Jimmy Dykes new coach at Arkansas (merged) | The Boneyard

Jimmy Dykes new coach at Arkansas (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, the ESPN analyst.

He's a good analyst and I've heard him do some wcbb games. Also think he was an asst for men at Kentucky years ago. He's very energetic and passionate, so can see coaching potential.

But still, he's been at ESPN for 15+ years. Wonder a bit about someone who's been out of coaching for so long.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I think this is a good hire. Dykes lives in the Arkansas area and is a charismatic man.

He should do good things there.

Reaction Score

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Reminds me of hiring Hudson.. and then Curry.

Clearly, the lesson is don't eat oysters in months that have an "r" and don't play on teams that start with an "A"

Reaction Score
I just saw this. Who were the other people in the running for this coaching job? I have no problem with this hire. You figure he graduated from Arkansas, lives in the area, and offers low risk-high reward, I see this as a good hire. Who knows what can happen.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Who knows who else was in the running -- and maybe hiring an ex-analyst who's never been a college head coach, and has only been an assistant on the men's side (6 teams, six years) is a good choice. But it kinda makes me go huh?

Reaction Score
Who knows who else was in the running -- and maybe hiring an ex-analyst who's never been a college head coach, and has only been an assistant on the men's side (6 teams, six years) is a good choice. But it kinda makes me go huh?
Yeah, Arsenio Hall moment ("Hmmmm...").

"...Despite his lack of coaching in the women's game, Long said in a statement that Dykes is "the best leader for our women's program." Long also mentioned Arkansas is currently in discussions with Bobby Petrino about Petrino returning as head football coach. Said Long, "Bobby is just the best leader for our football program."

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Ah now I see what kind of leaders they're looking for:

Arkansas fired coach Bobby Petrino on Tuesday and scathingly dressed him down for hiring his mistress and intentionally misleading his boss about their secret relationship that was laid bare by her presence at a motorcycle accident that ultimately cost him his job.

Reaction Score
Ah now I see what kind of leaders they're looking for:

Arkansas fired coach Bobby Petrino on Tuesday and scathingly dressed him down for hiring his mistress and intentionally misleading his boss about their secret relationship that was laid bare by her presence at a motorcycle accident that ultimately cost him his job.
Well, they fired him for that a couple years ago, but it might have been on a Tuesday. By then he had already earned a reputation as a jobhopper and constantly interviewing secretly with other teams despite giving his assurances that. "__(current job)__ is my home and I will never leave here..." on the same day. He's now the football coach at Louisville, who hired him BACK after he did that to them, quit the Atlanta Falcons coaching job in midseason, and had the Arkansas debacle.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I hope Dykes does a great job at Arkansas.... just to shut the naysayers up............... especially that Flynn dude from Philly. Surprised he put down his fork long enough to tweet that.

had to edit:... didnt want to get put in time-out by the mods

Reaction Score
I hope Dykes does a great job at Arkansas.... just to shut the naysayers up..... especially that Flynn dude from Philly. Surprised he put down his fork long enough to tweet that.

had to edit:... didnt want to get put in time-out by the mods
You're a jerk.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You're a jerk.

Sad-Dog-Pictures-3.jpg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
OK, well, that made me laugh.

As a fellow hefty male.... I feel I can poke fun on others who are fairly hefty themselves. Trust me.. I dont miss too many meals...and when I do... I definitely make up for it.... :oops:

But anyway.... I'll miss Dykes as an analyst... enjoyed his work... he definitely has his work cut out for him. Arkansas is probably the 12 or 13th best job in the SEC ??

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not going to trash him until he deserves it.

I thought he was an intelligent commentator (they are somewhat rare), of course he didn't do all that many women's games.

To be honest, I've always been curious how a commentator who sees a lot of games would do as a coach, now we will have an example.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to trash him until he deserves it.

I thought he was an intelligent commentator (they are somewhat rare), of course he didn't do all that many women's games.

To be honest, I've always been curious how a commentator who sees a lot of games would do as a coach, now we will have an example.

Exactly. I am willing to give the guy a chance before I throw him under the bus. I hope he does well. Of course in this crazy game, well means what nowadays? I mean folks get itchy when you do not make the NCAAs but go 20-8 for the season. Or if you have been at the school for 8 years and you have only made it out of the 1st round once. So well means different things to a lot of people. So I wish him well.

Reaction Score
I don't think people are against Dykes; the disappointment is with Arkansas.

Their choice
- has never coached women's basketball
- has never been a head coach of any sport
- has not coached in 15 years

And this is for a top 50 job.

I'm sure some of the people who are upset are thinking: "this would never happen in a male sport."

Reaction Score
If he already is familiar with the team and school I don't see any reason why he can't do well. I thought Arkansas had a good team this year but they screwed up in the conference tournament when they led by 10 with 3 minutes left and lost. I don't think their best player got a decent shot during that 3 minutes.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't think people are against Dykes; the disappointment is with Arkansas.

Their choice
- has never coached women's basketball
- has never been a head coach of any sport
- has not coached in 15 years

And this is for a top 50 job.

I'm sure some of the people who are upset are thinking: "this would never happen in a male sport."
Check out the GM that Cleveland hired a year ago and then fired at the end of the season. But I agree with the sentiment.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think that is a nicely measured response. Surprise and disappointment, but not pre-judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom