Joe Fulks (KY) and Anna Makurat (Poland) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Joe Fulks (KY) and Anna Makurat (Poland)

Reaction Score
It didn't help that Rick Barry was the world

It didn't help that Rick was the world's greatest ref baiter/complainer. He started at warmups and never stopped ragging the refs. I once saw him go up for a layup while complaining to the ref about a foul, make the shot, and continue complaining during the and one. Rick was not a team player and he always made sure he got his requisite number of shots. After he retired I think he wore that wig to the shower. The minute he said Bill Russell had a "watermelon smile" I crossed him of my relevant list.
If you looked up the word "selfish" in the dictionary Rick Barry's picture would be next to it. His team mates disliked him and he played to the press and they fawned over him. The running joke was that when he retired that not only would there not be any players from his team but that the bulk of the audience would be from the Associated Press.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Yeah Rick was no saint, much like many of today's NBA players. But it was a joy to watch him play the game and, likewise, listen to him analyze the game in the broadcast booth .. very astute IMO.
Oh yeah, I agree it was fun to watch him play. After all, he played for my beloved Nets. He was however universally regarded as thinking he was God's gift to basketball and a vainglorious, inveterate jerk. Even by his sons.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, I agree it was fun to watch him play. After all, he played for my beloved Nets. He was however universally regarded as thinking he was God's gift to basketball and a vainglorious, inveterate jerk. Even by his sons.
Everyone has their detractors. Even Abraham Lincoln had detractors, like all those who lived below the Mason-Dixon line, eh? ;)
I don't pay them much mind. I prefer to go by what I saw [on the court] and what I heard [from the broadcast booth] and I admire Rick for both.
In matters like this, I always invoke 'Occam's Razor' - it keeps life simple...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Everyone has their detractors. Even Abraham Lincoln had detractors, like all those who lived below the Mason-Dixon line, eh? ;)
I don't pay them much mind. I prefer to go by what I saw [on the court] and what I heard [from the broadcast booth] and I admire Rick for both.
In matters like this, I always invoke 'Occam's Razor' - it keeps life simple...
I once met Jefffrey Dahmer. He seemed a really nice guy. He never used a razor of any kind on me.

Reaction Score
"Jumpin Joe" Fulks
he was a record setting scorer.
His link to Anna? A certain smoothness in his game, which can readily be observed in Anna's play. She has that same smoothness. .
Could be records in her future that might parallel those set by "Jumpin Joe" himself. Surely both play a smooth game.

:) :) :) :cool: (Just couldn't help myself after tonight)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Let me know when Anna is regularly compared to Luca Doncic. ;)

I did not realize when I wrote this that I would be setting my sights too low. Let me know when Doncic is compared to Anna. :D:D:D

Reaction Score
PURDUKE: Oh yeh. Some great teams out there in the Pittsburgh area, not to mention one of the great names, Sihugo Green. Do you remember or have connection with those teams around early and mid 1950's? Guys like Green, the Ricketts brothers (star Dick and lesser known Dave?), Chuck Cooper. You have any direct connection to Purdue?

Winlots: Was away for a bit. You could probably qualify as a charter member of The Dukes Court with your knowledge of the Dukes' Golden Era. I'm too "young" to have seen any of that fun but was visiting campus looking at colleges the night the Dukes beat Austin Carr and his Irish the game right before they ended UCLA's winning streak later that week. The Irish had literally just beaten a #2 Marquette team earlier that week and had UCLA next game up -- so it was sort of a trap game but that team with Mickey Davis, Jarrett Durham and the Nelson twins inside was probably the last of the Dukes Top-10 type teams. The old Igloo was rocking that night. About the best we could muster when I was on campus was beating a #2 Providence team when they had Ernie D, Marvin "Bad News" Barnes (a very well earned nickname) and Kevin Stacom.

You know what I miss most from those days is the combination of having really talented upper-classmen who had been well coached and knew how to play the game, and the talent to really play it well. All of this one and done stuff has gutted the great men's matchups in college ball these days. I think that was what opened me up to enjoying the UConn women. If you told me when I was in high school that I would eventually enjoy watching the women's game more than the men's I would have laughed in your face. But having grown up playing what we would have called "Catholic League" basketball at the time makes me just appreciate what Geno has been able to accomplish with so many of his teams.

No ties to Purdue other than having gotten my Masters there, and getting the calls for my annual alumni contribution. Matter of fact, I just got my call while I was typing this. ;)

Reaction Score
Winlots: Was away for a bit. You could probably qualify as a charter member of The Dukes Court with your knowledge of the Dukes' Golden Era. I'm too "young" to have seen any of that fun but was visiting campus looking at colleges the night the Dukes beat Austin Carr and his Irish the game right before they ended UCLA's winning streak later that week. The Irish had literally just beaten a #2 Marquette team earlier that week and had UCLA next game up -- so it was sort of a trap game but that team with Mickey Davis, Jarrett Durham and the Nelson twins inside was probably the last of the Dukes Top-10 type teams. The old Igloo was rocking that night. About the best we could muster when I was on campus was beating a #2 Providence team when they had Ernie D, Marvin "Bad News" Barnes (a very well earned nickname) and Kevin Stacom.

You know what I miss most from those days is the combination of having really talented upper-classmen who had been well coached and knew how to play the game, and the talent to really play it well. All of this one and done stuff has gutted the great men's matchups in college ball these days. I think that was what opened me up to enjoying the UConn women. If you told me when I was in high school that I would eventually enjoy watching the women's game more than the men's I would have laughed in your face. But having grown up playing what we would have called "Catholic League" basketball at the time makes me just appreciate what Geno has been able to accomplish with so many of his teams.

No ties to Purdue other than having gotten my Masters there, and getting the calls for my annual alumni contribution. Matter of fact, I just got my call while I was typing this. ;)
I was at Brooklyn Tech in the 50s and we routinely got crushed by [then] Boys High school and Si Green .. soon to be followed by Boys' most famous, Connie Hawkins .. the Hawk had a history in the Pittsburgh area playing his best years for the Pittsburgh Condors bcuz of his implication in the Jack Molinas scandal
PURDUKE: Oh yeh. Some great teams out there in the Pittsburgh area, not to mention one of the great names, Sihugo Green. Do you remember or have connection with those teams around early and mid 1950's? Guys like Green, the Ricketts brothers (star Dick and lesser known Dave?), Chuck Cooper. You have any direct connection to Purdue?
I was at Brooklyn Tech in the 50s and we routinely got crushed by [then] Boys High school and Si Green .. soon to be followed by Boys' most famous, Connie Hawkins .. the Hawk had a history in the Pittsburgh area playing his best years for the Pittsburgh Condors bcuz of his implication in the Jack Molinas scandal

Reaction Score
Used to live near Rick and have fished with him. Was good person. Suspect he hogged ball because it gave his team best chance to score. Can't comment factually since I never followed his teams that long ago.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom