John A.: Geno hopes all of the Catholic schools to leave "tomorrow" | The Boneyard

John A.: Geno hopes all of the Catholic schools to leave "tomorrow"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno sounds a bit upset...tough to blame him. But who is he angrier with, the schools that are abandoning the Big East or his own administration for not beating the others to the punch?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Don't blame him at all. The reason the football schools kept jumping was because the balance of power was always with the BB schools and they made the BE unstable. Now that the BE is struggling they are going off on their own. If they had done that eight years ago the BE might have survived.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The thing I have always appreciated about Geno is that he's not afraid to tell it like it is. And that's what he's doing here. There's no real revelation that he's sharing; this is stuff that everyone knows (or should know) but have just not said it...

Reaction Score
The thing I have always appreciated about Geno is that he's not afraid to tell it like it is. And that's what he's doing here. There's no real revelation that he's sharing; this is stuff that everyone knows (or should know) but have just not said it...

Ditto...that was what made him my favorite coach of all time to interview. He's not afraid to say things that others may think but won't say. Of course, that's not to say he isn't forwarding his own agenda, it's just more entertaining than spewing the politically correct line most coaches go with.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The Catholic schools better get ready for some major beat downs with the possible exception of Doug and DePaul.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Agree with Geno, but I can't blame the schools for leaving at this time. Their expenses for their sports programs were only going to increase due to the increased travel costs and probably no way to increase revenue to pay for them. As others have said, the Football schools should have left the Big East and created their own conference. Maybe they could have prevented the ACC and Big 10 from poaching if they were in a separate conference.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno's cruelest cut of all. Bless him he still expects more from the community of faith than just taking.
“The Catholic schools did a really good thing. They stayed at the table for as long as it took them to make as much money as they could. And once they saw all the money running out, they decided to go play somewhere else. Had some of them managed to vote appropriately over the last 10 years [as Big East conference members] we wouldn’t be in the situation we are now.
“They did what was best for them, just like a lot of catholic schools do. They like to say the state schools are the big bad guys. I’ve heard my share of that in my time in the conference [28 years].”

Reaction Score
It is not my style to bad mouth schools going out of the Big East, and it is my style to welcome and laud those coming in. That's just how I like to roll.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It is not my style to bad mouth schools going out of the Big East, and it is my style to welcome and laud those coming in. That's just how I like to roll.
Yes, we get it already.

Reaction Score
What exactly did Geno mean when he said: "Had some of them managed to vote appropriately over the last 10 years [as Big East conference members] we wouldn’t be in the situation we are now."?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
What exactly did Geno mean when he said: "Had some of them managed to vote appropriately over the last 10 years [as Big East conference members] we wouldn’t be in the situation we are now."?
Obviously not sure of all the internal workings of the league, but the 7 as a block had control of the BE agenda and were often in conflict with the football schools. Most recently the ESPN negotiations for TV rights prior to this last round of defections.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Yes, we get it already.

o my - when I first glanced at the post, I thought it said "that's how I like to Troll" :oops:
bad, bad, radylady

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32