Joey California interviewed for news item in Marin, CA | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joey California interviewed for news item in Marin, CA

Reaction Score
Curious about NIL revenues (if at all) after graduation.. Can/could someone like Joey--after graduation-- continue to benefit from jersey/sweatshirt/hat sales financially or does that opportunity expire once they've graduated?? In other words.. Does NCAA dictate or control those parameters??

If still applicable.. The Yard could easily influence Joey's position in UConn's NIL HOF.. LOL

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Curious about NIL revenues (if at all) after graduation.. Can/could someone like Joey--after graduation-- continue to benefit from jersey/sweatshirt/hat sales financially or does that opportunity expire once they've graduated?? In other words.. Does NCAA dictate or control those parameters??

If still applicable.. The Yard could easily influence Joey's position in UConn's NIL HOF.. LOL
I thought once your eligibility is up it's Goodbye Charlie! It's no longer NIL but self-marketing.

Reaction Score
I thought once your eligibility is up it's Goodbye Charlie! It's no longer NIL but self-marketing.
Think you're probably right.. Just haven't seen any specific mention of such... Some older UConn players have voiced an interest in participating in UConn jersey sales revenue with their name on the product as a result of the recent NIL opportunities of this generation of players.. Not a game changer financially but could benefit a charity or foundation they are involved with by creating a revenue stream..(as an example)..

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Don’t forget Andre’s extraordinary drive to the hoop with behind the back moves followed by an incredible dunk. Classic!!
@EL Greco, you are correct. I'm going to stick with the Joey/Clingan play for first because we were on such a heater at the time and the building was up for grabs. Andre's play moves comfortably in to second. Hawks missed dunk goes to third(I've never seen a missed dunk travel that far).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He accomplished what most grad transfers going up a notch or two on competition dream of doing.

No pressure to lead the team, contribute off the bench, have a few games where you shine, get some great shots and call by announcers in March, and win a natty.

Even enhanced his NIL and got him some shots for European ball.

Reaction Score
Think you're probably right.. Just haven't seen any specific mention of such... Some older UConn players have voiced an interest in participating in UConn jersey sales revenue with their name on the product as a result of the recent NIL opportunities of this generation of players.. Not a game changer financially but could benefit a charity or foundation they are involved with by creating a revenue stream..(as an example)..
What does NIL have to do with any of that. If the player is no longer playing for an NCAA team, he or she can make money any way he or she wants, no? For example, unless I am mistaken, non-knockoff Kemba jerseys were available before NIL became a thing.

Reaction Score
What does NIL have to do with any of that. If the player is no longer playing for an NCAA team, he or she can make money any way he or she wants, no? For example, unless I am mistaken, non-knockoff Kemba jerseys were available before NIL became a thing.
NIL is a term associated with NCAA athletes..But revenue opportunities have always existed post-graduation for athletes --pro or not . My question is.. Can a graduated player continue to generate revenue from the jerseys/hats/sweatshirts that generated NIL revenue while in school under NCAA oversight?? Or does the NCAA control their ability to generate funds off of those particular items ?In particular.. Joey has become somewhat of an iconic personality for UConn fans and I expect his Joey California vibe to continue to be a money maker for him through his portfolio of sportswear established at UConn under NCAA monitored NIL.. Simple question..

During the UConn Tournament run there were occasional comments associated with former UConn players who stated that they might consider revisiting their own ability to recapture some revenue. Life changing? No.. More the principle than the money.. Your example of Kemba's non-knockoff jerseys generated no revenue for Kemba then.. But Joey's did because of NIL..

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I imagine the school needs to approve use of their licensed logos, trademarks etc but beyond that, if someone for example wanted an officially licensed replica Danny Manning Kansas Jersey or Herschel Walker Georgia Jersey the athlete (due to the NIL ruling) would be entitled to a good amount of the proceeds.

Reaction Score
I imagine the school needs to approve use of their licensed logos, trademarks etc but beyond that, if someone for example wanted an officially licensed replica Danny Manning Kansas Jersey or Herschel Walker Georgia Jersey the athlete (due to the NIL ruling) would be entitled to a good amount of the proceeds.
Are you saying the athlete wasn't entitled to any money before the NIL ruling?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Are you saying the athlete wasn't entitled to any money before the NIL ruling?
I'm pretty confident that the lawsuit was entirely because of that issue.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty confident that the lawsuit was entirely because of that issue.
The lawsuit was about former athletes that are no longer enrolled in school?

(I'm not being argumentative. I'm legitimately confused, both about this conversation and the issue in general.)

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
The lawsuit was about former athletes that are no longer enrolled in school?

(I'm not being argumentative. I'm legitimately confused, both about this conversation and the issue in general.)
The lawsuit was started by Ed O'Bannon. A number of years after his last game at UCLA (the won the title, he was MVP) he found out UCLA was making money from a college basketball video game (that allowed use of historic teams). He believed he had the right to a piece of that money, which set into motion the events that gave us NIL.

Reaction Score
The lawsuit was started by Ed O'Bannon. A number of years after his last game at UCLA (the won the title, he was MVP) he found out UCLA was making money from a college basketball video game (that allowed use of historic teams). He believed he had the right to a piece of that money, which set into motion the events that gave us NIL.
Gotcha. What I'm wondering is: Before the lawsuit, would Ed O'Bannon and UCLA have been able to sell, for example, an Ed O'Bannon UCLA jersey, assuming he was no longer an NCAA athlete? If not, who in the world forbade it? The NCAA? What in the world legal leg did they think they were standing on?

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Gotcha. What I'm wondering is: Before the lawsuit, would Ed O'Bannon and UCLA have been able to sell, for example, an Ed O'Bannon UCLA jersey, assuming he was no longer an NCAA athlete? If not, who in the world forbade it? The NCAA? What in the world legal leg did they think they were standing on?
I don't know of any "collectors events" where a former player appeared to help sell merchandise (retired professional athletes have been doing it for decades) but there have been numerous cases of a school selling jerseys that were in some way replicas of what former, often famous players wore. Prior to the lawsuit the schools weren't required to compensate the players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom