Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora Expected to be Named HC

Reaction Score
the major difference in the last 30 years is USC has become so much better as an overall academic school. UCLA has risen a little. Both have become major international anchors for so many departments - and credit that to LA as a world class city like only a dozen others. Yes - there is a race tie to being on the edge of Crenshaw + Martin Luther King Blvd; and UCLA broadens to HS deep into the Valley, San Gabriels and Ontario/Inland Empire.

You are right in concept: WE are the only Public FBS school in NE and NY basically (because I view Buffalo as a midwestern outpost).

LOL. You forgot UMass but that’s perfectly understandable — everyone else does!

Reaction Score
Would think being the head coach of the professional football team in Georgia would help at least getting a seat at the kitchen table at some recruits homes in the southeast. The football parents should know the name.

Reaction Score
If Mora hires the right Offensive Coordinator, I think the hire will go well.

PP could have succeeded at UConn, but he made one critical mistake in hiring GDL as OC and OL coach when he had Joe Moorhead as OC and Mike Foley as OL coach already on staff and he didn't quickly evaluate the roster which resulted in using a walk-on QB his first year. PP brought in better QB talent than Diaco or Edsall 2.0: 2011: Nebrich (although Edsall recruit), 2012: Chandler Whitmer (JUCO) and Casey Cochran, 2013: Tim Boyle and Richard Lagow (who soon left), but GDL was such a disaster that it ruined PP's chance for success.
Been saying this for awhile now. Pasqualoni is a great football coach, but the college game has moved on from his style. Had he hired literally anyone but GDL as OC, he would have made it to bowl games his first 2 years. Especially seeing we had Nebrich, Boyle and McCummings at one point at QB.

Reaction Score
Good to see the UConn Daily this morning expressing exactly the same concerns as me.

I guess this gets down to how relevant you think being an NFL head coach is on a coaching resume. In my view, not relevant at all unless it helps recruiting and that is highly doubtful. Totally different world.

A friend of mine posted on my newsfeed, "A west coast Pasquoloni". Yes, higher achievement on the NFL on the JM resume for whatever that is worth. But much thinner accomplishments in CFB. Yes, he had some gaudy recruiting classes at UCLA, but by the time his recruits took over the two deep, the trend was downward for wins and losses and he got let go. What does that mean?? In fact, it could be compellingly argued that Randy also had a better CFB record when he arrived the second time too.

Looking at ages, Randy recently turned 58 when he took over the second time, Mora will be 60, Pasquoloni recently turned 62. The similarities are uncanny.

My conclusion is that it will all depend on the staff Mora hires. If they are old cronies, that could be problematic. The next few weeks will be interesting. Keeping an open mind. Willing to be convinced.

Reaction Score
Now that you mention it. That is crazy he was able to talk to him for a month and spend 4 days in Idaho interviewing him without so much as a peep at it happening in this day and age.
One almost wonders if maybe the mysterious Al Golden rumor that seemed to come out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly may have been a deliberate piece of misinformation.

Reaction Score
Good to see the UConn Daily this morning expressing exactly the same concerns as me.

I guess this gets down to how relevant you think being an NFL head coach is on a coaching resume. In my view, not relevant at all unless it helps recruiting and that is highly doubtful. Totally different world.

A friend of mine posted on my newsfeed, "A west coast Pasquoloni". Yes, higher achievement on the NFL on the JM resume for whatever that is worth. But much thinner accomplishments in CFB. Yes, he had some gaudy recruiting classes at UCLA, but by the time his recruits took over the two deep, the trend was downward for wins and losses and he got let go. What does that mean?? In fact, it could be compellingly argued that Randy also had a better CFB record when he arrived the second time too.

Looking at ages, Randy recently turned 58 when he took over the second time, Mora will be 60, Pasquoloni recently turned 62. The similarities are uncanny.

My conclusion is that it will all depend on the staff Mora hires. If they are old cronies, that could be problematic. The next few weeks will be interesting. Keeping an open mind. Willing to be convinced.

Wasn’t he going through a divorce his down years at UCLA ?

Reaction Score
One almost wonders if maybe the mysterious Al Golden rumor that seemed to come out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly may have been a deliberate piece of misinformation.

I don’t think it was misinformation. Some who reported the news were not really credible but one report was credible I believe and its a short list that included Chesney, Moorhead, Golden, and Campanile, then someone ( most likely Spanos ) suggested that Mora is the best candidate to turn this ship around, Mora and Dave impressed each other so here we are.

Reaction Score
I don’t think it was misinformation. Some who reported the news were not really credible but one report was credible I believe and its a short list that included Chesney, Moorhead, Golden, and Campanile, then someone ( most likely Spanos ) suggested that Mora is the best candidate to turn this ship around, Mora and Dave impressed each other so here we are.
Timing is off… the short list came out well after AD Dave and Mora were already engaged. That short list essentially mirrors the names that came out initially when Edsall left and CFB media were trying to play connect the dots.

Reaction Score

look ... we can talk all day about your 58 or 60 or whatever - that's my age approximately. And when I go to meetings with comparably aged 60 year olds, sometimes I say ... gosh, they look old. Mora looks like a kid as he gets on that plane to Clemson,

Let me summarize the recruiting dilemma - as I see it - having a degree from BOTH UCLA and UCONN. Edsall actually - from the early 2000s - got the right formula for how UCONN (as a New England Public U) has to recruit. Connecticut kids (need more development and camps - grab phenom athleticism) and Quebec, Upstate NY Penn MD NJ and greater Mass circling Boston (incl NH). Lots of FL (20%) sprinkling in GA + TX over time. Edsall had this targeted better than PP or Diaco. The Transfer portal is a big deal and apt critique of Edsall. Then the Prep school comment from Jeff Jacobs.

Mora has to prove in his first 45 days that he gets this construct. With Spanos. And maybe a few trusted inside guys and networking. There is some UCLA ground that can be used in New England - not a lot. ALL the West Coast has Polynesian line and the JuCo in California is the best in the country now. Mora will be tested in the early days. He primarily also needs to recruit the 70 kids that need to be evaluated for the Spring competition on campus.

The major MORA spark that I see Day One ... is we instantly have a platform of interest - CBS Sportsline has to be more excited than yesterday morning. We will have TV for a few years more.

... and if he gets Mazzone, we will get a top 40 QB often. NM is known for being a Maestro of QB development and the various teaching QB instructors nationally will know to send kids to him. Moynseenko or the previous UCONN OC/QB coaching are not on the map.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dan-O loved the RE2 hire!!! how did that work out!

Still love Dan-O, but he is not objective on this, plus he works for a media company that is unfriendly to UConn. Of course, DB didn't reach out to him.

He should invite Dan-O to a one on one interview with Mora to mend some fences anyway, not that he wasn't 100% right on this. I think Dave's smart enough to do this.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He should invite Dan-O to a one on one interview with Mora to mend some fences anyway, not that he wasn't 100% right on this. I think Dave's smart enough to do this.
Or he should call Danny
1636731210908.jpeg

Reaction Score

Got a weird feeling about this. Not really happy, but not sad either. Not too keen on him being being out for so long, that’s like an eternity in cfb. I’m in total wait and see mode.

Reaction Score
Timing is off… the short list came out well after AD Dave and Mora were already engaged. That short list essentially mirrors the names that came out initially when Edsall left and CFB media were trying to play connect the dots.

We hired Parker. While the NE media has that list of ... probably speculative or even whispered meetings. Parker (* and I like to think I know how Headhunters work) would make cold calls to all their coaching clients across the country to feel them out,

I think in almost 60 days, you can expect DB had maybe 20 calls to prospective coaches - that's how you get whispers as some want to be public (or their agents want this) and some don't. My speculation is DB worked the phones heavily. Parker would have unearthed unbelievable reaches ... I would.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mora has to prove in his first 45 days that he gets this construct. With Spanos. And maybe a few trusted inside guys and networking.
And Benedict. As a resource, not a micromanager. I'm thinking they already developed their plan including identifying coaches and players during the 3 day.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When people claim to want a businessperson in politics, this is what they want. I guy who gets than governing isn't running a business but leadership always translates.
I think it took a real businessman to cut that sports betting deal. I'm still amazed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom