John A.: Chris Dailey and the process of laying the foundation | The Boneyard

John A.: Chris Dailey and the process of laying the foundation

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“One of the first things we did was gave them sweaters to wear [as a team]. They had never had anything [gear] to wear as a group."

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great quotes from Chris. I think her contributions are sometimes overlooked when gawking at the eye-popping stats that are attributed (and rightfully so) to the head coach, Geno. But Chris has been a crazy-amazing #2 and as a tandem, no one even comes close to accomplishing what the two of them have together...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... in theory here, Chris will actually reach her 1000 game coached at Uconn one game sooner than Geno - right? Geno was suspended for one game that year they had a scheduling snafu and she was HC of that game. So why no celebration on Feb 19th against UCF at the XL for Chris' 1000th game?!!!
Come John ... lets get a quick series of quotes and notes on Chris.
At least some bonyarder's at that game should have a sign for her!!!

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I asked about that and was told that Geno gets credit for the game where he was suspended. I haven't checked the numbers, but I think Houston is 1000 for Chris, and 999 for Geno, if you take out the suspended game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Actually, if you want to talk physical presence, it it more like 993 against Houston.

Geno was not present for
  • 2/25/1989 game against St. John's (suspension)
  • 3/3/1989 game against Georgetown (suspension)
  • 3/4/1989 game against Boston College (suspension)
  • 3/5/1989 game against Providence (suspension)
  • 3/2/1997 game against Villanova (death of father)
  • 3/3/1997 game against Miami (death of father)
  • 3/4/1997 game against Notre Dame (death of father)

I haven't yet confirmed whether Geno was present for the 1997 BET final. Present via speakerphone

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Why was he suspended? I was living and working overseas at that time.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Note that all seven games where Geno was not present were won by UConn. Which means, if you want to be picky, that Chris's winning percentage is better than Geno's. (I haven't checked to see if Chris missed any games.)

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
The suspension occurred because he scheduled a scrimmage against Eastern Connecticut. I don't know the exact details, but something was done wrong (maybe they kept score, which is not allowed), that scrimmage wasn't allowed. Which meant that the team had scheduled too many games. Syracuse, the original final game of the season, was gracious enough to allow a cancellation. Had they played, UConn would have been ineligible for the BET. However, the penalty was that Geno could not coach the remainder of the regular season and the BET.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Actually, if you want to talk physical presence, it it more like 993 against Houston.

Geno was not present for

• [ ]3/3/1989 game against Georgetown (suspension)

[ ]3/3/1997 game against Miami (death of father)

Hmm, beware the 1/5th Ides of March? Appropriate since both Geno and Caesar are/were Italians.

More seriously, I agree with those advocating public recognition for Chris when her 1,000th game comes around. As much as I know this is wishful thinking, and as much as I like hearing Geno respond to questions, I keep hoping that one of the sideline reporters for CBS or ESPN will one day interview one of the assistant coaches instead of the head honcho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom