John A.: Taurasi's plan was to rest after the Olympics | The Boneyard

John A.: Taurasi's plan was to rest after the Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"But when the WNBA season resumed, Taurasi sat out the first three games with various ailments, including wisdom teeth. And with Phoenix struggling to win, the decision to sit did not sit well with some pundits."

(Man up, John, you were one of the 'pundits' whining about it!!)

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So she had various health issues, including having wisdom teeth out, but the "pundits" had a problem with that? Then the only conclusion to draw from those comments is that the pundits are complete moronic idiots.

Better, I guess, that Diana play while injured so that she could risk an even worse injury because it's her obligation, apparently, to draw fans to the games. Complete horse$hit.

Reaction Score
Sorry ericsandiego......you missed the point. The point Diana was supposed to play while needing rest and medical care SO THE PUNDITS WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT - not to draw fans. ?do I need the /sarc tag?
(Actually I think they got their thing to write about)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Sorry ericsandiego......you missed the point. The point Diana was supposed to play while needing rest and medical care SO THE PUNDITS WOULD HAVE SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT - not to draw fans. ?do I need the /sarc tag?
(Actually I think they got their thing to write about)
ah thanks for clearing it up for me lol. your point makes much more sense than the sol called "experts"

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The real point should be that Taurasi is getting paid to play for Phoenix. An athlete that is injured is one thing. An athlete that won't play because they are tired is something else entirely. Especially with so many of the Phoenix players down with real injuries. If I were a Phoenix fan or the people paying her, I too would be unhappy.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The real point should be that Taurasi is getting paid to play for Phoenix. An athlete that is injured is one thing. An athlete that won't play because they are tired is something else entirely. Especially with so many of the Phoenix players down with real injuries. If I were a Phoenix fan or the people paying her, I too would be unhappy.

Of course that would be reasonable if it was the case BUT ITS NOT. Wisdom teeth can be an incredibly painful situation needing resolved. The media whiners should have done their research and found out the REAL situation before starting their WHINING.

Reaction Score
probably fans, not just pundits, were not happy with her not playing. but as is often the case with diana, instead of making comments that showed some understanding of why fans might be upset, she blurts out some smart-ass thing- "hey, i could care less what people think!" tact is one of the few four letter words that she's not familiar with.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If she needed rest and to have her wisdom teethe removed, why didn't she have her wisdom teeth removed while she was resting before the Olympics? That would have been "wise."

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If she needed rest and to have her wisdom teethe removed, why didn't she have her wisdom teeth removed while she was resting before the Olympics? That would have been "wise."

And you know when she knew she neede to have her wisdom teeth removed? Or weather this would "impact" her rehab?

Mary, one more contrary post. You are doing a great job.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
The issue should not be looked at in isolation.

Several of the Olympic stars returned in an emotionally and physically drained condition aggravated by the 12-month schedule they follow; required of them to make a reasonable living.

No, not a typical, American, middle-class living but a sports star's living.

I know that this issue has been dissected by this board many times in the past but an athlete like Diana, known for always giving her all, has to continually make decisions with regard prolonging her career.

And in thus case she has obviously made several, pre and post.

As far as I can determine, the negative response has been only by pundits and fans, not the management of the Mercury.

Woman's professional basketball reminds me a bit (at least financially) of the barnstorming days of professional tennis in the 60's with Jack Kramer, Pancho, a young Rod Laver, Rosewall et al; there was not much money to be made. But those who went on to the next era did just fine. I wish that much good fortune for this group of splendid athletes.

And I especially have hope of Ms Maya being the one who will lead to the proverbial promised land.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Hey boss! I'm gonna' take it easy for a while because I'm tired and I gotta' rest up for my other job.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Hey boss! I'm gonna' take it easy for a while because I'm tired and I gotta' rest up for my other job.

That is really how you look at this???

Coo coo, coo coo.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

a singer paces themselves when there are large or multiple gigs bunched together. Rest is so important to maintaining good voice. When I encounter these situations, I speak with the folks involved with these jobs so that I have their understanding when I have to mark, or pace myself.

I see no difference in what Diana is doing. I miss seeing Diana play (but have enjoyed Bonner's stepping up), but I understand.

Reaction Score
Eric,
you don't get it One-I guess.Phoenix needs the position in the draft in order to be competitive again, one. Two, Diana from day one has shown how she could play
with a bad back , bad ankles etc .in her senior year so her fortitude should never be questioned.Three- she did have a health issue after the olympics. give the kid a break with all this negat6ive Bs from her own site.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Eric,
you don't get it One-I guess.Phoenix needs the position in the draft in order to be competitive again, one. Two, Diana from day one has shown how she could play
with a bad back , bad ankles etc .in her senior year so her fortitude should never be questioned.Three- she did have a health issue after the olympics. give the kid a break with all this negat6ive Bs from her own site.

Note that playing with injury when you are 21 is miles different than playing with injury when you are at 30 and over. Ever wonder why there are very few older athletes in many/most contact sports? It takes a toll. Look at Diana's face when she got her gold medal - on it amongst other things was the realization that this might be her last olympics, all "I'll be in Rio" aside.

From

Kevin Nathan: Olympics Gold Makes Taurasi Reflect On Her Career

"Diana Taurasi is usually the life of the party, and there's plenty of reason to celebrate in London. Taurasi and five other former Huskies helped the U.S. win their fifth straight gold medal, 86-50, over France. But Taurasi was unusally reflective. Three gold medals, three national titles at UConn and Father Time will do that. So will playing for the father of UConn women's basketball at the Olympics.
After receiving her gold, Taurasi stared straight ahead and admitted she was thinking back on her career. She said she would love to try for another gold in Rio in 2016, but doesn't know what will happen between now and then.
An athlete realizing their own sports mortality can be painful and sad. This was just honest and real. Taurasi understands Olympic glory can't last forever."
So she is resting...so what? She helped win gold for the USA. She is arguably one of the greatest basketball players of all time. and she hasn't seen 21 for 9 years. She knows what she is capable of doing and what is needed to continue to play. What not respect this?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Are you the best in the world at what you do?

I may be. I like to think so anyway. I've been working at it for years. But, just like Taurasi, the point is arguable. That aside, I never signed a contract to perform and then decided I needed to rest.

If you can consider if it wasn't Taurasi, if it wasn't a UConn alum, if it wasn't a female, what would your response be to an athlete that couldn't play before the Olympics, miraculously recovered to play 100% in the Olympics and then was too tired and infirm to play after the Olympics, even though they were bound by contract to do so?

She then slaps the Phoenix fans in the face with a "“Hey, I could care less what people say [about the decision]. You should know that.” I wonder how her teammates feel about it?

My guess is that the Phoenix organization probably doesn't have a problem with her and may have tacitly agreed that she should "rest". If they're looking back at a season already in the toilet and looking forward to the draft, it gives them a way to suck the rest of the season without being accused of throwing games.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
If you can consider if it wasn't Taurasi, if it wasn't a UConn alum, if it wasn't a female, what would your response be to an athlete that couldn't play before the Olympics, miraculously recovered to play 100% in the Olympics and then was too tired and infirm to play after the Olympics, even though they were bound by contract to do so?

She then slaps the Phoenix fans in the face with a "“Hey, I could care less what people say [about the decision]. You should know that.” I wonder how her teammates feel about it?

My guess is that the Phoenix organization probably doesn't have a problem with her and may have tacitly agreed that she should "rest". If they're looking back at a season already in the toilet and looking forward to the draft, it gives them a way to suck the rest of the season without being accused of throwing games.

But she is a UConn Alum, Diana Taurasi, playing women's basketball. So the reactions here are based on that and should be.

And it wasn't "miraculous". A cheap shot to say the least. Unless you know how injured she was (and you don't) you have no idea when she was ready to play. Or if she was 100% for the Olympics.

She missed the first 3 games after the break. Something about wisdom teeth being pulled? I guess you think she should have done that while rehabbing (without knowing the details).

She has played the last 6 games and is clearly not 100%, playing only 16, 18 and 14 minutes after playing 24,28 and 30 minutes the 3 games before that.

I'm sure that most fans understand how this year played out and have no problem with it. Diana has ALWAYS given 100% for her fans.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score

If something is a decision made with management for the good of the player (her health) and the good of the organization (top three draft pick in 2013, development of new players this year with Taylor out and with new faces on the roster, etc.), what is the issue? Most Phoenix fans are fine with resting Taurasi, developing Bonner, Houston, and Hornbuckle (and Prahalis), and getting a shot at Griner.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
and, off the top of my head, I can think of about 50% of the Olympic team that have played limited/reduced/no minutes since the competition. As competative as DT is, just casting aspersions as to her motivation is pretty insulting.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I may be. I like to think so anyway. I've been working at it for years. But, just like Taurasi, the point is arguable. That aside, I never signed a contract to perform and then decided I needed to rest.

My dad used to say to never criticize a man until you walk a mile in his shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom