Joe Fulks (KY) and Anna Makurat (Poland) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Joe Fulks (KY) and Anna Makurat (Poland)

Reaction Score
Just a little tweak for the record, but the "small school" game was, in today's vernacular, actually a "Sweet 16" round game against Montezuma, IN. The Crispus game was the following game, would now be called the Elite 8 round. And how small was Montezuma? Total 4-year enrollment of 79 students.

Think some of the confusion is that the "Sweet 16" round of the tourney in Indiana is referred to as the Semi-State round, so the Montezuma game would have been the semi-finals of the Semi-States.

PURDUKE: Interesting. Wow, about 20 kids per class! And does your handle imply a connection to Purdue and/or perhaps Duke?

Reaction Score
Nah .. I'm from Noo Yawk.. but I luved that movie too .. esp when Jimmy sez, "I'll make it!" :)

JINGO: tried to answer this earlier but it didn't get thru for some reason. Said s..t. like "The movie was a winner, and I also go for your Noo Yawk reference; spent time in Joisey.

Reaction Score
JINGO: tried to answer this earlier but it didn't get thru for some reason. Said s..t. like "The movie was a winner, and I also go for your Noo Yawk reference; spent time in Joisey.
Noo Joisey, the Garden State .. next to Queens guys, Joisey guys are the best stickball players! :)
'Hoosiers' was as good as 'Rocky' for sports clichés and platitudes .. remember Ollie shooting his foul shots underhanded? I made my daughters shoot that that way up till the 8th grade; I told them what's good enuff for Rick Barry... haha

Reaction Score
Noo Joisey, the Garden State .. next to Queens guys, Joisey guys are the best stickball players! :)
'Hoosiers' was as good as 'Rocky' for sports clichés and platitudes .. remember Ollie shooting his foul shots underhanded? I made my daughters shoot that that way up till the 8th grade; I told them what's good enuff for Rick Barry... haha

I played at Roselle Park in Jersey, same HS as Barry, he graduated in’62, I in ‘68. We were forced to shoot foul shots underhand by Roy Dragon, the junior high school coach. Barry was the only one that I remember who stayed with that style.

Coincidentally to this thread, Barry and Bill Russell did not remotely like each other, even way before a comment Barry made about a picture of Russell flashed on the screen while Barry was part of an NBA announcing team. The comment was in very poor taste in any era, but would have made the “front page” and got him fired in a heartbeat in today’s world. A comment by the way, that Barry publicly apologized for, and Russell publicly accepted.

Barry always had an arrogant, polarizing air about him and was not very popular to say the least. Also a really, really good player back then but no one saw what was coming as far as his college and NBA/ABA career.

I remember just classic playground matchups at Sherman School between Barry and John Morrison, also from Roselle Park, who went to Seton Hall Prep, starred at Canisius, and played one year in the ABA. Another sign of different times, John gave up on the pros after one year because he could make more money outside of basketball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PURDUKE: Interesting. Wow, about 20 kids per class! And does your handle imply a connection to Purdue and/or perhaps Duke?

Sort of the combination of both worlds, although the "duke" is not the now famous Blue Devil basketball kind but rather the once-famous Duquesne Duke basketball kind.

Reaction Score
Sort of the combination of both worlds, although the "duke" is not the now famous Blue Devil basketball kind but rather the once-famous Duquesne Duke basketball kind.

PURDUKE: Oh yeh. Some great teams out there in the Pittsburgh area, not to mention one of the great names, Sihugo Green. Do you remember or have connection with those teams around early and mid 1950's? Guys like Green, the Ricketts brothers (star Dick and lesser known Dave?), Chuck Cooper. You have any direct connection to Purdue?

Reaction Score
Geez, I thought remembering old NBAers George Yardley and Slater Martin made me old. I suddenly feel like a 20 year old. FWIW, Ania does not remind me of George Yardley. She has way more hair.

COHENZONE: always good to help someone feel younger
. Re Yardley, I think back then that Detroit team was called the "Fort Wayne Zolner Pistons" but don't know why. Thinking that an owner might have been named Zolner? On Slater Martin, are you remembering him primarily for his days with the old Minneapolis Lakers? Played on a few champ teams in a great career, but longest tenure with Lakers. Could fill up the net!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
COHENZONE: always good to help someone feel younger
. Re Yardley, I think back then that Detroit team was called the "Fort Wayne Zolner Pistons" but don't know why. Thinking that an owner might have been named Zolner? On Slater Martin, are you remembering him primarily for his days with the old Minneapolis Lakers? Played on a few champ teams in a great career, but longest tenure with Lakers. Could fill up the net!
Yes, Martin in Minneapolis. I think teamed with Mikan, but of course being only a few months old at the time, my recollection is dim. Fort Wayne Pistons, Rochester Royals, Syracuse Nationals, not a league exactly built for major media markets.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score

If you're interested in small town basketball, about 10 years ago, PBS did a documentary on class C (small school) girls basketball in Montana.

They follow Twin Bridges (HS enrollment the year after this was filmed, the previous year isn't available - 100), Reed Point/Rapelje (two schools, one team - 24 & 21). Scobey (74), Rockey Boy (153), and Chester (81 - but after the merger).

The Chester coach in this video, Dustin Gordon, went on to slightly bigger Fairfield (current enrollment - 104 [could play in class C, but chooses to play up in class B]) and his girls went on a 120 win streak and between 2008 and 2017, won seven state championships and was runner-up twice. The top player during that streak, Jill Barta, went on to play (and do quite well) for Kelly Graves at Gonzaga and was drafted by the Lynx, but we all know what happens to those late-rounders.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you're interested in small town basketball, about 10 years ago, PBS did a documentary on class C (small school) girls basketball in Montana.

They follow Twin Bridges (HS enrollment the year after this was filmed, the previous year isn't available - 100), Reed Point/Rapelje (two schools, one team - 24 & 21). Scobey (74), Rockey Boy (153), and Chester (81 - but after the merger).

ARGONAUT: Thank you for that interesting post. Re Montana, your comments bring to mind a true story about a Native American team on a reservation, though I'm not sure my recall is correct. Might that description fit for one of the small schools you mention? If so, will explore that school more fully. (We have VERY close friends from the 50's who moved our there many decades ago.)

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
@winlots - Rocky Boy is one of Montana’s seven reservations, and you’ll find a passionate fan base for any of the reservation schools (and that’s true of schools on reservations across the country).

Historically, the girls basketball team at the Fort Shaw Indian Boarding School were “Champions of the World” in 1904. Fort Shaw isn’t on a reservation, but that might be the story you’re thinking of?

Another documentary for your viewing pleasure...

Reaction Score
@winlots - Rocky Boy is one of Montana’s seven reservations, and you’ll find a passionate fan base for any of the reservation schools (and that’s true of schools on reservations across the country).

Historically, the girls basketball team at the Fort Shaw Indian Boarding School were “Champions of the World” in 1904. Fort Shaw isn’t on a reservation, but that might be the story you’re thinking of?

Another documentary for your viewing pleasure...

ARGONAUT: That could well be it. . Very fascinating, including the photos et al. Viewing pleasure indeed. Thank you. What an historical treasure!
Anything in your background that promotes this wealth of knowledge?? ( As an added + you came up with something older than we are. Might be of interest to COHENZONE who was searching for youth earlier in this thread. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I played at Roselle Park in Jersey, same HS as Barry, he graduated in’62, I in ‘68. We were forced to shoot foul shots underhand by Roy Dragon, the junior high school coach. Barry was the only one that I remember who stayed with that style.

Coincidentally to this thread, Barry and Bill Russell did not remotely like each other, even way before a comment Barry made about a picture of Russell flashed on the screen while Barry was part of an NBA announcing team. The comment was in very poor taste in any era, but would have made the “front page” and got him fired in a heartbeat in today’s world. A comment by the way, that Barry publicly apologized for, and Russell publicly accepted.

Barry always had an arrogant, polarizing air about him and was not very popular to say the least. Also a really, really good player back then but no one saw what was coming as far as his college and NBA/ABA career.

I remember just classic playground matchups at Sherman School between Barry and John Morrison, also from Roselle Park, who went to Seton Hall Prep, starred at Canisius, and played one year in the ABA. Another sign of different times, John gave up on the pros after one year because he could make more money outside of basketball.
Rick Barry had a certain swagger that alienated some people but mebbe, IMO, that's part of the reason he was so good on the hardwood, one of the greatest to ever play the game.
And I have always thought him to be the greatest free-throw shooter in the game, even tho his delivery was so unorthodox, eh?
My admiration goes further since I also consider him to be the best hoops analyst to sit behing the microphone. No one comes close. His analysis and candor were always spot on and co
Yes .. Rick Barry had a certain swagger that alienated some people but mebbe, IMO, that's part of the reason he was so good on the hardwood, one of the greatest to ever play the game.
And I have always thought him to be the greatest free-throw shooter in the game, even tho his delivery was so unorthodox, eh?
My admiration goes further since I also consider him to be the best hoops analyst to sit behind the microphone. No one comes close. His analysis and candor were always spot on and completely refreshing.
I felt the same about Stacy Dales on the women's side. Her banter with Kara Lawson was also [spot on] analytical and refreshing, n'est-ce pas?
Recently I have been very partial to Eric Frede and Uconn's new courtside reporter - Maria something - has grown on me.

Reaction Score
For those of you who have brought up "swag" and/or "underhand foul shots" in here: In 9th grade, we had to shoot fouls underhand. I detested that style, AND was not very skilled in basketball at that point, having wrestled thru 8th grade. At the close of practice, the managers were required to monitor our foul shots until we made ten straight. Can still remember them, exasperated, after my consistent failure to reach the mark saying, "Holy S..., we have to get home to supper or we'll catch hell; you fill in whatever number you want." So, no swag , and no underhand foul shot.

Reaction Score
For those of you who have brought up "swag" and/or "underhand foul shots" in here: In 9th grade, we had to shoot fouls underhand. I detested that style, AND was not very skilled in basketball at that point, having wrestled thru 8th grade. At the close of practice, the managers were required to monitor our foul shots until we made ten straight. Can still remember them, exasperated, after my consistent failure to reach the mark saying, "Holy S..., we have to get home to supper or we'll catch hell; you fill in whatever number you want." So, no swag , and no underhand foul shot.
Haha .. good story!

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
@winlots - I spent three lovely winters going to college in Montana and dated a gentleman whose dad spent 30 years coaching in class C. I learned a lot from them and from just being interested in the sport and their passion for it.

I bet @RockyMTblue2 probably has some insight on this, too!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
@winlots - I spent three lovely winters going to college in Montana and dated a gentleman whose dad spent 30 years coaching in class C. I learned a lot from them and from just being interested in the sport and their passion for it.

I bet @RockyMTblue2 probably has some insight on this, too!

BBBRRRRRRRRRR.....

Reaction Score
STEELERONE: warm smile here on that. Hailing from the Appalachians, would enjoy taking them on another mountain tour. DIdn't know you were in CT. You go back to Lambert and Ham and Mean Joe and Swan?
In Ct., from the "Burgh". Lived across the street from Danny Marino and still angry the Steeler's didn't draft him when he was available. Lambert became a game warden outside Pittsburgh after he retired. Joe Green's most famous saying was "Jack Lambert doesn't even like himself".

Reaction Score
In Ct., from the "Burgh". Lived across the street from Danny Marino and still angry the Steeler's didn't draft him when he was available. Lambert became a game warden outside Pittsburgh after he retired. Joe Green's most famous saying was "Jack Lambert doesn't even like himself".
[/QUOT

STEELERONE: BIG laugh on that Green comment; Burgh talk for sure. Interesting about game warden et al. Thank you.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It didn't help that Rick Barry was the world
Rick Barry had a certain swagger that alienated some people but mebbe, IMO, that's part of the reason he was so good on the hardwood, one of the greatest to ever play the game.
My admiration goes further since I also consider him to be the best hoops analyst to sit behing the microphone. No one comes close. His analysis and candor were always spot on and co

Yes .. Rick Barry had a certain swagger that alienated some people but mebbe, IMO, that's part of the reason he was so good on the hardwood, one of the greatest to ever play the game.
My admiration goes further since I also consider him to be the best hoops analyst to sit behind the microphone. No one comes close. His analysis and candor were always spot on and completely refreshing.
I felt the same about Stacy Dales on the women's side. Her banter with Kara Lawson was also [spot on] analytical and refreshing, n'est-ce pas?
Recently I have been very partial to Eric Frede and Uconn's new courtside reporter - Maria something - has grown on me.
It didn't help that Rick was the world's greatest ref baiter/complainer. He started at warmups and never stopped ragging the refs. I once saw him go up for a layup while complaining to the ref about a foul, make the shot, and continue complaining during the and one. Rick was not a team player and he always made sure he got his requisite number of shots. After he retired I think he wore that wig into the shower. The minute he said Bill Russell had a "watermelon smile" I crossed him of my relevant list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It didn't help that Rick Barry was the world

It didn't help that Rick was the world's greatest ref baiter/complainer. He started at warmups and never stopped ragging the refs. I once saw him go up for a layup while complaining to the ref about a foul, make the shot, and continue complaining during the and one. Rick was not a team player and he always made sure he got his requisite number of shots. After he retired I think he wore that wig to the shower. The minute he said Bill Russell had a "watermelon smile" I crossed him of my relevant list.
Yeah Rick was no saint, much like many of today's NBA players. But it was a joy to watch him play the game and, likewise, listen to him analyze the game in the broadcast booth .. very astute IMO.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom