John A.: Impressions from night one... | The Boneyard

John A.: Impressions from night one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Maybe we shouldn't blame him, headline writers are usually back home and he most likely had little control over the result.

But:

40 % of john's "impressions" had nothing to do with the game, some not even about the team and I was let down. Would have appreciated impressions, sounded promising.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Maybe we shouldn't blame him, headline writers are usually back home and he most likely had little control over the result.

But:

40 % of john's "impressions" had nothing to do with the game, some not even about the team and I was let down. Would have appreciated impressions, sounded promising.

It's clear from many of your other posts that you don't like John. How about you keep it private.

It was a nice article with good information.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't know John personally but I am speaking of the standard of work which I think is fair game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tough crowd. I thought the article was fine. I was speculating with friends about Jen as a possibility for the Sun (before reading his article). General reaction - not likely.

Reaction Score
I don't know John personally but I am speaking of the standard of work which I think is fair game.

Fair enough in principle, but bogus in fact. As usual, DoggyDaddy had it right: your post was a personal attack. Objective criticism requires, you know, reference to facts. The piece you trashed was as DD pointed out, full of accurate and interesting information about the team and the stunning venue they're lighting up with their skill and heart. I don't know what would be left of the Boneyard if the mods required every post to make sense, but FYI yours doesn't.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I read Altavilla's article in the Courant and I thought it was a professional and informative piece on the team and almost entirely devoted to the game. Link to Hartofrd Courant

I may be wrong but I thought that the linked article in this thread was John A's blog which has an entirely different standard. When I read the blog (if that's what it is) I got the impression that it was written in the hotel bar after a couple of mojita's. That's not a criticism of Altavila, just my opinion of the linked piece.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

But:

All I can say is how much I appreciate the fact that not only do we have one of the top teams in WCBB virtually every year, but that the Connecticut sports media has at least 3 reporters dedicated to our team so we can read a constant flow of articles, blogs, and tweets from them.

Not even Tennessee enjoys the kind of WCBB coverage that us UCONN fans enjoy. And you actually got it wrong. Of the 10 bullet points that made up his set of "comments", 7 of them related to the game, so that's an astounding 70%. I certainly applaud anyone's right to criticize, but at least get your facts right.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
OK, mfs22b,

And maybe we shouldn't blame you for a very high standard of grumpiness in general? Who didn't understand archive links on the Courant when you were in Beijing (and who has time to pick nits when they are in Beijing for heaven's sake!)? And who doesn't get that blogs are for impressions and comments that are supplementary to the news pieces in the paper?

I for one am grateful that the Courant sent John to the VI. None of the other papers are there. So what standard of journalism would you have to hold every to if there was NO COVERAGE of the tournament at all except the radio crew, SNY and fellow Yarders?

Methinks your glass is not only half empty, it has a crack in it.

(Sorry, 'yarders, had to vent...)

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Yes, we are blessed when it comes to local media coverage.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
I read Altavilla's article in the Courant and I thought it was a professional and informative piece on the team and almost entirely devoted to the game. Link to Hartofrd Courant

I may be wrong but I thought that the linked article in this thread was John A's blog which has an entirely different standard. When I read the blog (if that's what it is) I got the impression that it was written in the hotel bar after a couple of mojita's. That's not a criticism of Altavila, just my opinion of the linked piece.

VTC...you are quite right. Gotta love the zeitgeist of bloggery.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I must admit to being overwhelmed with the board's cumulative arguments and will defer to Doggy's advice on the matter. Sorry to have ruined this mornings good feelings. Certainly not my intent.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Let me add to my mea culpa by saying that I just read John's excellent report of the game which was outstanding journalism and I was really acting like a jerk by being so petty about a stupid head. Really sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom