Jim Mora: Something feels different | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora: Something feels different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where are these rumors coming from? I hadn’t heard it, and it does seem like a step down from where he is now. Although his stock is as high as it’s ever been, maybe ASU is offering him a hefty raise? We can’t let him go!
Arizona’s 2 largest universities need an athletic director: Here’s a list of AD candidates
Jan 24, 2024, 7:55 AM

David Benedict, UConn director of athletics

Benedict served as associate athletic director for development at Arizona State, working there from 1996-2006. He held positions at Long Beach State (2007-10) and then Virginia Commonwealth (2010-12) before working as deputy AD at Minnesota (2012-14).

Benedict was COO at Auburn from 2015-16.

He then landed at UConn, where he’s overseen the building of new facilities for the baseball, softball and hockey programs.

He also oversaw a return to the Big East from the AAC in 2020 while managing an FBS independent football team. UConn has already been heavily involved in potential realignment — it was linked to the Big 12 before the Arizona schools joined — so that gives Benedict recent experience navigating the changing NCAA waters.

Benedict’s background in developing plans for growth and improvements at a variety of landing spots should put him on ASU’s radar.

Oh, and he is a Tempe native, and his wife Lisa was a two-time NCAA champion gymnast at ASU.

Reaction Score
Part of it is Mora is definitely taking a lower profile. Why that is, is not known. I have a theory and it’s one that I will keep to myself.

The other part is that Dan Hurley has been busy breaking college basketball and the media is rightly fixated on that.

Reaction Score
I’ve been waiting for news to drop that we have a new OC. I suspected that Mora might then quietly exit for “personal reasons” and the new OC would be named HC. That would keep the staff intact. Its hard to see him sticking around too long as he disassociates with us on social media. Weird.

Reaction Score
I suspected that Mora might then quietly exit for “personal reasons” and the new OC would be named HC. That would keep the staff intact. Its hard to see him sticking around too long as he disassociates with us on social media. Weird.
Don't know what to make of it either and I didn't even know he dropped Uconn Football from his twitter profile ( ???) until I read about in this thread. Especially as active as he was with Uconn stuff on social media the first couple years. Now he just mentions C. Hayes, a few WBB players and not even a re-tweet on Men's hoops (which he had from time to time) & the national championship. Unless he's in the STFU and win mode for his under acheiving FB team, but who knows ???

PS he does have his Mora Camp series retweet though...

Reaction Score
Nope, can’t do that, gotta tell us now. What’s your theory

Between the Big 12 not panning out, the awful season, not really getting any traction in the portal despite getting some and having nothing to really compete as an Indy; Jim Mora is pretty much disenchanted and disengaged.

Independence is a death sentence.

Reaction Score
Between the Big 12 not panning out, the awful season, not really getting any traction in the portal despite getting some and having nothing to really compete as an Indy; Jim Mora is pretty much disenchanted and disengaged.

Yeah I could totally see that. I’d imagine he’s gotta feel like he was sold on something that was never possible in the first place, but painted in a way that would get him to commit to coaching at UConn. Maybe what he was sold on was possible for a sliver of time but now it’s gone. Either way though, “hard things are hard” and he has a job to do

Reaction Score
That’s why I’ve been advocating getting into a conference for football. Any freaking conference. You have something to compete for. This mismash we are doing now is brutal. People want to play 6 P4 teams a year are nuts. I’d talk to the AAC. New leadership might bring a different view, maybe explore a scheduling alliance with the ACC even since we play multiple teams a way. Talk to the Sunbelt and CUSA. But even BYU was unsatisfied with independence. For us it is not a solution.

Reaction Score
That’s why I’ve been advocating getting into a conference for football. Any freaking conference. You have something to compete for. This mismash we are doing now is brutal. People want to play 6 P4 teams a year are nuts. I’d talk to the AAC. New leadership might bring a different view, maybe explore a scheduling alliance with the ACC even since we play multiple teams a way. Talk to the Sunbelt and CUSA. But even BYU was unsatisfied with independence. For us it is not a solution.

Yes. But scheduling 4 automatic losses a season is what we need according to this place.

Reaction Score
DB told Mora he would get him into a P-Conf. When he becomes AD at ASU he will hire Mora as the FB coach. That way he can keep this promise. Once again only UC football gets left behind.
You are making a lot of assumptions here. It is clear that some members of the ACC will likely leave and the conference appears to be sympathetic to UConn this time because there are not a lot of other options.

Reaction Score
DB told Mora he would get him into a P-Conf. When he becomes AD at ASU he will hire Mora as the FB coach. That way he can keep this promise. Once again only UC football gets left behind.
Dave is not going to become the AD at ASU.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'd take 3 to 4 more years of independence and then decide. I see no value rushing to become football only in the MAC or CUSA or AAC. And none will have us.

If Mora wants to move on, thats fine. I'll take Sammis as interim HC and Robbins as the new OC. with people that value the opportunity.

Reaction Score
Jim Mora is pretty much disenchanted and disengaged.
I'd say the first of these 2 is even more of a death sentence. I think all of us who supported this program for years have been kicked in the nuts, by CR way more than Mora has, but we've still donated and supported it. But as posted above, Mora's quote "hard things are hard” and his job isn't for chump change. So if he doesn't like the job, he should take a hike. And finally bring in a HC that wants to play offense and pass the frickin' ball, like normal teams in CFB, especially as an independent, instead of his grind it out snooze fest style. What is there to lose at this point ?
You really think going 6-6 in the MAC or C-USA with 15k in attendance will be a good look for the university?
Good call absoulutnely not
To me the CAL, Stanford and then a small time school/AD with big pocket donors, SMU, buying their way into the ACC was an even worse a kick, than the Big 12. Even still I had upped my season tix to 6 last year since alot of friends ( sports fans in general not just Uconn fans )
were all in after a little life by the program the year before. Especially the ACC games.

Then with Mora coaching as though he wanted to grind out 17-14 games ( even down 3 TD's, SMH !), I couldn't give my tickets away and I've finally dropped em' after 25 years. So now I'm in the STFU and win mode. But never for the MAC or C-USA. If that's the case they can probably move FB back on campus for the hopeless romatics ;) ...to Morrone of course !

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The language blocker deleted my "let's freakkin go" in the above.

So let me try again; "I'll take Sammis as interim HC and Robbins as the new OC. let's move forward with people that value the opportunity.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Jim Mora is pretty much disenchanted and disengaged.

He's basically quiet quitting us. He gave Nika props for her coverage in the WBB Final Four game, but no mention of the men's victory performance in the MBB championship (I don't use social media and only briefly scanned his Instagram and Twitter). That's nonsense, but I guess if your house is on fire you don't advertise it as a warm place to live.

Reaction Score
Did Mora post anything to congratulate the Hoops team on great win and season?

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Did Mora post anything to congratulate the Hoops team on great win and season?
The Big Ten never had a shot at winning the NCAA title. No point in obsessing over the champions after the fact.

Reaction Score
Definitely have noticed Mora change on socials which I know we shouldn't read into this, but I cant help agree with everyone here that he seems discouraged. It seems like he's slowly disassociating with our program just in case this next year is bad, then he might be done here.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
He's basically quiet quitting us. He gave Nika props for her coverage in the WBB Final Four game, but no mention of the men's victory performance in the MBB championship (I don't use social media and only briefly scanned his Instagram and Twitter). That's nonsense, but I guess if your house is on fire you don't advertise it as a warm place to live.
This is alarming....he usually comments on the accomplishments of EVERY sports team in our AD. Couple this with removing UConn from social accounts and I have a bad feeling that an announcement will soon be following at some point.

I also noticed he isn't shown in any of the clips shared on Twitter. Usually the coaches are shown pumping up the kids. Nothing but single plays here and there are shown now instead. Pretty huge step back from the massive leap forward in our social media presence.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? NFW, quiet quitting?? A Football Coach from a FB family. This can't be real. Had been so focused on hoops didn't really pick up on this stuff until I read this thread. Well, lets hope for STFU and win mode, not quiet quitting. Otherwise, lets go Sammis!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom