Joey California interviewed for news item in Marin, CA | The Boneyard

Joey California interviewed for news item in Marin, CA

Reaction Score
When I saw him against Buffalo
Sanago , was not having a good night
plus we had starters out .
The score was tied at 15 forever and it looked like a long struggle .
Joey came in and in a span of 1-2 minutes it was 27-28-15 game over .
I know the board was down on him for his lack of defense but I saw a John Gwynn instant offense type player who could change a game trajectory.
A guy who comes off the bench who can.not only put it in the hoop but ignite his teammates.
We had a guy on the NIT championship team , not the greatest player or even shooter , but when the offense was stagnant JC would put him in and although he didn’t score much the timing of his points.we critical . It always amazed me by how much one guy could contribute simply because of when he makes those shots . The box score says he scored 4 but they came as our opponents were on a run and they weren’t falling for our stars . Those clutch clutch votner Jumpers seemed to wake us up . Hopefully you remember the late Spider Ursery.
Championships are won.by guys like that .
Anderson in 2004 was phenomenal but he also was a starter later.
TSam in 2014 , no shooter but he made huge points off the bench .
Everyone remembers NoVA with Bazz on the Bench . But he also was part of that Florida comeback.
That’s what I saw in Joey , players like that make a difference especially to championships .

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
One low key portal pick up did so much for the UConn brand, as a role player, during a championship season. It’s a great story.

I really can't think of a more pleasant surprise than Joey last season. From roster filler to absolutely one of the team leaders. Kid had some swag to him and his attitude, performance, and ability to be a great teammate simply demanded that Hurley couldn't not play him.

Really was a big fan. He had stones. Wasn't afraid of big spots, in fact it seemed that he relished them.

Reaction Score
I really can't think of a more pleasant surprise than Joey last season. From roster filler to absolutely one of the team leaders. Kid had some swag to him and his attitude, performance, and ability to be a great teammate simply demanded that Hurley couldn't not play him.

Really was a big fan. He had stones. Wasn't afraid of big spots, in fact it seemed that he relished them.

Just an unbelievable addition to the team that turned out to be much, much more valuable than anyone anticipated. Other than that brief mid-season lull that coincided with the team not playing well he never really seemed to miss a shot. He was a weapon and a half in the tournament. Cocky, confident kid who seemed to mesh well with the group and bring a great attitude to the program. He's a UConn legend in my eyes.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Just an unbelievable addition to the team that turned out to be much, much more valuable than anyone anticipated. Other than that brief mid-season lull that coincided with the team not playing well he never really seemed to miss a shot. He was a weapon and a half in the tournament. Cocky, confident kid who seemed to mesh well with the group and bring a great attitude to the program. He's a UConn legend in my eyes.
Hurley really painted a roster masterpiece this past season.

I keep telling myself I ,and the yard, will remember that when times get tough for a stretch at a future point, but we all know that’s not true . :)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I watched the Miami FF game again last weekend. Joeys mitts all over that one. That hustle block ( and he was so amped jumping backwards the block was with his elbow almost, great non call by refs)where he was drifting out of bounds at baseline when we were a tad lethargic and saved it back in to Andre and Miami player tipped back out was just such a champions level play

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
After the title game, I had some interesting videos pushed to me on my YouTube front page. Did anyone else see "Final Four game watched by English father and son"? The hook was the son had watched the game the day before and was watching it again with his father, who was seeing it for the first time because the night before he was at the pub. Anyway that play Joey, to AJ between the legs back to Joey to bury the three. The two dudes just looked at each other and the old man said "that is beautiful basketball".

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
The behind the back pass to Clingan was my favorite play of the year. My second favorite play was Hawks missed dunk which went 75 feet into the backcourt.

Reaction Score
The behind the back pass to Clingan was my favorite play of the year. My second favorite play was Hawks missed dunk which went 75 feet into the backcourt.
Great pass. Joey and Clingan worked great together. I'm missing this team already. UConn will still be great but never the same.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
He’ll play somewhere in Europe.

Reaction Score

Really wish him the best in life. A Husky legend after just 1 year (and a NC :))

Reaction Score
Don’t forget Andre’s extraordinary drive to the hoop with behind the back moves followed by an incredible dunk. Classic!!

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
When I saw him against Buffalo
Sanago , was not having a good night
plus we had starters out .
The score was tied at 15 forever and it looked like a long struggle .
Joey came in and in a span of 1-2 minutes it was 27-28-15 game over .
I know the board was down on him for his lack of defense but I saw a John Gwynn instant offense type player who could change a game trajectory.
A guy who comes off the bench who can.not only put it in the hoop but ignite his teammates.
We had a guy on the NIT championship team , not the greatest player or even shooter , but when the offense was stagnant JC would put him in and although he didn’t score much the timing of his points.we critical . It always amazed me by how much one guy could contribute simply because of when he makes those shots . The box score says he scored 4 but they came as our opponents were on a run and they weren’t falling for our stars . Those clutch clutch votner Jumpers seemed to wake us up . Hopefully you remember the late Spider Ursery.
Championships are won.by guys like that .
Anderson in 2004 was phenomenal but he also was a starter later.
TSam in 2014 , no shooter but he made huge points off the bench .
Everyone remembers NoVA with Bazz on the Bench . But he also was part of that Florida comeback.
That’s what I saw in Joey , players like that make a difference especially to championships .
I hadn’t thought of Brian Fair in many years but reading this brought Brian to mind. Not sure how he necessarily compares with Joey C but he was instant offense when his shot was on point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom