John A. And ND | The Boneyard

John A. And ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
In today's courant John A. Said "with the exception of Diggins, they have essentially the same team that played a hand in beating the Huskies in 7 of the past 9 meetings"

In the first of these 9 meetings, the only player on that team that is on this years team that played in that game was Achonwa. 22 minutes, 4 points, 4 rebounds.

In 2011-12, ND still had Peters, Novosel and Mallory along with Diggins. McBride saw some serious minutes. Achonwa was still coming off the bench most of the time.

Sorry, John, but you are way off. The first 5 games of your 9 game stretch are not close to having essentially the same team that won 4 of those 5 games.

Now last year? I can see some of your point. The big three of Achonwa, McBride and Loyd were there in the 4 games last year. And playing wonderfully. But this team is very different. Some say better. I'm not so sure. Tough to be better when you lose a player as good as Diggins and having a freshman point.

There are some big differences in the teams within the last 4 match ups. That showed in the semi-final game last year. Stewart wasn't the best player in the country the first 3 games. She was in the FF.

Now add in the AA play of Hartley, the Improved play of Jefferson and you have a better team, even with the loss of Faris.

So John, let's put the ND team of two years ago to bed. They are irrelevant to any outcome this year.

Reaction Score
The National Semifinal last year when Stewie was finally herself, Notre Dame shooting McBride 5-20, Loyd 5-17, Achonwa 2-6, Braker 3-8, Diggins 2-15 Totals 15-58. It was shooting that destroyed Notre Dame in that game, and the majority of the defense is back, add in Moriah, and Kiah who didn't play much, makes up for loss of Kelly, because the other 4 have gotten better. Notre Dame is still going to find 40 minutes of difficult shots.

Reaction Score
The National Semifinal last year when Stewie was finally herself, Notre Dame shooting McBride 5-20, Loyd 5-17, Achonwa 2-6, Braker 3-8, Diggins 2-15 Totals 15-58. It was shooting that destroyed Notre Dame in that game, and the majority of the defense is back, add in Moriah, and Kiah who didn't play much, makes up for loss of Kelly, because the other 4 have gotten better. Notre Dame is still going to find 40 minutes of difficult shots.

How was their shooting in the other 3 games?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How was their shooting in the other 3 games?
Better but not stellar. The biggest difference in last years semi-finals was the improved play of Breanna which fed other Huskies and put Notre Dame into a hole they couldn't climb out of, not with our stellar defense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Simply put that 2012 team - 4 starters are gone so totally agree. If he wants to say 'with the exception of Diggins the current team is the pretty much the same as the team that went 3-1 last year, OK.

Reaction Score
The difference from last years 1st 3 UCONN-ND games and the 4th in the semi's and this years team is the 1st 3 UCONN LOST because they were worried about the so-called, NOTRE DAME MYSTIQUE, in the 4th UCONN played their usual great defense and their offense was hitting on all cylinders! This years team isn't worried about anything other than playing UCONN BB for 40 mins. All things being equal, they should win by 20+ points! UCONN's bigs will dominate ND's bigs! The Guards are a wash, but Stewart, Dolson, KML, & Stokes, are too good in all phases of the game for ND to win! KML being healthy again is HUGE! And ND is a better team this year without the DIVA!

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
The difference from last years 1st 3 UCONN-ND games and the 4th in the semi's and this years team is the 1st 3 UCONN LOST because they were worried about the so-called, NOTRE DAME MYSTIQUE, in the 4th UCONN played their usual great defense and their offense was hitting on all cylinders! This years team isn't worried about anything other than playing UCONN BB for 40 mins. All things being equal, they should win by 20+ points! UCONN's bigs will dominate ND's bigs! The Guards are a wash, but Stewart, Dolson, KML, & Stokes, are too good in all phases of the game for ND to win! KML being healthy again is HUGE! And ND is a better team this year without the DIVA!

No, not by 20...more like 14.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Love your passion exclamation points, capital letters....wow.

I love your point on how Uconn played like they were worried about the ND mystique. On some levels that was mostly Diggins. When they were able to really take her out of the game, Uconn was able to stay focused with every ND run to close the gap.

Reaction Score
I don't know. Tough to compensate for the loss of Kelly.

Reaction Score
I think Geno is probably pretty sick of all this Notre Dame talk and how we (uconn) are afraid of them! I think Geno is going to have something special for them if we play. I will be very surprised if they can stay within 20! He is the master at getting a team ready to play and I'll bet he puts some extra effort in for that game, if it should occur. Also, I don't think the players are very happy about this ND thing either! Remember, this team does not like to share! (Except for the basketball)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I think Geno is probably pretty sick of all this Notre Dame talk and how we (uconn) are afraid of them! I think Geno is going to have something special for them if we play. I will be very surprised if they can stay within 20! He is the master at getting a team ready to play and I'll bet he puts some extra effort in for that game, if it should occur. Also, I don't think the players are very happy about this ND thing either! Remember, this team does not like to share! (Except for the basketball)

who sez we are afraid of them?

Reaction Score
This is a joke, right ? The ND mystique ? ROTFLMAO

Reaction Score
[Now add in the AA play of Hartley, the Improved play of Jefferson and you have a better team, even with the loss of Faris.

.[/quote]

I agree. I think it was the play of Hartley & Stewie that elevated us past ND last year. If memory serves me right, Hartley did not play up to her potential and struggled against ND. That is what made the difference IMO.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In today's courant John A. Said "with the exception of Diggins, they have essentially the same team that played a hand in beating the Huskies in 7 of the past 9 meetings"

In the first of these 9 meetings, the only player on that team that is on this years team that played in that game was Achonwa. 22 minutes, 4 points, 4 rebounds.

In 2011-12, ND still had Peters, Novosel and Mallory along with Diggins. McBride saw some serious minutes. Achonwa was still coming off the bench most of the time.

Sorry, John, but you are way off. The first 5 games of your 9 game stretch are not close to having essentially the same team that won 4 of those 5 games.

Now last year? I can see some of your point. The big three of Achonwa, McBride and Loyd were there in the 4 games last year. And playing wonderfully. But this team is very different. Some say better. I'm not so sure. Tough to be better when you lose a player as good as Diggins and having a freshman point.

There are some big differences in the teams within the last 4 match ups. That showed in the semi-final game last year. Stewart wasn't the best player in the country the first 3 games. She was in the FF.

Now add in the AA play of Hartley, the Improved play of Jefferson and you have a better team, even with the loss of Faris.

So John, let's put the ND team of two years ago to bed. They are irrelevant to any outcome this year.
Agree, don't worry about 2 years ago. And last year 2 games (losses) were decided by 3 pts., one went to 3OTs, and UCONN won the last by 18. Give ND (and Diggins) credit for closing out those first 3, but a couple different bounces and UCONN could have been 2-2, 3-1 or 4-0 against ND. But ND was never winning that last game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I do agree that ND is probably the only team that doesn't "fear" UCONN. And I'm not saying that other teams are terrified, but having the UCONN across your jersey does have some mystique and this team has been almost unbeatable for a while now. BUT ND has been able to do it on a consistent basis. Not when it mattered most last year, but they certainly know what it feels like to have success against UCONN.

I watched a snipped of Rebecca and Kara discussing what makes ND's offense so hard to guard - they really do run offense similar to UCONN. Always moving, always passing, setting screens, back screens, anything to get an open look. They are a well coached team for sure. Muffet is one of the best in the nation right now...

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
1) Absolutely can't see the Huskies worrying about the "Notre Dame Mystique".
2) The Irish may not "be afraid" of UConn, but I am betting that they are more than a little, shall we say, apprehensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom