Joey C vs Diarra | The Boneyard

Joey C vs Diarra

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I think Hurley needs to find more minutes for Joey and less for Diarra. Joey’s minutes have been way down lately. Early in the season against ranked teams when the team was in sync he was getting decent minutes and was helping UCONN with scoring as well as distributing the ball. His defense is definitely good enough. Diarra has good energy for a bench player and is good on D but he isn’t a scorer, Joey is. California plays decent enough defense to get more playing time.

This is really getting overlooked.

Reaction Score
Diarra’s defense won us the Creighton and Villanova game. Otherwise we might be looking at a 2-4 conference record right now. What are you talking about?

I love Joey but he’s been ice cold for 4 of his last 5 games. He’s gotta snap out of his slump if he wants more minutes, and we don’t have the luxury of letting him shoot his way out of it in close games

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Earlier in the season, I think Joey was overlooked to an extent. Now he is a major part of the scout against us making it harder to get good looks in rhythm that he was feasting on. Keep in mind, though, to the extent his man has to stay with him on the perimeter that opens up the paint for Adama and Donovan.

I’m not sure about more minutes Hassan. He’s one of those players, and that seems to alternate between making plays and making mistakes. It feels like he has a good +/- but I haven’t specifically looked at it. He may be best used the way early. He’s using him as a change of pace player.

Reaction Score
Can’t anybody see that nobody is moving without the ball?? Just standing around and therefore no open shots like the first 10 games that doesn’t make the defenses work so they focus only on shooters and are not getting tired from same

Reaction Score
If Joey is making his shots, he can be a major spark plug for a run that helps us win a game. If he’s not making his shots, he has no reason being out there

If Diarra is causing hell for opposing guards, he can be a major spark plug for a run that helps us win a game. If he’s not causing hell, he has no reason being out there

They’re situational players. Diarra’s situation came up twice in the last 4 games. Joey’s hasn’t come up yet. That’s why Diarra is getting the minutes right now. Could change if Joey’s shot starts falling again (which it eventually will)

Reaction Score
All I want for 2023 is for Diarra to watch tape of Ricky Moore 20 hours a day. That is all this team needs from him to take it to another level.

Play defense, focus on ball handling and be very conservative with the ball, and - I mean this seriously - stop shooting. The immense value he brings as a defensive stopper at PG and just being able to dribble up the court for 5-10 minutes a game and initiate the offense would make him irreplaceable.

Reaction Score
He has never put up big offensive numbers. Last year he scored 6 ppg with similar assists and rebounds. 6ppg is better than 3 but it doesn't seem like Hurley got him for his offense. Which is how his game has played out this year so far.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
I think Hurley needs to find more minutes for Joey and less for Diarra. Joey’s minutes have been way down lately. Early in the season against ranked teams when the team was in sync he was getting decent minutes and was helping UCONN with scoring as well as distributing the ball. His defense is definitely good enough. Diarra has good energy for a bench player and is good on D but he isn’t a scorer, Joey is. California plays decent enough defense to get more playing time.

This board gets better by the day! Lmaoooo, what a post! Apparently you’re not watching!

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
I just don't like having guards on the floor that can't shoot. I would sacrifice a little defense for this

1673271434854.png

Reaction Score
We went after Diarra specifically for Big East play, and he's doing exactly what's expected from him. All summer we heard about his toughness, mentally and physically, and how he's a Danny Hurley type player. If he can come in and control the pace of play by making life difficult for guys like Nembhard, Posh, etc, he will continue to get minutes. He has some deficiencies offensively, but he's not turning the ball over and his hustle is contagious

Last edited:

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Hurley was doing offensive/defensive substitutions with Newton and Diarra at the end of the Creighton game. Against smaller, quick point guards I think we'll see more of Diarra. Joey is a nice player and I'm sure he will have more good games ahead of him but the way this team is constructed Diarra adds more value.

Reaction Score
This is a very tough situation no doubt. We were a much better offense when Joey was making shots and that's the best we've looked. Diarra has been excellent defensively no doubt and because we are having so much difficulty scoring the ball for now, he would have to get some more minutes. The bad news is on the offensive end when he's in the game, and AJ as well, they have 2 guys they are not concerned about so our offense needs to be off the steal and in transition because in the half court we're screwed.

Honestly, we need Joey to start making shots again we looked like a better team all around when he was. And he and Clingan had some great stretches together off the bench. Need Joey to find the range again.

Reaction Score
Right now Joey can't shoot, and if he can't do that he's not offering anything and is a minus on the defensive end.

Diarra is a great defender. His shooting isn't great but he seems to hit big shots. He can't stop shooting altogether, as some here have suggested, as every team is already clued in that Jackson can't shoot either and we can't have 2/5 of the backcourt not even pretending to be an offensive threat.

I'll live with Diarra's spotty shooting w/ his consistent defense over Joey's non-existent shooting and poor defense right now. Joey should keep getting a few minutes a game to let him find some spark, but we can't afford a long leash with him.

Reaction Score
Looking at Joey C's stats prior to UConn it seemed impossible that he'd become a 50% three point shooter playing against far better competition. It was therefore inevitable that his stats and % would come back down to earth. His role now is a microwave to inject energy into team. As others have said Diarra's role is much more important.
All that said Joey had a nice play knocking a ball loose from behind near midcourt on Saturday that ignited the 2nd half run. That's what he needs to do, get in there and make something happen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What you're missing is the move from Diarra to Calcaterra is not sacrificing a little defense, it's sacrificing a lot

The flip side is moving from Calcaterra is Diarra is not sacrificing a little scoring ability, it's sacrificing a lot.

I like what Diarra has done the past 3-4 games with his defense and setting a tone of toughness. And at the same time Joey C's shot has been off. Recency bias is in play.

There are still about 20-25 mpg available for Diarra and Joey C if starters are healthy and out of foul trouble. How those minutes are distributed will be based on flow of game and what they do when they get in the game. Obviously foul trouble or injuries would increase their usage.

Reaction Score
Diarra is becoming a stopper for us. He adds energy to our team and the entire building. His role needs to increase if anything. As someone put it, he cuts the head off the snake.

Joey is going to be more of a heat check player. When he’s on and finding shots and he’ll play more. He will also play more when the matchups allow.

Reaction Score
The flip side is moving from Calcaterra is Diarra is not sacrificing a little scoring ability, it's sacrificing a lot.
Not right now though. As others have pointed out, Joey has been missing badly. If he's slumping, hard to play him over Diarra even if Diarra's offensive ceiling is far lower.

Reaction Score
Diarra is becoming a stopper for us. He adds energy to our team and the entire building. His role needs to increase if anything. As someone put it, he cuts the head off the snake.

Joey is going to be more of a heat check player. When he’s on and finding shots and he’ll play more. He will also play more when the matchups allow.
What you are really saying is that you would like to see Joey playing well again, because once he does, he'll play more. You just got used to seeing him score every time he came in, we all got spoiled by that, and we all want to see it again.

Reaction Score
What you're missing is the move from Diarra to Calcaterra is not sacrificing a little defense, it's sacrificing a lot
I think something big about this is that Calcaterra really shouldn't be expected to guard a primary ballhandler for any extended period of time. I don't mind him chasing guards off screens, and I think he's actually pretty good at jumping in passing lanes, but he just doesn't take guys out of their game as an on-ball defender

Reaction Score

Appreciate the opinion and you sharing, but I don't think Joey's minutes are at the expense of Diarra vice versa since they play different positions. And, as others have pointed out, Diarra is offering more than Joey right now so you will see him out there more often.

That said, one of the things that this board jumps all over is if you are critical of the team. I am the biggest UConn homer in the world, but this team hasn't come close to playing their best. They haven't had a game where 5-6 of its players have been on at once, but I see us building to that. If that happens in March, we are winning the title.

Reaction Score

I like what Diarra has done the past 3-4 games with his defense and setting a tone of toughness. And at the same time Joey C's shot has been off. Recency bias is in play.

There are still about 20-25 mpg available for Diarra and Joey C if starters are healthy and out of foul trouble. How those minutes are distributed will be based on flow of game and what they do when they get in the game. Obviously foul trouble or injuries would increase their usage.
Not in the stretch we're talking about though, Calcaterra has made 1 FG in the last 4 games combined. When he's on he's obviously going to get minutes, but when he's in a slump like he is now then Diarra is going to get minutes over him

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom