John A.: Geno wants to see improvement from Banks & Chong | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno wants to see improvement from Banks & Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“I don’t think Saniya has gotten a lot better, which I had hoped she would. I think she’s hit a plateau a bit, which is kind of natural [for a freshman],” Auriemma said.

“I don’t think Brianna Banks has gotten better and she is going to have to take a major step forwards. We need both of them to get good and to get good fast.”

LINK

U

UCONNfan1

He couldn't be more right. It would be unfortunate for the team to enter the tourney basically with a team of "only" 6 players... But encouraged he liked Sanyia's effort in the 17 minutes she played vs. Temple. Hopefully she's pushing past the "freshman wall"...

HGN

Reaction Score
I think coach is absolutely right....Neither has made a noticeable jump in ability. They are both good , but the jump in skills is not as noticeable as expected of a junior or freshman in the system at this point of the season.

Reaction Score
This is where the 2 seniors need to step in and give both players some tough love. They look like they are thinking too much like Stewie did last year............

Reaction Score
I think coach is absolutely right....Neither has made a noticeable jump in ability. They are both good , but the jump in skills is not as noticeable as expected of a junior or freshman in the system at this point of the season.

My feeling is that Banks will return to where she was before her injury. Saniya IMO shoots the ball really well when can square up but needs to improve her ball handling and penetrate more.

Reaction Score
Both Saniya and Brianna have to be more active on the offensive end. They have to be able to knock down a wide open jump shot and shoot the ball when open or defenses will sag off them and then they become a liability because it becomes 5 guarding 4. They both have the ability to give solid minutes off the bench and that could prove to be pivotal down the stretch.

Reaction Score
The last game Brianna Banks was passing up wide open shots and Saniya Chong looked to get rid of the ball as soon as it was passed to her. I somewhat can understand a freshman not wanting to make misstakes, but Banks is a seasoned veteran and should take a shot especially when wide open.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think they have both sort of followed Kiah's formula of deferring to others except when they are really needed. When Kaleena and Morgan went down earlier this season, they both stepped in and played some of their best games during that eight game stretch. When the two returned they both became more passive in their approach to the minutes they played. Then Banks had the ankle sprain and she is still working back from that. I think it wouldn't hurt for Geno to actually run a play for Chong and or Banks specifically on the first offensive set when they enter - sort of like what the team tries to do for KLaw as soon as she gets in the game. Get them thinking offense immediately to help their aggressiveness.

Reaction Score
“I don’t think Saniya has gotten a lot better, which I had hoped she would. I think she’s hit a plateau a bit, which is kind of natural [for a freshman],” Auriemma said.

“I don’t think Brianna Banks has gotten better and she is going to have to take a major step forwards. We need both of them to get good and to get good fast.”

LINK
The way I see it is ever since the Baylor game, playing time has decreased significantly for both Chong and Banks. When KML, and Tuck were injured , both were getting good meaningful minutes and both were contributing. One only has to go back and view those games and the box scores. However, compounding the problem is that the huskies have by far the best starting five in the country. Of course you want your best team on the floor as long as posssbile, who wouldn't? Geno has to find a way to get Chong and Banks meaningful minutes throughout the games, even if some cohesiveness is lost temporarily. Waiting until the huskies are ahead by 15 points is not going to improve their play. Geno and the coaching staff with make the necessary adjustments , I'm sure. They still have plenty of time to get through their individual growing pains before the poat season.

Reaction Score

LINK
This is where Geno's dilemma comes in because he hates to do this. The way to get better is by contributing when the game is still not decided. I think by playing the bench more Uconn may not win by as much, and they could even lose a regular season game, but I doubt it. This way the bench will be better prepared (for the tourney, and in case of another injury). Mentally players are sharper if they have to play when games count and they are counted on to be a part of the outcome, not just mop up at the end. They need to feel they don't have to defer to others when they should be aggressive. It will also save mileage on the starters so they can be a little fresher during the tourney when the games really counts.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Magic - just checked and I just am not really buying this. I am ignoring the first two games because one was UofH and the next was messed up by KML going down at the start of the second half.
1. So for the next eight games down to 7 scholarship players and in one game down to six when Kiah was unavailable Chong averaged 23.75 minutes and Banks 23.25. (also included in this stretch were BU, Monmouth, SBU, and UC-Davis a stretch of 4 out of 5 games that were probably the weakest on the schedule.)
Skip Duke with the return of KML and Tuck -
2. Next six games with KML and Tuck back taking some of the starter/bench minutes - Chong 18 minutes and Banks 17.3
3. Skip Baylor - only testing game and one in which starters all played over 32 minutes.
4. Next four games - Chong misses one, but averages 16.6. Banks misses basically 2 and is in foul trouble as she comes back in the third so pretty meaningless.

So ... a couple of things - with seven players both Banks and Chong got significantly more minutes but what would you expect and Banks was starting most of those games.
With the return of KML and Tuck they both averaged 17-18 minutes per game until Baylor - basically solid time for bench players especially when that time is being split amongst 4 players.
Since Baylor, Banks has been out of it and Chong missed one game. The only game that really stands out is the Rutgers game where Chong got 10 minutes and Banks got 8. In that game Stewart and Hartley both got in a groove, and Jefferson had a monster game with 13 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 Steals, and zero turnovers. I think that was a game where Geno just wanted to ride the starters as it is the only game besides Baylor where all the starters average 32-33 minutes and it was sort of a break out game for all but KML. The other two games Chong has played since Baylor are 23 and 17 minute efforts for an average of 20.
With Morgan now gone for the season, I would not be surprised to see Banks and Chong getting a little more time, but with only 7 games in Feb I think Geno will also want to keep Hartley and Moriah in their current zone and continue to work KML so don't see them averaging above 19-20 minutes and maybe still in the 17-18 range. That really is sufficient for them to improve and it really doesn't matter what the score is when they are playing - the coaches don't coach to the score until the very end and generally the players don't either.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This is where Geno's dilemma comes in because he hates to do this. The way to get better is by contributing when the game is still not decided. I think by playing the bench more Uconn may not win by as much, and they could even lose a regular season game, but I doubt it. This way the bench will be better prepared (for the tourney, and in case of another injury). Mentally players are sharper if they have to play when games count and they are counted on to be a part of the outcome, not just mop up at the end. They need to feel they don't have to defer to others when they should be aggressive. It will also save mileage on the starters so they can be a little fresher during the tourney when the games really counts.
So you are saying start Chong and Banks in games except maybe Louisville for the rest of the season - because a lot of these games are going to be 15-5 by the first media time-out. I just don't buy this - You have to ride the folks you are going to ride in the tournament so they get and stay sharp - against Louisville like against Baylor the starters may all play 30 minutes and they better be prepared to do that come the NCAAs.
As for 'mop up' - KTLaw and Polly are getting mop up minutes - Banks and Chong are getting meaningful minutes in the first and second halves of games - the score may already be lopsided, but the pressure to perform is sitting right there on the bench and if they don't perform they will be right back sitting next to him.
And Uconn players learn to perform under pressure in practice, and if they don't learn they end up playing Lawlor minutes.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Both Saniya and Brianna have to be more active on the offensive end.

Activity is the key. Some here say Geno doesn't let them play through mistakes. I don't agree. I think Geno would let them play through mistakes if they're playing aggressively and fully engaged with their teammates. He has zero tolerance for players who play tentatively and are content to have their teammates make plays rather than trying to impact the game themselves.

Reaction Score

I agree. Geno recently said that February is when you know who is going to be serious the rest of the way. UConn is going to go through the toughest part of the conference schedule in February. It would be nice to see some improvement in those games before going into the tournament.

Reaction Score
The last game Brianna Banks was passing up wide open shots and Saniya Chong looked to get rid of the ball as soon as it was passed to her. I somewhat can understand a freshman not wanting to make misstakes, but Banks is a seasoned veteran and should take a shot especially when wide open.[/I think there is a real inconsistency in Brianna Banks game and it's too bad that last year she had seemed to find the consistency to contribute with some regularity before she got injured. This year she has reverted back to her freshman year when she was totally undependable, occasionally making a few nice plays but following that up with poor play or little effort. I agree it'd be nice to able to depend on them but I have some doubts. I surely hope I'm wrong because they both have some skill.

Reaction Score
Oh man, Geno, now you've gone and done it! Gee, I really wish I could've savedya from this fate, but now you gonna have to face the music. See, I know that compared to you all of us here are pretty ignorant about the game, but see, some of the posters on this silly forum have had the temerity to say the identical thing you just said and boy, have they been roundly chastised for it! Some of the self-anointed Sir Galahads who patrol this place brook no objective criticism of "our girls'" play, however well-intended, and boy are you about to hear it from them....just you wait!! The girls haven't improved?? Sorry, pal, I wish I could protect you, but you gonna hear it for sayin' that!

Reaction Score
Today's game should provide the opportunity for both of them and Kiah.

Reaction Score
Magic - just checked and I just am not really buying this. I am ignoring the first two games because one was UofH and the next was messed up by KML going down at the start of the second half.
1. So for the next eight games down to 7 scholarship players and in one game down to six when Kiah was unavailable Chong averaged 23.75 minutes and Banks 23.25. (also included in this stretch were BU, Monmouth, SBU, and UC-Davis a stretch of 4 out of 5 games that were probably the weakest on the schedule.)
Skip Duke with the return of KML and Tuck -
2. Next six games with KML and Tuck back taking some of the starter/bench minutes - Chong 18 minutes and Banks 17.3
3. Skip Baylor - only testing game and one in which starters all played over 32 minutes.
4. Next four games - Chong misses one, but averages 16.6. Banks misses basically 2 and is in foul trouble as she comes back in the third so pretty meaningless.

So ... a couple of things - with seven players both Banks and Chong got significantly more minutes but what would you expect and Banks was starting most of those games.
With the return of KML and Tuck they both averaged 17-18 minutes per game until Baylor - basically solid time for bench players especially when that time is being split amongst 4 players.
Since Baylor, Banks has been out of it and Chong missed one game. The only game that really stands out is the Rutgers game where Chong got 10 minutes and Banks got 8. In that game Stewart and Hartley both got in a groove, and Jefferson had a monster game with 13 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 3 Steals, and zero turnovers. I think that was a game where Geno just wanted to ride the starters as it is the only game besides Baylor where all the starters average 32-33 minutes and it was sort of a break out game for all but KML. The other two games Chong has played since Baylor are 23 and 17 minute efforts for an average of 20.
With Morgan now gone for the season, I would not be surprised to see Banks and Chong getting a little more time, but with only 7 games in Feb I think Geno will also want to keep Hartley and Moriah in their current zone and continue to work KML so don't see them averaging above 19-20 minutes and maybe still in the 17-18 range. That really is sufficient for them to improve and it really doesn't matter what the score is when they are playing - the coaches don't coach to the score until the very end and generally the players don't either.
Sorry I am just responding, but I wanted to see saturday's game first. The fact I was trying to bring out was not the number of minutes. I was trying to make the case for meaningful minutes. Using the Stanford game as an example. She entered the game during an important stretch "early" in the game when the defense was packing it in, and hot cluch threes. After going back and reviewing some games and I started with Baylor, as the starting point. I don't buy for one second that the point in the game doesn't matter. Freshman handle things differently, especially mentally. Don't you remember when Geno was trying to get KML to think of every shot as a game winner? Only Geno and the staff know what's going on in practice. I thought Saniya responded well against Cincy. I'm still worried about Brianna. I think the most difficult aspect for some of these players at Uconn is keeping your confidence level up, with so much talent around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom