Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 28 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Reaction Score
I don't get the handwringing on the DC selection. It seems obvious - and logical - that you wouldn't have the DL & LB & DB slots full without the Plan on the DC. All will be revealed. It would - quite frankly - be better if he was on board on November 30; however in Coaching Carousel world ... YOU can't always get what you want

Reaction Score
JMU - DC Corey Heatherman
Montana - DC Kent Baer
Villanova - DC Ola Adams
South Dakota state - Co-DC Jimmy Rogers/Brian Bergstrom
Sam Houston - DC Clayton Carlin
Montana State - DC Freddie Banks
North Dakota state - HC Matt Entz, DC David Braun
East Tennessee state - DC Billy Taylor

Entz appears to be the only HC in the FCS playoffs coming from the defensive side of the ball.

Out all the coaches listed above there are two DCs that are followed by current coaches on our staff:

Ola Adams, Villanova (followed by OC Carlton, OL Coach Sammis, and RB Coach Barthel)

Corey Hetherman, JMU (followed by OC Carlton & OL Sammis)

Twitter followers don't get you the job, but it seems like these two are the only coaches with connections with our current staff.

Banta55

Hoops since 86"
Reaction Score
He is a defensive minded coach. Technically could coordinate defense on his own if he could so yes, i dont think his dc choice is as important as on the offensive side of the ball
Agree.

Reaction Score
I would assume he has not been announced due to the fact that Michigan is in the playoffs and the special teams coordinator that he followed is part of a bowl game on Christmas
Well, under normal circumstances an Analyst would be released. But UM is playing for a national championship and UConn wants to maintain friendship with Warde. So I can easily see how this scenario is playing out.

Reaction Score
Mora has recently followed Old Dominion Director of Creative Services Kyle Barkle

D5BB1B68-A974-41E8-942F-FC6A13D6BE81.jpeg

Reaction Score
You need all the friends you can get in this world. Especially if you are the AD or the new HC of arguably the worst FBS program in the country. Friends are good. Enemies are bad, especially if you made that enemy via an unforced error on your part. Try to avoid that at all cost.

But as long as we are on the Group W bench with time on our hands, it should be noted that Warde tried to hire the current Broyles award winner in Todd Orlando, who probably would have been great. Suzie Lax thought that the compensation required to do that would be too much. So he hired the previous year's winner. (Did I get previous and current backwards?) Who turned out to be very articulate. To the point of craziness. Who knew? I am sure there are other offenses that enflamed the BY, but I have a difficult time dinging Warde for that.

Maybe, just maybe, a case could be made for the ACC failure, but even there I am pretty sure by the time he went to the islands he know the die had been cast. If he didn't, that would very much surprise me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, under normal circumstances an Analyst would be released. But UM is playing for a national championship and UConn wants to maintain friendship with Warde. So I can easily see how this scenario is playing out.

Far more likely — that just like Randy Edsall, our target is not willing to bail on his current team in advance of important bowl games.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Who cares about that bum, just send him some Dairy Bar and he'll be happy.

Typically to schedule to play schools you need to have friendly ADs..but what do I know.

Reaction Score
But as long as we are on the Group W bench with time on our hands, it should be noted that Warde tried to hire the current Broyles award winner in Todd Orlando, who probably would have been great. Suzie Lax thought that the compensation required to do that would be too much. So he hired the previous year's winner. (Did I get previous and current backwards?) Who turned out to be very articulate.

You sure you’re not talking about Narduzzi instead of Orlando (Orlando has been nominated but never won the Broyles Award). The story w/ Narduzzi was that the Assistant Coaches salary pool wasn’t as robust as he needed it to be and negotiations fell apart.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
PP knows defense or else he wouldn't keep getting jobs in the NFL. He'd be a very good DC for Mora. But we burnt that bridge.
Uh or did he burn that bridge by sucking?

Reaction Score
Far more likely — that just like Randy Edsall, our target is not willing to bail on his current team in advance of important bowl games.
Let's pray that's the case because the other possibilities aren't exactly promising for us.

Reaction Score
You need all the friends you can get in this world. Especially if you are the AD or the new HC of arguably the worst FBS program in the country. Friends are good. Enemies are bad, especially if you made that enemy via an unforced error on your part. Try to avoid that at all cost.

But as long as we are on the Group W bench with time on our hands, it should be noted that Warde tried to hire the current Broyles award winner in Todd Orlando, who probably would have been great. Suzie Lax thought that the compensation required to do that would be too much. So he hired the previous year's winner. (Did I get previous and current backwards?) Who turned out to be very articulate. To the point of craziness. Who knew? I am sure there are other offenses that enflamed the BY, but I have a difficult time dinging Warde for that.

Maybe, just maybe, a case could be made for the ACC failure, but even there I am pretty sure by the time he went to the islands he know the die had been cast. If he didn't, that would very much surprise me.
No one cares about friendship with Warde this has more to do with the analyst asking his new boss to stay on as long as his team is still in the playoff and Mora agreeing to it. Warde Manuel has zero influence on this situation. And Warde was completely blindsided by not getting in to the ACC. He thought it was a done deal and he headed off for a vacation.

Reaction Score
You sure you’re not talking about Narduzzi instead of Orlando (Orlando has been nominated but never won the Broyles Award). The story w/ Narduzzi was that the Assistant Coaches salary pool wasn’t as robust as he needed it to be and negotiations fell apart.
Yeah, Narduzzi. Sorry. Yes the compensation pool did not match his expectation. I should have been more precise on that point.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No one cares about friendship with Warde this has more to do with the analyst asking his new boss to stay on as long as his team is still in the playoff and Mora agreeing to it. Warde Manuel has zero influence on this situation. And Warde was completely blindsided by not getting in to the ACC. He thought it was a done deal and he headed off for a vacation.
And you know all this stuff exactly how? Speculation?

And I thought he and a whole bunch of folks went to a MBB tourney in the islands with a bunch of whale contributors to celebrate the previous year championship. No?

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Some of the doomsayers may need to calm down a little.

1 - hypothetically, if a college team loses its DC to another job do they immediately dismiss the defensive position coaches? Of course not. While we may not end up with who Mora initially felt would be DC, we still can end up with an excellent hire (perhaps even a better hire than the initial target).

2 - This really isn't dissimilar to recruiting players. It well could have been a "who says yes first gets the job" and the target decided to wait to see what other jobs opened up. It could have been that once other coaches started changing jobs, the target decided to see how things fell out. Regardless, there is no reason to believe we cannot land a young, intelligent, ambitious DC.

3 - I believe that it is very likely that the defensive philosophy the Mora wants to run is what we will run regardless of who our DC is.

Reaction Score
And you know all this stuff exactly how? Speculation?

And I thought he and a whole bunch of folks went to a MBB tourney in the islands with a bunch of whale contributors to celebrate the previous year championship. No?
Because it’s pretty common for coaches(analysts too) to stay with their team throughout a playoff run except Lane Kiffin but he’s a different story. And trust me Warde is more concerned about donuts than he is about losing an analyst.

Yeah he was laying on the beach during the day, watching basketball and living it up at night time with the whales. Sounds pretty vacation-y no?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom