• 4yrs $11.5mm

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • 5yrs $15mm

Votes: 48 44.9%
  • 6yrs $19.5mm

Votes: 19 17.8%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
His age isn't a problem, he's a good coach. Even if UConn was in a position politically to make the massive kind of offer it would take to land him, they aren't in a financial situation to outbid a P5 that really wants him.

So yeah make the call, but unless he really has a desire to come back to a stop he spent 3 years a decade ago at and was demoted from OC (the only year since 2006 where he wasn't an OC or Head Coach); you work on plan 1A at the same time. Ultimately there will almost certainly be P4 schools with far greater resources that will come calling and while UConn may make an offer that sets the price to beat, they'll have the resources to beat it.

Reaction Score
Nostical is semi-connected but he is also delusional so I wouldn't take what he says seriously.
The difference between @Nostical and almost every other poster on this thread is at least he's semi-connected.

Reaction Score
Joe Morehead is originally from the Pittsburgh area and if the opportunity arises (and Narduzzi is faltering) he'd be a good candidate for the Panthers, even though his daughter is enrolled at Oregon.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
We’re not getting JM, we’re not pursuing him. We’re looking for a youthful HC who can relentlessly recruit, energize the fan base, encourage donations and win. He can hire the OC DC that helps with the winning part. The HC must be the standout personality. Offer him and his key assistants substantial raises over their current situations, then factor in the right cultural fit, and you’ll have your man. He’s out there.
It is athletic director malpractice not to reach out to Moorhead. That doesn’t change the fact that the answer will likely be, thanks, but no thanks, but we are absolutely going to reach out to him.

Reaction Score
I gotta admit....out of all of Diaco's faults, I didn't think being a tool was one of them.
Remember, this was a headcoach that referred to his offense "as those guys over there". The signs were certainly there.

Reaction Score
CAMPBELL 72 PRESBYTERIAN 0

that was fun ... what's the next game we are gonna play after Kevin Kelley

Reaction Score
If Moorhead does not come our way, Luke Getsy, the QB/WR coach with the Packers would be the next best fit imo. Getsy was Moorhead's OC at Mississippi State, as well as played QB under Moorhead in college at Akron.

Getsy is young, would need an experienced staff around him but he has been coaching Aaron Rodgers for the past few years in Green Bay and has northeast roots. Would be a risky, outside the box hire but he looks primed to take a leap forward as a coach soon.

Reaction Score
Lol. The next head coach will get $1.5 —- max. Assistant pool will probably be around $2M.
If they could go $3m for a coach, and say $3-4m for coaches. That would be a pretty good haul.

think about this. The men’s and women’s top basketball assistant coaches all make more than any other coach besides head coach on the UConn FB staff.
Remember, Bob Diaco was slated to make $2.1 million in 2020.

The average HC salaries and highest known salary by conference (somewhat estimated):

Big 12: $4 million with highest of $6.5 million
AAC: $2 million with highest at $3.8 million
MWC: $1.3 million with highest of $1.9 million
MAC: $600k with the highest of $1.2 million

That kind of puts the parameters around what the market is paying.

If UConn hires an up and coming coach, the pay could be $1.5 million or even less depending on what he is making now. If UConn hires a more accomplished coach, I think the pay could be $2 to $2.5 million. If someone like Joe Moorhead is interested in the job, you find a way to pay him to make it happen.

Reaction Score
Remember, Bob Diaco was slated to make $2.1 million in 2020.

The average HC salaries and highest known salary by conference (somewhat estimated):

Big 12: $4 million with highest of $6.5 million
AAC: $2 million with highest at $3.8 million
MWC: $1.3 million with highest of $1.9 million
MAC: $600k with the highest of $1.2 million

That kind of puts the parameters around what the market is paying.

If UConn hires an up and coming coach, the pay could be $1.5 million or even less depending on what he is making now. If UConn hires a more accomplished coach, I think the pay could be $2 to $2.5 million. If someone like Joe Moorhead is interested in the job, you find a way to pay him to make it happen.
UConn doesn't have the money to do this.

Reaction Score
If Moorhead does not come our way, Luke Getsy, the QB/WR coach with the Packers would be the next best fit imo. Getsy was Moorhead's OC at Mississippi State, as well as played QB under Moorhead in college at Akron.

Getsy is young, would need an experienced staff around him but he has been coaching Aaron Rodgers for the past few years in Green Bay and has northeast roots. Would be a risky, outside the box hire but he looks primed to take a leap forward as a coach soon.

Of course you make the call to Moorhead

Because it makes a very warm call when YOU start talking Getsy and Breiner and any other solid young star rising. Moorhead HAS to be called. But we shouldn't expect that we have either the Platform or the Do-Re-Me for a fit at this time. You call because you are a charming David Benedict and it becomes a great conversation that advances you - maybe in unexpected ways.

I think - from what we are hearing today - that a hire probably comes earlier than expected - like before November.

Reaction Score
UConn doesn't have the money to do this.
So you are saying UConn has a lower ability and/or desire to pay a football coach than 2 years ago? Business 101 says you have to invest to grow. I have no problem hiring an up and coming lower level coach and pay him $1 million if you find the right guy. That’s what Buffalo did with Liepold.

Reaction Score

Does he come with Aaron Rodgers? :)

Reaction Score
So you are saying UConn has a lower ability and/or desire to pay a football coach than 2 years ago? Business 101 says you have to invest to grow. I have no problem hiring an up and coming lower level coach and pay him $1 million if you find the right guy. That’s what Buffalo did with Liepold.
You have to read the room. No money for anything right now .

they have some leeway for a coach, but they aren’t going to massively increase how much they pay a coach with the headwinds they have budget wise.

Reaction Score
You have to read the room. No money for anything right now .

they have some leeway for a coach, but they aren’t going to massively increase how much they pay a coach with the headwinds they have budget wise.

24 out of 128 FBS programs bring in profits, all other schools lose money. Yet, we’re the only program that can’t afford more than $1m a year on a coach? Which I believe is on the low, low end of college football’s Head Coaching salary. Coastal Carolina is set to pay Chadwell $3m if he doesn’t leave, so I find that hard to believe. How come we have the money to pay Hurley $2-3m a year but we can’t afford to do that for big time football??

Reaction Score
We're the school where the press sensationalized the athletic department deficit to the point where it made national news. When the data was thrown out there with no context to get clicks, well all anyone sees is that an athletic department that is more than 40 million in the red is throwing out millions to prop up a failing football program, which furthers the whisper campaign about "cutting their losses" and dropping/de-emphasizing the program.

Basketball is the golden child, no one in Connecticut politics or in the press will say anything about the Men's or Women's Basketball programs and the deficits recorded there. They won't say anything about the contracts of Geno or Hurley for that reason as well. Football hasn't gotten good press for over a decade, as noted here there are a segment of fans who feel that it was football's fault (and not Ollie's inability to coach, but the AAC and football for forcing the school to stay in that conference), and they'll get clicks for another hit piece talking about "that disaster".

John's not wrong here... I think it's unlikely we see a big dollar amount on the contract... at least not without some story about how we got significant donations to help fund the coaching staff or otherwise prop up the salary pool. That's part of why I've said we're really looking to the NFL/P5 assistant; G5 coordinator; FCS or out of work head coach range and why I've maintained that Moorhead and other P5 coordinators and currently successful G5 head coaches (at least those with realistic options) are out of range.

Could UConn afford the money? I think so. Will UConn do it? I don't think they can politically or PR-wise.

Reaction Score
We're the school where the press sensationalized the athletic department deficit to the point where it made national news. When the data was thrown out there with no context to get clicks, well all anyone sees is that an athletic department that is more than 40 million in the red is throwing out millions to prop up a failing football program, which furthers the whisper campaign about "cutting their losses" and dropping/de-emphasizing the program.

Basketball is the golden child, no one in Connecticut politics or in the press will say anything about the Men's or Women's Basketball programs and the deficits recorded there. They won't say anything about the contracts of Geno or Hurley for that reason as well. Football hasn't gotten good press for over a decade, as noted here there are a segment of fans who feel that it was football's fault (and not Ollie's inability to coach, but the AAC and football for forcing the school to stay in that conference), and they'll get clicks for another hit piece talking about "that disaster".

John's not wrong here... I think it's unlikely we see a big dollar amount on the contract... at least not without some story about how we got significant donations to help fund the coaching staff or otherwise prop up the salary pool. That's part of why I've said we're really looking to the NFL/P5 assistant; G5 coordinator; FCS or out of work head coach range and why I've maintained that Moorhead and other P5 coordinators and currently successful G5 head coaches (at least those with realistic options) are out of range.

Could UConn afford the money? I think so. Will UConn do it? I don't think they can politically or PR-wise.
If football is driving the bus...no need to talk about the passengers.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You have to read the room. No money for anything.
Maybe instead, read the financials? 2019 financials

UConn had, last I looked, about $350M in cash and cash equivalents. That's not income, that's cash on hand. I suspect that can come up with $6M-$10M for the football coaching staff, whether or not they choose to is a different issue, but saying that UConn doesn't have the money is flat out wrong.

Reaction Score
24 out of 128 FBS programs bring in profits, all other schools lose money. Yet, we’re the only program that can’t afford more than $1m a year on a coach? Which I believe is on the low, low end of college football’s Head Coaching salary. Coastal Carolina is set to pay Chadwell $3m if he doesn’t leave, so I find that hard to believe. How come we have the money to pay Hurley $2-3m a year but we can’t afford to do that for big time football??
That's a great question. UConn pays basketball coaches much more money including assistant basketball coaches more than football assistants. That's the crux of the issue in Storrs.

Randy, is that you? LOL. Been a problem for a long time. Randy had to give back salary to get John Dunn a raise.

Reaction Score

UConn had, last I looked, about $350M in cash and cash equivalents. That's not income, that's cash on hand. I suspect that can come up with $6M-$10M for the football coaching staff, whether or not they choose to is a different issue, but saying that UConn doesn't have the money is flat out wrong.
They have a $40M dollar budget gap. Now, we all know that a lot of that is internal charges and charge offs, but revenue has cratered and the program has a lot of money tied up in leaving AAC and entering Big East. The revenue from football has cratered over the years. Even at $5 tickets they can't get 30K in the place. The program just cut sports and you guys want to give the football coach north of $3M?

That is not going to happen. My guess is $1.5M max.

Reaction Score

CL82, that is $350M for the entire university. That isn't for the athletic department. They are getting squeezed and penny-pinched. They have debt service, Covid-19 issues, I don't even want to go into it. Athletics takes $40M a year in institutional support. They probably want to cut that in half if possible.

UConn's undergone a building boom in athletics too. Unless the Foundation comes up with the money I just don't see it. There is no political will on the BOT to pay that for a football coach. And, the president of the school is interim. How is the AD going to get approval to double the coach spend? It isn't like they have money lying around in the budget.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom