Jim Mora’s new staff coming together… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Jim Mora’s new staff coming together…

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Doesn’t Nick Charlton break the prior administrations golden rule, never hire a potential head coach in waiting! Haha- this is a joke

If Noel Mazzone isn’t coming, it maybe because he has other opportunities… or maybe it was the relocation from sunny AZ. Plus not everyone is really up for the challenge we present.

Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Not surprised by these announcements for the coaching staff. My take upon Mora being announced as head coach was he and AD Dave had serious discussions on staffing. The possible candidates were probably settled a couple of weeks ago.

UConn hasn't seen this type of football coach. Articulate, thoughtful, measured, and has a distinct vision for the program.

Mora's job is anything but easy. I really think he is up to the task.

Reaction Score
Is there an Athletic Director of the Year Award?

Obviously, in the end the wins on the field will matter, but Benedict isn’t sitting on his ass with these coaching hires. It seems more and more like he hoped Edsall 2.0 would give him time to find “HIS” guy. As 2.0 struggled, Benedict was working in earnest behind the scenes to make football a pillar of the UConn brand.

Say what you want about him, Benedict cares about UConn and he doesn’t just talk about it. He gets -ish done.

Reaction Score
Screenshot_20211128-113542.png
looks like Corey dropped "UConn" from his bio

Reaction Score
So anyone want to update their forecast on retained staff? At this hour looking/feeling closer to zero…
Unfortunately with nearly zero success on the playing field, its not really a surprise.... we might like some of the coaches a ton, but, bottom line, you gotta be competitive out there.... win more than a few games, show progress out there. Just wasn't happening

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Didn't see this coming... happy about it though.
Listen to his presser from yesterday, he hinted about it. It’s subtle, but given how detail oriented he has been publicly, I strongly suspected that he was equally detail oriented and proactive outside of the public eye.

Still too soon to say, but it sure looks like we got a good one.

Reaction Score
Don't love the Charlton hire on paper based his results -- he had pretty mediocre offenses at Maine, even by CAA standards (pretty much 5th every year in scoring). Love a lot of the other things (previous HC experience, NE guy, young). With that said our offense cannot be worse so welcome Nick!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not that it was reflected in the prior staff, but all these northeastern hires seem to foretell a return to north east recruiting. We have to get back into NJ..temple is down and Rutty has its struggles. I’m guessing Mora will never limit his search for players per se, but every staff has to have some focus and that means reducing time in some areas and increasing it in others. Wonder what this means for us in TX. Seems like our TX efforts will decline (inability to schedule games their not helping), but maybe I am wrong.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Does this cover the "give a young FCS head coach a chance" angle?

Hope he knows his offense. We need that in the absolute worst way.
Oh I don’t know about that, we’ve been doing our offense in the absolute worst way for years.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
An OC and lots of offensive coaches named so far.

Am I seeing it correctly that on the defensive side of the ball only the LB coach has been named? Gotta believe the DC is already in place. Otherwise odd to tell a DC who their LB coach will be.

Reaction Score
Don't love the Charlton hire on paper based his results -- he had pretty mediocre offenses at Maine, even by CAA standards (pretty much 5th every year in scoring). Love a lot of the other things (previous HC experience, NE guy, young). With that said our offense cannot be worse so welcome Nick!
Thing I like about this hire is he's been a head coach at a competitive level with quite a bit of FBS coaching experience in today's game... the younger version Chesney who wants to learn even more... he's not completely ready to run a FBS level program, but willing to take a step back in order to get there

Reaction Score
Like the idea (in theory) of hiring a FCS head coach as a coordinator. Northeast routes.. in his year as OC at Maine they knocked off a FBS team and reached the semifinals of the FCS playoffs as the 12 seed. But only one year of experience as the OC... so certainly reasonable to raise some eyebrows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom