal with only a few waitresses serving 236 other people (because the GM at Black Bear didn't schedule it out appropriately) at inflated prices. Secondly and as you said, the common fan and student is priced out of the lower bowl by no-show corporate donors. If I have to sit 1/2 way up the 200 level or behind the basket at the Civic Center, I may as well hold on to my $100 (gas, parking, pre-game drinks/apps, and ticket) for 5 games and purchase a 42" High Def TV that will last a minimum of 7 years. Then donate the $100/per game over the next 5 that I would have spent to the School of Business and increase the quality of education from where I obtained my degree.

Plus, the XL Center is a cut-rate venue. Bathrooms have a single door access, which means those washing hands are blocking others who need to use the facilities and don't even think about bringing an pre-potty trained child either. Nice family friendly environment...It's anchor tenants (i.e. those who pay rent) are a men's college basketball team (no salaries), college women's basketball team (no salaries), college hockey beginning next year (no salaries), and AHL team (Salaries are paid by the parent organization) and concessions are priced as if it were supporting a pro team. In fact the major tenants don't get a whiff of that money or a break on rent.

Thanks, but a majority of the time I'd pass as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You and every other fan and media member that breathed life into the PGDL regime are my problem. You are lower than Rutgers fan.

I'm not sure that your valiant desire to defacate on other fans is as honorable as you imagine it is. Do you also insult soldiers for saluting their commanding officers?

weyuo isn't responsible for PP. Hathaway was. And WM for keeping him. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at him. Blaming the media and the fans is a childish attempt to play the blame game. And it's poor.

You probably blame the weather guy for the snow, too.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that your valiant desire to defacate on other fans is as honorable as you imagine it is. Do you also insult soldiers for saluting their commanding officers?

weyuo isn't responsible for PP. Hathaway was. And WM for keeping him. If you want to be mad at someone, be mad at him. Blaming the media and the fans is a childish attempt to play the blame game. And it's poor.

You probably blame the weather guy for the snow, too.

Way to stick up for your people. And PGDL were not our commanding officers. I was mad at the dumb hire, disappointed that WM kept and pissed at the idiots in the media and the fans that kept apologizing for him.

As for this one individual he is still obviously bitter that we canned him. Which is ridiculous.

Reaction Score

Do you guys serve beer at your football games?

Husky25

Reaction Score
Do you guys serve beer at your football games?
yes. $9 for Macro Brew (Bud/Coors, Miller) and $10 for local, craft, or Microbrew. Beer is also served at the XL Center. It tastes funny though. Old pipes I suppose. None on campus at Gampel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom