Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
These jobs descriptions are written like state contracts. Tailored to meet the desired product or person they want to hire. Just add in the very specific wording that eliminates others. It's easy if you pay attention to detail of the individual or product. These are not open or competitive items, they are closely controlled and designed to a desired end. The states attempt are fair hiring at upper positions does not exist. More Union controlled to meet their desired end then a fairness in hiring or buying. It is an old boy network just as it ever was.

Reaction Score
Huh? The entire purpose of these laws is because we’ve learned that if you let bosses hire based solely on networking, the bottom line is that consciously or not they are more likely to hire people like them. So if you’re telling me these laws getting others into the process don’t go far enough, we are in agreement. But why should we care less about trying to end discrimination in hiring less in coaching than for professors? I’m happy to hear an argument but you didn’t make one. You just said “these are essentially networked positions” which is just saying we don’t care because it has always been otherwise.
BL,

Are these positions open or not? They tailor the job Description to the guy they want to hire. There is no committee, or open search.

I am a firm believer in the hiring process, though convoluted and unrealistic that it is for state employees.

What UConn does for these coaches is essentially finds the coach, writes a generic job description, closes the job.

That is absolutely not in the spirit of the regulation. I think UConn posting a job that has someone already hired off the books a mockery of that system.

Reaction Score
The difference is they have a requirement that private institutions might not have. As long as they work within and meet the regulations I don’t see an issue.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Huh? The entire purpose of these laws is because we’ve learned that if you let bosses hire based solely on networking, the bottom line is that consciously or not they are more likely to hire people like them. So if you’re telling me these laws getting others into the process don’t go far enough, we are in agreement. But why should we care less about trying to end discrimination in hiring less in coaching than for professors? I’m happy to hear an argument but you didn’t make one. You just said “these are essentially networked positions” which is just saying we don’t care because it has always been otherwise.
If you don't think that 90% of high level positions aren't filled by networking, you are kidding yourself. How do you think AD David Benedict came across Mora? It wasn't through the application process and my guess if the hiring was open to "applications only", Mora wouldn't have given it a thought. I fully understand your logic BL and while the application only process is all inclusive, there are many instances where people are prepped and interview very well but when hired they turn out to be duds or worse. I don't agree that a majority of people who network to hire in fact employ people that mirror themselves.
You mention professors - do you think most universities in this country would hire a conservative leaning person over a liberal if it were one versus the other?

Reaction Score
If you don't think that 90% of high level positions aren't filled by networking, you are kidding yourself. How do you think AD David Benedict came across Mora? It wasn't through the application process and my guess if the hiring was open to "applications only", Mora wouldn't have given it a thought. I fully understand your logic BL and while the application only process is all inclusive, there are many instances where people are prepped and interview very well but when hired they turn out to be duds or worse. I don't agree that a majority of people who network to hire in fact employ people that mirror themselves.
You mention professors - do you think most universities in this country would hire a conservative leaning person over a liberal if it were one versus the other?

YOU ... drifted off into nonsense. In my business school. In my Dad's Pharmacy college; At UConn engineering? I gather you had some higher ed ... so you know if some of the lectures are toxic to you, you can easily avoid. OR ... better ... make your children SAFE and do extensive search on their research before your daughter sits in a classroom. My advice is you should take 20 credits of Statistics every damn semester.

Reaction Score
BL,

Are these positions open or not? They tailor the job Description to the guy they want to hire. There is no committee, or open search.

I am a firm believer in the hiring process, though convoluted and unrealistic that it is for state employees.

What UConn does for these coaches is essentially finds the coach, writes a generic job description, closes the job.

That is absolutely not in the spirit of the regulation. I think UConn posting a job that has someone already hired off the books a mockery of that system.
It's essentially a check the box procedure that happens in many different professions and industries... nothing to get worked up about. You should have seen the dumb things I had to do as a Big 4 Auditor just to check a box...

Reaction Score
BL,

I fully agree that the reality in this situation mocks the law. My solution would not be to cure the problem by removing coaches from the law. My solution would be to say that if the law works well enough for the Attorney General to hire lawyers and UConn to hire professsors, I don’t accept that it can’t apply to football coaches. At least make them look at resumes that might bring them better candidates before just hiring people they’ve already worked with.

Reaction Score
I fully agree that the reality in this situation mocks the law. My solution would not be to cure the problem by removing coaches from the law. My solution would be to say that if the law works well enough for the Attorney General to hire lawyers and UConn to hire professsors, I don’t accept that it can’t apply to football coaches. At least make them look at resumes that might bring them better candidates before just hiring people they’ve already worked with.
The main job of a football coach is to search for and identify high school/college talent that fits within the scheme and culture of the football team. Given that, it doesn't make much logical sense to think that the coach would not do the same thing with his hires, unless you have a bad coach. A regulation or law won't change that.

Reaction Score
Well, as much as I enjoy a good argument, I think I will take a pass on the hiring process discussion and put it down to anxiety about the remaining hires. To quote Shakespeare, much ado about nothing.

So the current status is that Osborn has not yet been announced or confirmed but is almost certainly going to come and coach the DL? Is that right?

So that leaves the DC, The STC, and the OL coaches, right? Have I missed something?

And we are also expecting the Maine QB to hit the portal soon? After their season is over I presume? Is it over?

Any further info, rumors, speculation, recent reading of the tea leaves, innuendos, etc.?

Did we all see that tweet about a supreme being by one of the incoming assistants? Presumably that has been cleaned up by now? Anything else going on?

And, oh, wow, 20 credits of statics every semester. I'll take the under on that one. Doubt that UConn even offers 20 credits in statistics. That's six-plus courses. I have a math degree and never came close to that.

Reaction Score
Have you seen peoples resumes? Everyone is the greatest person that ever existed.

Reaction Score
There must be some consternation over the fact that the university spent $$$ using a search firm and hired outside of that search firm.

Football coaches are making millions for having very specific, valuable skill sets. It would be akin to having to post an ad for an actor and on paper, there would be lots of folks more qualified than Tom Cruise.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
And, oh, wow, 20 credits of statics every semester. I'll take the under on that one. Doubt that UConn even offers 20 credits in statistics. That's six-plus courses. I have a math degree and never came close to that.
I was a combo math-stats major at UConn. Statisticians/data miners rule the world (after those damn actuaries). Knowledge is Power!!

Reaction Score
I was a combo math-stats major at UConn. Statisticians/data miners rule the world (after those damn actuaries). Knowledge is Power!!
When I was young I quickly learned that aerospace engineers ruled the world at that time. So my masters was in ME. But then Six Sigma and CFD came along. Having been sheep dipped in those, I went into program leadership and visiting DC a lot. I wish I knew then what I know now.

Reaction Score
When I was young I quickly learned that aerospace engineers ruled the world at that time. So my masters was in ME. But then Six Sigma and CFD came along. Having been sheep dipped in those, I went into program leadership and visiting DC a lot. I wish I knew then what I know now.
When I was young I thought us civil/structural engineers ruled the world. I have been married now for 30 years and have since learned that the correct answer is “My wife rules my world”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
BL,

This is the Rooney Rule in a different shirt. Yes, they are making a mockery by posting the preferred candidates resume as the job description, but it still allows for other applicants to make their case, assuming they are ever called in.

But coaches belong to the union that includes run of the mill state workers and exempting coaches based on skill/notoriety invites doing the same for other "skilled" workers.

OTOH. Maybe this kind of mockery isn't limited to just FB coaches. Maybe someone should look into that?

Reaction Score
The main job of a football coach is to search for and identify high school/college talent that fits within the scheme and culture of the football team. Given that, it doesn't make much logical sense to think that the coach would not do the same thing with his hires, unless you have a bad coach. A regulation or law won't change that.
I can see both arguments. I want transparency, but I wanted Corey Edsall to stay too.

Reaction Score
Just why??? We don’t need reminder of RE2!! Corey needs to get away from UCONN and his father’s shadow And he will be fine.

Reaction Score

I worked for GE Military Engines first job out of UCONN; and was shocked by the older engineers who would tell me that Airplane engines were a very mature technology and not their future. They jumped to techy stuff related somehow. I still have visions of billions of parts coming together into a T64 military helicopter engine to present costing to the Government auditors.

I wanted to ... like Steven Songheim song ... Make a Hat.

Reaction Score
I worked for GE Military Engines first job out of UCONN; and was shocked by the older engineers who would tell me that Airplane engines were a very mature technology and not their future. They jumped to techy stuff related somehow. I still have visions of billions of parts coming together into a T64 military helicopter engine to present costing to the Government auditors.

I wanted to ... like Steven Songheim song ... Make a Hat.
This was in Lynn? When?

Reaction Score
These job postings are nothing more than checking a regulatory box. They are just white noise. They affect nothing. Nobody gets football coach jobs on a job board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom