Joey California | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joey California

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I admit I also didn't think he'd really crack the rotation. He's been better than Alleyne in a lot of ways, who is rushing his shots. Joey C has the confidence to take his time, set his feet, and knock down shots.

He can make the open shot, he's savvy. He can occasionally take it to the rock, and is an above average passer. They went after him on D a couple times, and they got to him once or twice, but he forced a couple misses, too. Trying to come up with a comp, but it's tough. We usually have more athletic guys. Might have to go for a different team. Mike Nardi?
I’ve stated many times my admiration for your analysis and contributions to this forum.

But I’m going to take a casual fans victory lap in stating I was buying Joey California stock when the rest of you were selling.

He’s another player who can overcome his athletic deficiencies with his bb IQ.

But the thing I like about Joey the most is how he energizes the team when he comes in the game. And the second thing I like about him is he’s a vocal floor leader. He takes the pressure off of players like Tristen and Alleyne who are quiet leaders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m happy to eat my crow and the kid really got offense game:
  • 3 point threat - check
  • fast break and high off glass layup from both sides - check
  • passing to open man or lob to big man for a dunk — check

I’m reading Steve Kerr vibe from Joe California…

Reaction Score
He can play. He’s completely unafraid. He has what we call “balls”.
Sums up my opinion perfectly.

Knowing very little about him when he signed, I expected a good spot shooter and a decent secondary ball-handler when we needed guard depth.

His offensive game is much more "lead guard" ish than I expected and he's quickly responded to Hurley's wishes of upping his intensity. He'll likely finish the season with more PT than I imagined prior to the season starting.

Really like this pickup for UConn.

Reaction Score
Sums up my opinion perfectly.

Knowing very little about him when he signed, I expected a good spot shooter and a decent secondary ball-handler when we needed guard depth.

His offensive game is much more "lead guard" ish than I expected and he's quickly responded to Hurley's wishes of upping his intensity. He'll likely finish the season with more PT than I imagined prior to the season starting.

Really like this pickup for UConn.

3 weeks ago I would have assumed he'd be glued to the bench vs better opponents. Every game it seems like he's eating into Diarra's backup minutes more and more

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This is what it looks like when everyone on the floor is a threat to score. He is probably the 4th or 5th scoring option when he's on the floor most of the time, so defenses aren't going to focus on him which opens up his scoring opportunities.

Reaction Score
This is what it looks like when everyone on the floor is a threat to score. He is probably the 4th or 5th scoring option when he's on the floor most of the time, so defenses aren't going to focus on him which opens up his scoring opportunities.

Actually that’s not true. I thought that was the case before but Oregon defense did not slack off him any more than any other. Give credit where is due. The kid earn his keeps on this team and that says something about him…

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Actually that’s not true. I thought that was the case before but Oregon defense did not slack off him any more than any other. Give credit where is due. The kid earn his keeps on this team and that says something about him…

My point is, they can't give him extra attention. Think of Polley last year; teams wouldn't let him get open on the three-point line, and we didn't have enough quality offensive options to make them pay because of that extra attention. If teams start trying to run Joey off the three-point line and make that their focus, then Jordan or Sanogo or Karaban or Newton or Alleyne or Clingan can all make them pay. This team is really good at passing the ball too, and they whip it around really quickly before defenses can reset, so it's a real "pick your poison" situation we're setting up here.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Did we recruit Joey C. because Corey Floyd decided to bolt for Providence? If so, this was a excellent trade off. Floyd is doing zilch for Providence and The California Kid is lighting it up for us.

Reaction Score
Kid has guts and swag. Very confident shooter. Court awareness very high and fits in nicely when he is on the floor. Knows what to do and when, and you can not put a price on that.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did we recruit Joey C. because Corey Floyd decided to bolt for Providence? If so, this was an excellent trade off. Floyd is doing zilch for Providence and The California Kid is lighting it up for us.
I would guess Alleyne is more the Corey replacement.

Reaction Score
I’m happy to eat my crow and the kid really got offense game:
  • 3 point threat - check
  • fast break and high off glass layup from both sides - check
  • passing to open man or lob to big man for a dunk — check

I’m reading Steve Kerr vibe from Joe California…
From eating crow to comparing him to a college All-American who won 5 NBA Championships as a player and 4 more as a coach. That’s quite the leap forward.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I haven't wavered as a Joey partisan (check my post before the Oregon game), but I'll repeat that tonight's game and the one on Sunday will be where he gets tested at a different level. The team will be tested similarly.
Let's go Huskies...

Reaction Score
From eating crow to comparing him to a college All-American who won 5 NBA Championships as a player and 4 more as a coach. That’s quite the leap forward.
Bill Walton compared him to Bill Russell last night lol

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom