John A. update on Heather | Page 2 | The Boneyard

John A. update on Heather

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
My original post has two different topics.

1) Players that were one time on the UConn's roster that could have helped UConn win last years National Championship. They are McCormick, EDD and Samarie. Obviously Smarie and EDD are not true post players but can fill the roll if necessary. If EDD was on the roster, then definitely UConn wins last years National Championship if she's healthy. No guarantee about Samarie and McCormick.

2) Then the last sentence is an observation that Geno hasn't had great success in recruiting post players as compared to other positions, which I still contend is true.

I did overlook Kelly Schumacher as a post player that did have success at UConn. She is best known as having 9 blocks against Tenn in the 2000 Championship game.
In the last 12 or so years, Geno has recruited Schuie, Tamika Wiliams, Ajsha Jones, Swin Cash, Jessica Moore, Tina Charles, Stef and Breanna. I would characterize all of them as college post players, and I can't think of any coach who has recruited post players better, or even as well. So I disagree strongly with your point #2.

Reaction Score
i did not know that some breaks won't show up for a few weeks. i guess the MRI will clear that up. still hoping it's on the lesser side, but yes, Kiah might need to be relied on much more going forward for next month or so...
When it was stated that Heather was not going to be getting any x rays
until after they got home.2 thoughts went through my mind 1 was obviousely it was ok 2 was why not just check it out,on the road, and further examination at home! Yes, it is true breaks,may not show up innitialy. The plans for an MRI indicate that the healing process for original diagnosis and treatment,has not gone as planned. It has caused concern to the extent of an MRI being ordered.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Looking ahead--IF it is a very long recovery--was Heather just under the limit for games to get another Redshirt year? I hate to ask, but someone was going to
She would need to petition the NCAA for a special exception to the rule that an athlete has 5 years in which to use their 4 years of scholarships. It does happen, though. If memory serves, Jamie Carey from Stanfor who transferred to Texas got a second redshirt year.

JS

Reaction Score
Looking ahead--IF it is a very long recovery--was Heather just under the limit for games to get another Redshirt year? I hate to ask, but someone was going to.
The single-season games limit is half the season, with all kinds of rules as to what games count in the numerator and denominator and what don't. In any event, Heather was injured in only the 10th game of this season (not counting exhibitions), which is well within the half-season limit to get a redshirt year.

The issue, as Nan points out, is that she's already had a redshirt year and therefore has a problem with a second rule known as the five-year rule (i.e. completing your permissible four seasons of competition within five years of enrolling at the school).

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The single-season games limit is half the season, with all kinds of rules as to what games count in the numerator and denominator and what don't. In any event, Heather was injured in only the 10th game of this season (not counting exhibitions), which is well within the half-season limit to get a redshirt year.

The issue, as Nan points out, is that she's already had a redshirt year and therefore has a problem with a second rule known as the five-year rule (i.e. completing your permissible four seasons of competition within five years of enrolling at the school).
If it's half the season as the limit, the rule must have changed fairly recently. I thought the limit was quite a bit lower, so much so that Heather would not be eligible.

JS

Reaction Score
If it's half the season as the limit, the rule must have changed fairly recently. I thought the limit was quite a bit lower, so much so that Heather would not be eligible.
You're right. What I'm describing is yet another rule -- one that provides the injury must occur during the first half of the season.

The percentage of season for games played rule might be 30 percent -- can't look it up right now -- but it's no higher than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom