Jim Jabir [Dayton Coach] resigns [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Jim Jabir [Dayton Coach] resigns [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Dayton would be a great job for a young assistant at a P5 school looking for a Head Coach Experience. Stay at Dayton for 3-5 Years and then move up to a P5 School. Of course have to continue to get to the tournament. :)

Reaction Score
Wow. I would assume there's a significant health issue for him to step down at this point. Nearly impossible to get a decent coach now. I suppose one possibility is a coach who had retired or is currently out of the game but looking to get back in.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Honestly, if Dayton is more serious about WCBB than say Cinci, I could see Tonya giving it a had look. She's certainly accomplished nothing at Cinci and has struggled to attract decent players there. Maybe Dayton, with it's stronger history, would be a better fit for her?

Reaction Score
Honestly, if Dayton is more serious about WCBB than say Cinci, I could see Tonya giving it a had look. She's certainly accomplished nothing at Cinci and has struggled to attract decent players there. Maybe Dayton, with it's stronger history, would be a better fit for her?

I think it would be a good move for Tonya at Temple or Jemelle at Cincinnati.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Did Jamelle leave Cinci? You know they come and go so quickly nowadays.

Reaction Score
First, I'd say it would be kinda crappy for a current HC like Jamelle or Tonya to make a largely lateral move with weeks to go before the season. You'd be basically screwing your current players. I highly doubt they'd do that.

Secondly, Jamelle has done little at Cincinnati. I love her but those are the facts. Would seem unlikely Dayton would be interested.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Dayton is not a bad job, as referenced by other posters. They won't have a problem finding a coach that checks all the boxes. I predict the Flyers will find and hire a coach by the end of this month.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First, I'd say it would be kinda crappy for a current HC like Jamelle or Tonya to make a largely lateral move with weeks to go before the season. You'd be basically screwing your current players. I highly doubt they'd do that.

Secondly, Jamelle has done little at Cincinnati. I love her but those are the facts. Would seem unlikely Dayton would be interested.
I thought about that too but then thought maybe Cinci does zero to support WCBB. Dayton has had much more success and maybe the administration is more supportive with funds and what not. You are probably right tho - she's largely been unproductive there (sounds better than saying she's been a failure) and unless there's some extenuating circumstances, I can't see another school being interested.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I thought about that too but then thought maybe Cinci does zero to support WCBB. Dayton has had much more success and maybe the administration is more supportive with funds and what not. You are probably right tho - she's largely been unproductive there (sounds better than saying she's been a failure) and unless there's some extenuating circumstances, I can't see another school being interested.
You are probably correct on all counts. Long time rumors have been that Cinci isn't particularly supportive of its women's program - then again, neither are some other more successful schools. Arizona, for a variety of reasons, kept Butts on long past her welcome with the fans (her record makes Jamelle's look good). It happens. Neither Coach Butts, nor her successor, Adia Barnes, is particularly well paid, especially for a P5 school, although for both it was / is their first HC job (as was Cinci for Jamelle).

As to Dayton, a decent job, but I agree that few coaches would leave their current job. You need someone out of work.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jim is a good guy. I don't like the timing of this. It suggests a health problem.

Reaction Score
It is definitely health related. He has had heart issues in the past (has a pacemaker) and the pressure and expectations after their Elite Eight run has caused him to feel exhausted. He said his kids have been worried about him and he made the decision to resign as he just didn't feel he could give the team his best effort. I am a UD alum and he will definitely be missed. The UD job is a good one as the school and the fans support the program.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
This is a shock, and I'm saddened to hear this. Jabir to me was one of the most unappreciated coaches in WCBB. I hope this is a precautionary thing and that we'll soon see him back on the sidelines once again telling his players to relax and play. Just a great teacher of basketball fundamentals who never got the talent some other coaches did. Some of whom in previous threads I've felt were highly overrated. I'm wishing this fine man a speedy recovery.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I loved the fear-free game, they played against us in the Albany regionals.
Leading at half-time, if I recall...our gals had to really work for that W
Last season was less successful; too bad...great program

And their high strutting band-leader was a hoot as well.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I loved the fear-free game, they played against us in the Albany regionals.
Leading at half-time, if I recall...our gals had to really work for that W
Last season was less successful; too bad...great program

And their high strutting band-leader was a hoot as well.
He was a lot of fun.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Here is a little campus reaction piece. UD campus reacts to women’s basketball coach resignation

Charlie's article cited above contains an embedded video which states they are going to do an expedited search for a new head coach with the Assoc. VP for Athletics "overseeing" the program. The timing of this could not be worse, unless it was midseason, which attests to how tortured Jabir must have been in reaching this difficult decision. Jabir had a very seasoned assistant coach in Jeff House, who I would expect to be in practical charge of day to day operations for the Flyers.

Reaction Score
Thank you--I've had the deepest respect for Jim Jabir since the Dayton game--fantastic coaching job against the best competition in WBB.
I hope and pray that he nor his family is in any serious health issues--but the tone of his message sounded that way.
If he returns to coaching I hope it's in a league in which Uconn WBB participates!!

Reaction Score
This is a shock, and I'm saddened to hear this. Jabir to me was one of the most unappreciated coaches in WCBB. I hope this is a precautionary thing and that we'll soon see him back on the sidelines once again telling his players to relax and play. Just a great teacher of basketball fundamentals who never got the talent some other coaches did. Some of whom in previous threads I've felt were highly overrated. I'm wishing this fine man a speedy recovery.

He came across, in the way he interacted with each kid every time they came off the floor, as a real Gentleman and father figure to his kids--and us fans. Really likable--the way Chris Dailey hugged him at the end of the game, backs that up..JordyG--you are right, you could see the fundamentally soundness of his Dayton Team--and they did not deviate from a very excellent game plan!!

Reaction Score
It is definitely health related. He has had heart issues in the past (has a pacemaker) and the pressure and expectations after their Elite Eight run has caused him to feel exhausted. He said his kids have been worried about him and he made the decision to resign as he just didn't feel he could give the team his best effort. I am a UD alum and he will definitely be missed. The UD job is a good one as the school and the fans support the program.

Coaching Div 1 dynamic team (Dayton) is exhausting for good hearts--weak hearts tend to make serious, hard charging, people to run out of steam--it is statement of his dedication to his team that he was willing to expend that waning energy on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom