Jim Mora: Something feels different | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora: Something feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You really think going 6-6 in the MAC or C-USA with 15k in attendance will be a good look for the university?

I don’t think we will go 6-6 in either.

We’re in an awkward position. We can be patient and see if an ACC opportunity arises, at the risk that football pretty much croaks while we wait.

But if we get engaged with some G5 maybe it does sone other sort of harm.

Either way we are in a bad sort of limbo. And it seems like the HC has lost all enthusiasm.

Where is the leadership?

I have heard murmurs of some recent ACC talks. So stay tuned.

Reaction Score

We’re in an awkward position. We can be patient and see if an ACC opportunity arises, at the risk that football pretty much croaks while we wait.

Either way we are in a bad sort of limbo. And it seems like the HC has lost all enthusiasm.

Where is the leadership?

I agree that we are in an awkward position but feel like there is much more upside waiting the ACC out than just jumping at the first opportunity we get. In 2-3 years, there might be enough movement to have an Eastern football conference not too dissimilar to the old big east.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Shocked Amy Poehler GIF by NBC

Reaction Score
Re posts about Mora quitting (really quitting, not quiet quitting), his contract runs through Dec. 31, 2026 so how can he do that?

Reaction Score
Don't we need a partner? And wouldn't that be the same with the Big 12?
If we're talking about when the ACC breaks up, that could take a long time, if it even happens.

Reaction Score
We are working our way back. In some ways 2022 put extra pressure on Mora in that expectations were the highest they’ve been for last year. I spoke to long time fans who expected us to win 8-9 games including beating both NC State and BC.

Funny someone mentioned joining the Mountain West. It’s pretty unlikely but if it were closer, it would be a pretty decent match, I think. We seem to play MWC games, I think with a boost from CBSSN who also carries them. None in 2024, but we play Wyoming next year I think It no weirder a concept than Gonzaga joining the NEWBIE for basketball that Fox was pushing for a while. Not happening, but intriguing idea none the less. 4 road games would be tough.
I expected us to be a lot better and was really disappointed. I thought the defense was the biggest letdown as offense was a gong show both years.

I thought 8 was achievable. I admit I don't know enough but anybody who thought it was just that easy... I don't know man.

Reaction Score
Part of it is Mora is definitely taking a lower profile. Why that is, is not known. I have a theory and it’s one that I will keep to myself.

The other part is that Dan Hurley has been busy breaking college basketball and the media is rightly fixated on that.
I honestly don't know what's up with Jim hanging back but I think letting basketball carry all the momentum right now is the correct thing. We are deep into spring practices right now and I assure you there is likely a lot of football stuff going on right now and the program needs to transition from the end of that season back into football while the chatter is hot right now for the sake of the entire program that isn't basketball.

Reaction Score

Where is the leadership?

The ACC almost seems like a deal with the devil at this point. You almost have to do it but then you're in a dead conference. What do we do after half of the conference or more leaves?

Reaction Score
I agree that we are in an awkward position but feel like there is much more upside waiting the ACC out than just jumping at the first opportunity we get. In 2-3 years, there might be enough movement to have an Eastern football conference not too dissimilar to the old big east.
There's no awkward position as long as there's clear out clauses either the MAC and so on accept that reality or they don't. I'd be very open about this.

Reaction Score
Re posts about Mora quitting (really quitting, not quiet quitting), his contract runs through Dec. 31, 2026 so how can he do that?
If basketball runs the bus could it be that he was told not to post anything? Reality is UConn is the last part of his legacy. If he truly is hanging back my guess is somebody pissed him off royally

Edit: here's a thought. Is it possible hurley said something to Mora to piss him off. Now I could see that setting things up and Hurley is a high ego guy.

Reaction Score
If basketball runs the bus could it be that he was told not to post anything? Reality is UConn is the last part of his legacy. If he truly is hanging back my guess is somebody pissed him off royally

Edit: here's a thought. Is it possible hurley said something to Mora to piss him off. Now I could see that setting things up and Hurley is a high ego guy.
Maybe even the lack of reciprocation. Mora is very involved, and from what I've seen goes to events for every kind of men's and women's sport, gives constant shout-outs to athletes even from less known sports and to the coaches, and the response and reciprocation has always seemed tepid. He probably would love it if all the other coaches were plugging for him in the same manner. I imagine he thought he was buying into a community and sometimes feels like he's on an island.

Reaction Score
There's no awkward position as long as there's clear out clauses either the MAC and so on accept that reality or they don't. I'd be very open about this.
Yeah, as a fan that would be my preferred route.

Join the MAC for football only while maintaining the flexibility to join a Power conference if the situation arises. It gives us something to play for, a chance to actually have rivalries and familiarity with our opponents. It'd be fun to be in the conversation for conference championships and such. If we do manage to become a higher end team in the MAC, I imagine our prospects for a power conference invite would improve significantly. And if the invite never comes at least we'd have a home for our football team instead of this limbo we're currently stuck in.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score

Really ? lol no

Reaction Score
Yeah, as a fan that would be my preferred route.

Join the MAC for football only while maintaining the flexibility to join a Power conference if the situation arises. It gives us something to play for, a chance to actually have rivalries and familiarity with our opponents. It'd be fun to be in the conversation for conference championships and such. If we do manage to become a higher end team in the MAC, I imagine our prospects for a power conference invite would improve significantly. And if the invite never comes at least we'd have a home for our football team instead of this limbo we're currently stuck in.
I agree... but problem is everybody wants it all... without the work put in ... over the years we dealt with so many obsticles with FBS football (a lot self inflicted in our early years IMHO... we didn't invest financially the way we should've in the beginning.... lack of Admin knowledge about what we got ourselves into)...
I think we should take what we can get right now too... If we're truly investing in the product (talent, coaching, etc...) now, it will show... and we probably end up where we should've been all along thereafter (P4/P5) across the board... Gotta be a little more patient... But, we definitely MUST show we can win on the football field now.. Doesn't necessarily need to look pretty (a win's a win).... Gotta move the needle on the W-L records moving forward... no more hills then valleys right after... keep climbing...

Reaction Score
Purdue had a great year and lost to the better team.
How about using your influence to get UConn into the B1G? Not trying to give you a hard time, just desperately hoping that the league will, sooner than later, see what it's missing.

I keep beating this drum............the B1G doesn't win anything of note very often and eventually will lose TV eyeballs as frustration with poor outcomes grows.

Football titles? In the last 25 years there was Ohio State in 2002 and 2014 plus Michigan in 2024. That's it. Hype beyond belief every year has resulted in them winning 12% of the last 25 titles.

Men's basketball? UConn has won six titles in the last 25 years, including five since a B1G team (MSU) last won one.

Women's basketball? UConn has won ten titles in the last 25 years and the B1G? Zero.

Those are the three highest profile sports and B1G teams have won 4 of 75 potential titles in the last 25 years.

If the league truly wants to be recognized as great they need to win something besides an occasional football championship.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Heading into spring I think there is just almost an overwhelming amount of things to get done and possibly change with new subordinates, players etc. See what comes out of spring. Could be just spending his time puking in the wastebasket instead of posting.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I now think Mora is just laying low in hopes of building up some buzz. Maybe this is the thread he wanted for now...a diversion until the 4/21 showcase where he will grab the mic and not let go.

Reaction Score

No.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So now Hurley and Mora don't get along and Mora was given a gag order to not post on Twitter.

This thread has gone full boneyard. You never go full boneyard.
THIS ^^^

This is the most Boneyard thread I've seen in at least 5 years. We are so accustomed to getting kicked in the stones, that we start to panic if we haven't been kicked in a while.

The man is getting multiple staff members on board with the team and multiple new players, on top of any recruit reviewing (hs and portal), on top of Spring training.

Let the man work already! If I wanted a coach that was simply an awesome cheerleader, I would have asked for Diaco back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom