John A's chat; update on Heather | The Boneyard

John A's chat; update on Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A is doing his weekly chat from Gampel where UConn is practicing in preparation for tomorrow's game. Here is what John just posted about Heather:

"I have arrived at Gampel Pavilion for this morning's practice prior to Thursday's game at Gampel Pavilion against Fairfield, which is 7-3 and is on a four-game winning streak.

Top news item: Heather Buck

According to a UConn spokesman, persistent swelling around the area of Buck's right wrist has made officially diagnosing the extent of her injury difficult.

The team is concerned about a particularly bone in the wrist, but has not been able to get a good look at it through xrays and an MRI because of the swelling.

While UConn waits for the particulars, Buck, who was injured in a fall at Baylor on Dec. 19 and did not play Dec. 22 at Charleston, has been practicing. She is out there again this morning and has been handling the ball.

But it's still unclear whether she will be allowed to play against Fairfield or how her status will change after its known what is wrong.

What seems clear is that Buck isn't in so much pain that she can't practice. So that is a good sign. And it is unlikely her treatment will be much different once the Huskies know what is wrong.

Still, there is much still to be determined."

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Hmmm. A mystery. Thanks for that post.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
John A is doing his weekly chat from Gampel where UConn is practicing in preparation for tomorrow's game. Here is what John just posted about Heather:

"I have arrived at Gampel Pavilion for this morning's practice prior to Thursday's game at Gampel Pavilion against Fairfield, which is 7-3 and is on a four-game winning streak.

Top news item: Heather Buck

According to a UConn spokesman, persistent swelling around the area of Buck's right wrist has made officially diagnosing the extent of her injury difficult.

The team is concerned about a particularly bone in the wrist, but has not been able to get a good look at it through xrays and an MRI because of the swelling.

While UConn waits for the particulars, Buck, who was injured in a fall at Baylor on Dec. 19 and did not play Dec. 22 at Charleston, has been practicing. She is out there again this morning and has been handling the ball.

But it's still unclear whether she will be allowed to play against Fairfield or how her status will change after its known what is wrong.

What seems clear is that Buck isn't in so much pain that she can't practice. So that is a good sign. And it is unlikely her treatment will be much different once the Huskies know what is wrong.

Still, there is much still to be determined."

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A just posted that Heather has been cleared to play tomorrow night. Still no definitive diagnosis (b/c of swelling) but the fact that she appears to be pain-free and has been practicing indicates it's okay for her to play.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's practicing? It's still murky, but the fact that she is practicing is fairly good news.

Ok, who would have thought in October, that the big news would be an injury to Heather? As I've written before, she is now an important contributor. Good for her!

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
That is a really weird report.

Heather's wrist is too swollen to see anything by x-ray or MRI. But the docs/trainers are still concerned about whatever bone it is they can't see.

Meanwhile Heather is "practicing" and "handling the ball". Does this mean scrimmaging? Or non-contact practice (no scrimmaging)?

The Baylor game was ten days ago -- and there is still a lot of swelling????????

And "whatever is wrong" the treatment will be the same???? I guess that means the only treatment is to reduce swelling.

There is more fog than light being released by the Medical staff. YUK.

And good luck to Heather.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Heather's wrist is too swollen to see anything by x-ray or MRI. But the docs/trainers are still concerned about whatever bone it is they can't see.

Meanwhile Heather is "practicing" and "handling the ball". Does this mean scrimmaging? Or non-contact practice (no scrimmaging)?

The Baylor game was ten days ago -- and there is still a lot of swelling????????

And "whatever is wrong" the treatment will be the same???? I guess that means the only treatment is to reduce swelling.

Weird, indeed. I thought the same thing. Too swollen, etc., but she was cleared to play. Inconsistent?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
TAnd "whatever is wrong" the treatment will be the same???? I guess that means the only treatment is to reduce swelling.
Certain bones can't be set and there wouldn't necessarily be any benefit to putting a cast on the entire wrist. She may wear a soft cast to protect her wrist; I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were the case but if Heather's relatively pain free she probably doesn't need more aggressive treatment.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
well cleared to play is great news indeed. for a player like Heather, my concern (but maybe the staff is not concerned) is that if she feels injured, she may go back to being more tentative - both she and Geno have said her issues are between her ears.

either way, i'm sure we all are keeping our fingers and toes crossed for her!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
well cleared to play is great news indeed. for a player like Heather, my concern (but maybe the staff is not concerned) is that if she feels injured, she may go back to being more tentative - both she and Geno have said her issues are between her ears.

either way, i'm sure we all are keeping our fingers and toes crossed for her!
You can cross your toes? :D

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Don't forget to cross your eyes and your heart, too. We need to pull it all out for Heather.

Reaction Score
She's practicing? It's still murky, but the fact that she is practicing is fairly good news.

Ok, who would have thought in October, that the big news would be an injury to Heather? As I've written before, she is now an important contributor. Good for her!

There were questions at the beginning of the season concerning who would be the surprise player and I answered Heather (with a combination of belief, hope and prayer.) Just think of how intimidating she will be with the cast. Suggestions as to how to decorate it- Blood Red?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There were questions at the beginning of the season concerning who would be the surprise player and I answered Heather (with a combination of belief, hope and prayer.) Just think of how intimidating she will be with the cast. Suggestions as to how to decorate it- Blood Red?
Blood red may be a problem due to the Magic Johnson rule.

However, I recall Carl Eller looking rather intimidating. I think he dipped it in water during a late season game, so he coiuld use it as an ice club back when the "head slap" was legal.

Heather, go intimidate someone!

CarlEller_display_image.jpg

Reaction Score

I agree. This injury has been quite mysterious and oddly reported on right from the beginning.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Blood red may be a problem due to the Magic Johnson rule.

However, I recall Carl Eller looking rather intimidating. I think he dipped it in water during a late season game, so he coiuld use it as an ice club back when the "head slap" was legal.

Heather, go intimidate someone!

CarlEller_display_image.jpg
Alan Page was the ringleader

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree. This injury has been quite mysterious and oddly reported on right from the beginning.
I don't know why you say it's "mysterious". The the team has been on the road, then there was nothing to say because no one really knows what the problem is. Or maybe it's because there are laws that protect a patient's privacy so that unauthorized people can't discuss Heather's medical issues without permission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom